TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LazzaBeep Offline
Nothing Is Impossible :)
Not a n00b

Name: Laura

Family Problems... AGAIN!!!! - June 12th 2011, 07:12 PM

I have left servral posts about my family, I've had lots of advice from you guys but things just seem to be getting worse

My 10 year old sister, Katie, had ADHD. She is a very big handful for everyone in the house. She is on medication and is on the waiting list of counseling. She is just horrible to live with. I know this may sound selfish to some of you. Don't get me wrong, I love her, but every day there is a horrible tantrum, kicking, screaming, abuse. Myself and my mother have both been hospitalized by her violence. Things just don't seem to be getting better with her...

On top of this, My mom has recently been diagnoised with Diabetes. She is on medication too. But she is finding things really hard. She has to deal with Katie, her college course and myself and my other sister, Chloe.
She is always in bed feeling ill or there just because she is fed up of everything.

I am trying my best to help. Been 18, I am cleaning, cooking and taking care of my sisters. Its too much pressure. I am juggling everything at home, my college work, getting into University and a social life. Its all to hard for me at the moment.
I know I have to do these things to help everyone, but things are just to hard, I can't cope much longer...

Do You Take The Non-Believers, Because I'm A Non-Believer

There are 6 billion people in this world. But sometimes all you need is 1.

Send a message via Skype™ to LazzaBeep 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Family Problems... AGAIN!!!! - June 13th 2011, 01:25 AM

Hey there, Laura! I'm not familiar with social services in the UK, but can you or your mom get in touch with the person who set up a counseling appointment for your sister, and explain that your sister's behavior is becoming more severe, to the point where some people have been hospitalized due to physical abuse? Your sister may be able to move up the list a bit if they are aware of the situation.

In the meantime, I would talk to psych services at your university and see if they can offer family therapy of some sort. Your mother would have to be willing to bring your sister to campus for those sessions, but it may be better than nothing. I would also talk to the doctor who prescribed your sister's medication. S/he may be able to offer some temporary counseling, or refer you to an agency that offers counseling.

I applaud you for putting so much time and effort into helping out your family, but remember that you can't help them if you let your own physical and mental health deteriorate. So take some time to be alone and enjoy your freedom. Ask your mom to call friends when she needs additional support, because you can't be expected to take on ALL the burdens in this family.

Closed Thread