TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

View Poll Results: Would your parents care?
Yes 4 12.12%
No 24 72.73%
They wouldn't approve but wouldn't stop us 5 15.15%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 19th 2011, 06:36 PM

I'm curious. My parents don't care. My sister's ex-boyfriend was Indian and they couldn't care less.

As for religion they wouldn't care either, they're Buddhists and I'm an Atheist.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Riddikulus Offline
The magic word... expelliarmus
I've been here a while

Name: Ask me :)

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 19th 2011, 06:40 PM

My parents really wouldn't mind, they are very open minded about things liked that, which is good. :-)

'Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics'

Helplink mentor 19/03/11
LiveHelp operator 25/04/11
Self Harm Mod 30/07/11
Chat Mod 16/01/12
Chit-Chat mod 7/05/12
General Health mod 13/10/12
Buddy 4/06/12

RIP Peter <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 19th 2011, 06:58 PM

My mom told me that it wouldn't bother her, but that she'd warn us that we might face adversity because of it. I'm pretty sure my dad would feel the same way, he'd just want to be sure that the guy treated me right. My extended family is a little more judgmental for some reason so I'd be afraid to have him meet them, but hopefully they wouldn't do or say anything stupid. As for the religion thing, I'm not really sure. We aren't religious so if I dated a more religious guy it might raise eyebrows, but as long as his views weren't converting or too extreme I don't think they'd care.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 19th 2011, 07:44 PM

I don't think my parents would care about race. They might care about culture or immigration status, but those are separate issues from race. =P They might care about religion, simply because they would worry about our compatibility in the long-term, how we would raise our kids, etc. They certainly wouldn't stop me from dating those individuals, but they might ask me if this could be a problem in the future. Basically, they'd just want me to think about it, and only date if I was absolutely sure it wouldn't be a problem. =)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ancora Imparo Offline
XVI VIII MMXIV. ♥
I've been here a while

Name: Jake

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 19th 2011, 08:33 PM

I don't think my parents would care as much to be honest, they would probably just want me to be happy.

When we're lost in the madness, kindness is wisdom.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Ancora Imparo 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 19th 2011, 09:25 PM

Mine wouldn't mind, as long as I was happy with the person

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 19th 2011, 09:50 PM

I've actually dated people of different races and religions before. My mother was fine with it and my father was usually fine with it. I say usually because although he has some racism toward blacks, lots of his racism is based on how he views stereotypical black behaviour, such as ghettos, slang, wearing this "gangsta" look, etc... . When the person is respectable then he doesn't mind. The only concerns both of my parents share are that any adversities we faced, we could get through and my academic career has a higher priority (which I agree with). That is, if me dating someone results in my academic performance getting poor, then my parents say I need to think rationally and practically in looking out for myself in the future. This is something I do agree with and for some relationships I've had, I broke it off because I wasn't doing well enough in school and each time, it was never pretty for them.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
FŁhrer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 19th 2011, 10:07 PM

Well, I'm dating a ginger so I guess not =p
But seriously, they wouldn't mind, my dad may joke about it but he'd make a joke no matter what they were like, in a humorous way, not offensive.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 19th 2011, 10:14 PM

Someone from a diffrent race no.
Someone from a diffrent religion there may be a conflict.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 19th 2011, 11:21 PM

I don't think my family would mind if I dated someone of a different religion, but I think they would mind if I dated an atheist. Actually, I know they would mind. But as far as race, I think they would find it a bit odd but they wouldn't care.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#11 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 20th 2011, 01:05 AM

My parents wouldn't care at all.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Nicole26 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 20th 2011, 01:27 AM

My parents wouldnt mind at all as long as I was happy then they'd be fine with it.

Sometimes...
you just need to...
Runaway...
To see who will follow you.

It's not easy to reply to "are you okay?" when you can't remember what okay feels like...

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 20th 2011, 01:28 AM

My parents are extremely open minded. They wouldn't care

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Chromata Offline
Princess Extraordinaire
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Holly

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 20th 2011, 02:18 AM

I'm pretty sure that my mother wouldn't mind me dating someone of another race. The same goes for religion, although she wouldn't be okay with me dating someone who was ridiculously devout.

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." -- Louis L'Amour

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Linds Offline
Linds =p
Not a n00b

Name: Lindsey

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 20th 2011, 05:04 PM

My parent's would kill me. They are extremely close minded and don't belive that it should happen. They made a big deal out of it when I dated a guy that wasn't Baptist. I mean really you're trying to make me break up with someone because they aren't Baptist!

(#16 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 20th 2011, 09:00 PM

Nope, almos certainly not.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 21st 2011, 10:33 AM

My mum would care if I was in a relationship with someone who was violent or treated me badly. Race or religion doesn't change who the person is. If I'm with someone who makes me happy, my mum would be happy.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 21st 2011, 06:13 PM

Yeah my parents have made it clear they'd be upset.

I was once dating someone of a different race without my parents knowing. They thought we were just friends. My mom had the nerve to ask me to please not date him if he asked /rolls eyes. I'm sure she'd be happy to know our relationship didn't last very long.

Obviously though, my parents disapproval wouldn't stop me from doing it. And they sure as hell wouldn't say anything to the persons face about them being unhappy with my choice of partner.

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 21st 2011, 06:56 PM

Nope. I'm not religious so that isn't a big deal. And I could care less about race. My dad would care, but he is stupid and I don't care what he thinks.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
SnapCracklePop Offline
After all this time? Always <3
Not a n00b

Name: Annie

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 21st 2011, 08:34 PM

They wouldn't dislike him for his religion, they're pretty open minded.
My dad would probably tease me if i dated someone who was any religion, as he is a firm athiest. But only jokingly, just as he would if i dated someone who supported a different football team to him. And he wouldn't say anything to him.
My mum wouldn't mind at all, as long as he wasn't violent/mean to me.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 21st 2011, 09:07 PM

i dont know, i dont think they would mind but i dont know, they arent racist but i dont know how they would react if i dated someone from a different religion, my parents are not really religious, but they seem to accept people do have different religions ect, but i don't think they would mind to much as long as they didnt try to impose thier religion on me ect i dont think my parents would mind to much, with my parents i would have to be in that situation to reallt know the answer.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race/religon? - February 21st 2011, 11:32 PM

I'm not really sure, to be all honest. My half-sister married a man of a different race, and it hasn't been easy for her. My mom has always discouraged me from dating that race. (I won't specify the race, because I don't want to offend anyone.)

My mom can be judgmental, though she claims she's not racist. I mean, she has friends of all races, and all that jazz. But she is prone to making hasty generalizations.

I don't know how she'd feel if I dated like a Jewish person, or a Buddhist. She's always been open to me making my own decisions when it comes to religion.

She might warn me of the 'struggles' I might come across, but ultimately she'd know that it's my decision, and I honestly think she'd be accepting of whoever I brought home.

Personally, because I have never brought someone home for her to meet, I think she'd just be happy I found someone who I cared about, and who cared about me.

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

Closed Thread