TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death and Grieving Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Unhappy Grandma. - April 20th 2009, 07:25 PM

Grandma passed away.
She'd been suffering from dementia and Alzheimer's disease for about twelve years. She stopped recognizing me when I was still pretty young, so I never got to know her as well as I wanted to.

She was a great woman. She worked as a nurse and a bookkeeper, and raised four children. She loved nature, music, and poetry. She used to always sit at the breakfast table in the seat facing the window, because she loved to see the birds, the trees, and the sky. She used to play fifties music on the piano in the dining room. She used to read the work of obscure poets who wrote mostly about nature, hope, and love.

After she died, we stayed at Grandpa's house for a few days so he wouldn't have to be alone. He insisted he was happy that she wasn't suffering anymore, and that she was in heaven watching over all of us. But there were other times when he would stare off into space, and his eyes would fill with tears, and he would have to turn away for a minute.

While at his house, I looked at some of Grandma's books. There are inscriptions in the front of some that read "Charlotte ----, Christmas 1941" in her handwriting. She read books about science, philosophy, and literature. I never got to talk about those things with her.

She and Grandpa had been married almost 62 years when she died. Grandpa hasn't taken off his wedding ring, and I don't think he ever will.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Anna Skye Offline
live and let love...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Grandma. - April 20th 2009, 08:04 PM

Lorelei-

I am so sorry for your loss, hon. I lost a beloved grandmother when I was younger, and the experience still affects me to this day. The pain you're feeling right now will remain for a bit, but trust me when I say it dulls to a state of bittersweet remembrance, and it will get better. I'm sure you've heard all of this before, but it's important to focus on the fact that she's not suffering any more, and that she's much happier wherever she is now :]
I'm always here if you need to talk - I know how you feel, and I know it sucks

peace and love

If you read this signature,
know that someone cares about you.
You are not alone.

<3 Contact me

last cut: 4 august 2010
last purge: 13 march 2010

Closed Thread