TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Am I in the right? - September 27th 2011, 10:05 AM

I have an iPod touch and my mum is constantly nagging me to let her use it. When she does use it she doesn't know what she's doing, she "loses" pages all the time (I don't know what she's on about), asks me how to go on google, asks me to search for things that don't exist etc.

ALL she uses it for is Safari and to watch the occasional video and she can't do that well.

She wants one for Christmas. She asked me to buy her one, a 8GB one is 193 -____- if I spend 200 on her then I will have to spend 200 on my sister and my dad. Plus, she doesn't even know how to use it. She would be asking me every 5 seconds to turn it on or to find a page.

Now she's calling me selfish for not letting her have mine or not buying her one At least I can use the damn thing.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount18

Edit avatar

Re: Am I in the right? - September 27th 2011, 12:12 PM

Hey, Kayledee.

Try explaining to her that she doesn't know how to use it well, and that she'd be asking for help, and it'd be best for her to not have one. I don't think you're being selfish at all, because you're trying to be careful with your money. She doesn't seem to be willing to learn how to use the piece of technology.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Am I in the right? - September 27th 2011, 01:09 PM

Maybe it's a present that you can all pitch in on. Tell her that you're not going to help her learn how to work it, becayse there are manual, and apple people who know everything there is to know about an ipod touch. I don't think you're selfish at all though. If you don't want to let her have it, then don't. I would never in a million years let mom have my I pod. So she go her own. Good luck.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Am I in the right? - September 27th 2011, 06:44 PM

I understand this all too well....

Being of your mum's generation, we don't have the same experience and ability as you guys do with all these techno electric gadgets, yet we find them irresistible and fascinating. And totally confusing. Thankfully, we have more adroit children who we can bother with truly infantile questions which show how inept we are and the extent of the techno generation gap! I recall growing up and having to reset the VCR (remember them?) after every power glitch as my folks couldn't get the '12:00' to stop blinking mindlessly!

OK, I agree that what's yours is yours, a little sharing is Ok, but there are limits to that. I think it's Ok for her to want her own. I think it's OK for her to ask for a Christmas/birthday gift. But, maybe not have you be the sole purchaser of such an expensive toy. Limits, limits, limits. You just have to be kind about them!

Make it a family gift, and make mum's instruction a family project so you're all sharing in the responsibility (burden?) of helping poor old mum out.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Am I in the right? - September 27th 2011, 09:30 PM

It seems to me like her words were sparked by a pang of jealousy, due to the fact that not only do you have an iPod, but that you know how to use it.

I think it was a very unfair comment, as 200 is a lot of money to spend on someone, even if it's your mum and you shouldn't be guilt-tripped into buying Christmas presents.

I agree with the others who suggested that it be a joint present from you and the rest of your family.

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Am I in the right? - September 28th 2011, 02:16 AM

I definitely think you're in the right. That's a lot of money to spend for a present that you're not sure she'll know how to use. Another poster said that it might be something you could all pitch in on. I think that's a much better idea! Talk to your dad and sister about it. At the same time, try to be patient with her when she's using your iPod. Don't yell at her, but talk to her calmly about what you're thinking and why you're reluctant to let her use it.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

Closed Thread