TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
banana_face77 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Elisa

I love my parents, but sometimes... - April 8th 2011, 04:46 AM

My parents have been divorced for exactly a decade. They both have found new spouses and all seems happy. On the surface at least.
My mom is super controlling of me because she feels threatened by my dad. Every time I go over there, she asks me if he is conspiring against her. She asks me this because both of my brothers moved out of my mom's house when they were about 17 and into my dad's because they couldn't stand my mom anymore.
That has been the ongoing struggle for a while.
Everytime I go over to his house, she cries as well. She makes it hard on me to go over there. Because I am such a people pleaser, I find myself staying at her house for long periods at a time because I feel bad. Now, I only see my dad once a week, even though he lives like 10 minutes away. He gets mad at me because I don't see him enough. I'm stuck in this paradox and I don't know what to do.
I love my mom, but she is too controlling and hasn't really been a "motherly" figure in my life.
I love my dad, but he doesn't understand me or the pressures that I face.
They both use me against the other, even 10 years later.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: I love my parents, but sometimes... - April 8th 2011, 06:07 AM

Elisa,

I am really sorry that they are putting you in the middle of their issues. Have you tried talking to your parents about this? I think you really need to talk to your mom and tell her that you love your dad and you want to seem him, but she makes it extremely difficult because she makes you feel bad. Also explain to her what you guys do when you're there. Assure her that you aren't conspiring against her, and that you love each other the same. This should put her mind at ease more. As for your dad, explain to him that you're doing what you can to see him. Tell your mom that your dad wants to see you more. I think you should ultimately decide when you get to see each parent (with moderation). If you want to see your dad twice or three times a week, push for that. You have a right to see him. He is your dad. Your mom can feel the way that she feels, but she needs to be more mature about it. I hope all goes well. Take care. <3

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
Closed Thread