TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tristen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tristen

bedtime and movies - July 15th 2011, 09:04 PM

hi was kind of wondering why its like this? so i'm staying over at my grandparents house with everyone and they make me g2 bed at the same time as all my younger cousins at 8:30. they are like little kids, 5, 8 and 10 and me who is 13. my other cousins who r like 1 and 2 years older then me get to stay up with the adults and watch a movie every night and g2 bed at like 10 or 11. i dont understand y i am being grouped with the little kids when im a teenager 2.

its not fair.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: bedtime and movies - July 15th 2011, 10:43 PM

Hey, Tristen! If I recall correctly, you've posted a few times about how you're being treated like a child (including something about sitting in a child's car seat?). I don't remember who said it, but there was a member who told you that if you want to be treated like an adult (or in this case, like your slightly older cousins), then you need to act like an adult.

Do you know when my parents starting giving me more privileges? It was when I started doing things around the house without being told beforehand, when I showed my parents I could manage my life and behave in a responsible manner. Arguing, pleading, and bargaining didn't get me anywhere. When I started running my own life and no longer had to ask my parents for things, they realized on their own that I could be given more freedom. They knew that I wouldn't abuse of my ability to stay up late by pulling all-nighters and failing to complete homework assignments. They trusted that I would still be able to manage my life despite my new privileges... that the new-found freedom wouldn't get to my head.

You're 13, so maybe you haven't had too many opportunities to prove your independence to your parents... but the good news is that it's never too late to start. You're right, you're a teenager... so start acting like the most responsible teenager in the entire world! When your parents see how incredibly mature you are, they'll have no reason to restrict you to an 8:30 bedtime. You'll be on the same level as your older cousins.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: bedtime and movies - July 16th 2011, 01:06 AM

Hey there. I, too, remember your posts about being treated like a child. And I remember saying that in order to be treated like you're older and more mature, you have to act as such. Maybe try emulating the actions of your older cousins, or beyond that. I think that could really help out. Another thing you could do is simply ask for more privaledges. There is no harm in doing that. Tell them exactly what more it is you want, and ask for a compromise. Robin brings up a great point- do some chores around the house. PROVE to them that you're ready for more privaledges, and that you want it as well. Take initiative. If it doesn't work the first time, try it again. Keep doing these things and it should eventually pay off.

Every parent is different. Meaning, the privaledges that parents give children vary greatly from family to family. Some parents let their kids do whatever they want, where as other parents have strict rules they enforce. You're right at that age where you're starting to get more mature, and ready to handle more privaledges and responsibilities. However, your parents/grandparents might not be ready to grant you these things yet. Prove to them you can handle adult/teenage privaledges.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Tristen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tristen

Re: bedtime and movies - July 22nd 2011, 08:47 PM

both of u thanx 4 ur suggestions

Closed Thread