TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CupCakeX Offline
02.07.10 ♥
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Amber

Exclamation Mom kicked me out for a dumb reason - May 2nd 2011, 02:25 AM

I stayed at my bfs all weekend and i came home b4 my curfew cuz i had some stuff i had to do b4 school tomm, well my mom came home in a bad mood from work and was yelling b.c the house was a mess and my brother didn't clean it, i went to call my bf and she told me i wasn't aloud to use HER phone... that's when i told her to stop yelling and taking things out on me, i wish i didn't come home so early now. that's when she said pack your shit and leave.. so that's what i did. i went to my bf's. When i got there she told me that tomm after school i wont have a car b.c shes taking it... i asked my uncle if i can use his jeep till i can buy my own car. I do have a Job as a CNA and my uncle had said b4 that if i needed a car i could use the jeep..... Id rather make a decision that I'm going to regret than regret not taking the chance... i just wont some advice on what to do.. please!!!

P.s i am 17, ill be 18 the end of may

Ich Liebe dich ♥

(#2 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Mom kicked me out for a dumb reason - May 2nd 2011, 03:20 AM

Contact police now. You could get cash out of your mother before the end of this month, when you are legally an adult. Get help now and you could sue for the safety and money that is rightfully yours as a child.

Good luck.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Mom kicked me out for a dumb reason - May 2nd 2011, 07:25 AM

Legally your mother is obliged to provide you education, so if her booting you out affects your access to education, there may be legal consequences to that. Regarding her taking the car, it comes down to who actually owned the car. Did she own it but allow you to use it, have insurance in your name, etc...? Or, did you have the car title in your name? If it was in her name, then it always was hers, she was lending it to you and has no obligation to give it to you should she refuse.

It seems so odd for this to occur if there wasn't past tension or threats of you leaving. JKmadu619 mentioned suing her but I'm not sure what you could sue her for. Granted, I don't know any of the history between you and her.

I'd say the best thing to do would be to approach your mother and see if she lets you back in the house. Doing this without police present would be the best way to stabilize the relationship. That said, it rarely is the fault of only one side, so whatever history you have together, some of the bad issues are your fault and some are her fault. I say this so if you do approach her, you don't put all the blame on her. You are fortunate to have other family who gladly took you in and are very open to having you use their possessions. This makes me wonder, have you left home in the past and does your uncle attempt to stabilize the relationship between your mother and yourself?

Also, how old is your brother? If he is the same age as you are or older, then perhaps he could help stabilize the relationship between your mother and yourself.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Mom kicked me out for a dumb reason - May 2nd 2011, 05:30 PM

I was thinking her mother could be sued for abandonment of a minor. The OP was not violent nor threatened her mother, meaning it is abondonment. That's how it works in Canada anyway, maybe it's different in the states.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Mom kicked me out for a dumb reason - May 2nd 2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKmadu619 View Post
I was thinking her mother could be sued for abandonment of a minor. The OP was not violent nor threatened her mother, meaning it is abondonment. That's how it works in Canada anyway, maybe it's different in the states.

- Justin
Generally, you can't sue for MONEY in abandonment cases. A judge can rule that the parent(s) must care for their child until they turn 18, and the mother could be charged with child neglect/abandonment if she fails to provide the proper care... but (in the United States, at least) you can't really place a monetary value on abandonment; therefore, you can't sue for money. I mean, what is the monetary value of being kicked out of the house for a day? No meals, so sue for a few dollars. And... that's pretty much it. It would be a different story if the mother prevented the OP from completing her high school degree... then you could determine how much money she would have received as a high school graduate vs. someone who doesn't have a high school degree. You could sue for the price difference at that point, and you could sue for whatever the cost of a GED program would be... but for one day's worth? There's just no way to put a dollar value on that.

I agree with calling the police, though. Your mother is not allowed to kick you out of the house until you're 18. So for the next month, you can at least get your stuff together and make plans for when you turn 18. It's better than living with your boyfriend and not having access to any of your stuff.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Mom kicked me out for a dumb reason - May 3rd 2011, 06:15 PM

Amber,

I'm sorry that you're going through this. Your mom may have been mad, but in my opinion, that's no reason to kick you out of the house. Also, you are 17, so legally I wouldn't think that she can do that yet. I think that you should give your mother a chance to cool down, stay with your boy friend for a day. After that, talk to your mom, figure out if you can come to some sort of agreement. Talk about the reason why she kicked you out. She might have just kicked out out because of anger. I know that people do things out of anger a lot, so just give her a chance to cool down. And then talk to her. Best of luck.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
Closed Thread