TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Food and Recipes Discuss cooking, your favourite foods, and share recipes here.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Need some thoughts on meals? - July 9th 2018, 01:07 AM

I'm struggling a bit to come up with meals.

This month some of the meals I'll be making is stir fry with noodles (not huge on rice), Ramen (maybe), beef fajita's with Spanish rice. I have stuff to make Mac and cheese with Broccoli and bacon.

I need stuff that will be good to make for dinner and use for lunch. I tend to struggle with left over meat (yay for this months meals) so would be open to vegetarian meals. The biggest issue with vegetarian meals is I'm not 100% sure how to cook/use/make tofu (open to learning) and I need them to be easy meals.

I'd be making these meals after work and sometimes I'm exceptionally anxious (cooking increases the anxiety).

I did well with meals last month but I want to try and change things up for August. (I did most of my meal prepping and shopping for July)

I like Soups, pasta dishes, Eggplant dishes and zucchini dishes.

Thoughts or ideas? I'm trying to save money by taking lunch with me to work and I feel better bringing lunch (making my dinners).

I don't have a ton of experience with cooking. I can cook but I prefer easy meals and I like things I can heat up. I don't mind salads and will be taking some salad to work this week... But I don't like cold lunches (if that makes sense.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Need some thoughts on meals? - July 9th 2018, 01:33 AM

If you have anxiety, would it be worth looking at cooking as a fun project? I have a lot of anxiety but I am also super ADHD and find cooking fun because it's like a fun little experiment.

I'll hook you up with a few of my favourite vegan blogs (I know they're not vegetarian, but, well, these vegan chefs know their stuff from what I can see so...)

- Sweet Potato Soul
- Oh She Glows
- Bianca Zapatka

All of them have Instagram and websites, and the girl who runs Sweet Potato Soul has a YouTube channel.

Personally, I don't really like tofu, but you can marinade them and essentially use it like you'd use chicken. Also, if you soak cashews to soften them up, that goes really nice in pasta sauces. You can also get meatless beef ground, meatless sausages etc. if you're intentionally trying to reduce your meat consumption and need to get used to it.

Also, if you can afford a slow cooker, those are life savers. You can make big pots of chili, soup etc.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Need some thoughts on meals? - July 9th 2018, 03:43 AM

Cooking causes anxiety due to my eating disorder. Anything pertaining to food makes me anxious. I do enjoy cooking but due to my ed cooking is something that constantly makes me anxious so the more difficult a meal is the less likely I will be able to cook it. It will increase my anxiety and then I'll continue putting it off.

I will look at the blogs that you suggested. Thank you.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Need some thoughts on meals? - July 9th 2018, 03:55 AM

That's totally understandable.

I'm not sure if this would help or not, but I struggled with an ED too, I certainly wasn't as "bad" as some experienced it, but I "get it" so I'd just make food for other people, like I think making macarons and cakes and stuff is really fun but I rarely eat it myself because I can't shake the mentality that it's "poison" but it allowed me to expand into other foods that are actually healthy, like I started experimenting with pasta sauces, which is really fun and I can freeze lots of that so it's not like I have an obligation to eat the whole thing of pasta, or I'll try making hummus with different flavours (garlic, roasted red pepper, whatever else) because, idk, why not??? I guess for me, cooking changed my relationship to food a bit because I just treated it like a fun experiment and I'd just remind myself that I could freeze it or give it away if I didn't/couldn't realistically consume it all myself, I guess it helped that I would separate the action of cooking from the actual consumption, hence why I'd bake stuff and then just give it away because I thought the part of being in the kitchen was so much fun and new I'd be triggered if I sat down and ate, like, 10 butter tarts or whatever (yes, my issue was definitely binging then wanting to purge, so even though 10 butter tarts is an exaggeration and it was really only 3 or 4... well, you get my point). So the more I did it, the more I was like "I'll just cook this, freeze everything but what I need for 1 meal / give away the goodies" the more I got comfortable.

Any ways, I am rambling, I just thought I'd share my approach because I want to help

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ditzy Mermaid Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Ariel<3

Re: Need some thoughts on meals? - July 9th 2018, 06:59 AM

Hey,
So I have a couple recipies I really like and they are basically made in an oven, all you have to do is brown the meat on the stove first and mix whatever you need.These are weight watchers but they say nothing abour calories so you should be fine while looking at the recipes. But I understand if you don't want to.
this is a stuffed cheeseburger bell pepper they are great reheated. This is a favorite of mine.
Here is a cheese chicken, broccoli and rice casserole. This one was a little dry for us so you may want to add some more the cheese sauce.

I hope these are helpful. I love both of these dishes.
Your Friend,
Frankie<3

Out in the ocean
Swimming wild and free
Oh, how I wish
I was the mermaid
I was meant to be
Poem by me