TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Need a small amount of help - March 18th 2012, 01:45 AM

Okay so I used to go to a therapist, but my parents won't let me go to her anymore. This is because she called Child Protective Services on my mom. But I still want to go to therapy. So how do I get my parents to take me back to therapy?

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Need a small amount of help - March 18th 2012, 02:03 AM

If you don't mind my asking, why did the therapist call CPS? Is there an ongoing investigation/open case file with CPS? If so, you may be able to speak to a social worker about having therapy mandated. Generally, there are certain requirements your mom will have to meet in order to have the case closed, and ensuring you see a therapist a certain number of times could become one of those requirements.

I mean, under normal circumstances, I would suggest listing the benefits of therapy to your parents... but since there has been (actual or suspected) abuse or neglect, I'm not sure discussing this with your parents would get you anywhere (nor might it be safe, if there has been abuse). It might be best to get another trust adult (ex. your former therapist, a social worker, a teacher) involved.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Need a small amount of help - March 18th 2012, 02:28 AM

She called them because my mom would grab me and would tighten her grasp around me. I would tell her to let go, but she would only grab me more.

Thanks, I was thinking about asking a teacher.

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Need a small amount of help - March 18th 2012, 06:16 AM

You can always contact your school social worker, and work with them. I think its great that you are so keen on wanting to have someone to talk to, and someone that you can trust. So I would seek help, talk to teachers, school administrators, social workers, and find someone you can feel comfortable talking to. Also, try to find information on programs you can join, or phone numbers you can call 24/7. There are tons of places you can go to talk to people, and to seek help. If you still 100% want to go back to your therapist, try to contact her/him and tell them that your parents wont let you see them, and you really need someone to talk to. In most cases, they will try to seek alternatives for you, and will try to get you help. Keep trying!

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Need a small amount of help - March 18th 2012, 03:17 PM

Thanks, I kind of just want to stick to my therapist. She knows my story already and I don't want to keep having to tell others. I would feel too much pain.

-Goodnight Tonight

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Need a small amount of help - March 18th 2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceLeeDemarcus View Post
Thanks, I kind of just want to stick to my therapist. She knows my story already and I don't want to keep having to tell others. I would feel too much pain.
Understandable, but under the circumstances, not possible. Even if she'd agree, the trust btw'n your mom and this therapist is destroyed, making any work with your mom impossible...which isn't a good thing.

Talk with your mom about finding a new therapist, and maybe involving her in the therapy so when these things come up, they can be addressed in therapy.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Need a small amount of help - March 18th 2012, 06:12 PM

Yeah but I don't feel that my therapist did anything wrong. She was just trying to get me help. No one knew how things were going to change.

-Goodnight Tonight

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Need a small amount of help - March 18th 2012, 11:51 PM

Rachel, it's not so much if your therapist did anything 'wrong'..it's the consequence of her calling the State....your mom just doesn't trust her as a result. I'm not excusing this..just explaining it. By calling the State, mom got into trouble. And her response was to get angry at the therapist for doing that, so she pulled you out of treatment. If she's angry with her or doesn't trust her..regardless of the reason or her justification..therapy won't work.

I understand you liked this therapist and you don't want to start over. The important thing is to start over anyways, therapy is a good thing for you. I'd suggest that very first meeting include your mom, so you and she can talk with your new doc about what happened and get it out of the way.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Need a small amount of help - March 19th 2012, 12:07 AM

Okay, I understand what you are saying. But would my mom let me go see another therapist? Or would she most likely think she'll get in trouble with the state again? I mean, I know you don't know my mom, just put it into sense of the situation.

-Goodnight Tonight

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Need a small amount of help - March 19th 2012, 12:22 AM

I think the issue is your need for therapy, which remains. She allowed you to go before b/c she recognized that need, surely she recognizes you still need it. Her issue isn't your need, it's the therapist's reaction. Try to refocus her on the former.

I don't know exactly what it was that you told the therapist that prompted her to call CPS (other than what you shared here), nor do I know the reporting laws in your state. But, the report has been made, so it's done. The new doc would only have to report any new indications of you being at risk. That should be discussed at that first meeting, too...your history together and his reporting obligations. You and mom have a responsibility to keep it under control. The doc cannot report something that doesn't happen.

That's why I said you and mom together should be at that first meeting to discuss what happened and get it out of the way. She needs to trust this new doc, and the best way of doing that is to meet with him initially, and on an ongoing basis so he has info about your relationship and the stuff that goes on from not only you, but her as well.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Need a small amount of help - March 19th 2012, 01:26 AM

Okay, I'll do my best to talk to my mom. Thank you so much for the help.

-Goodnight Tonight

Closed Thread