TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death and Grieving Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stephe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Stephe

My Dog Died - August 3rd 2016, 08:54 PM

My life was fine, so I hadn't posted on here for a while but that all changed yesterday. Everyday I walk my neighbor's dog with them, yesterday I took a step outside and found my dog on his side in the dirt, dead. What scared me most was the lifeless stare in his eyes and his mouth wide open. I'm 14, I should not be seeing that. I ran inside to tell my parents. My dog was a greyhound, he weighed almost 100 pounds so it was hard getting him in the car to take him to the vet to get cremated. It was just so hard watching a lifeless body being put in the back of a car. They took him out on a stretcher and we left.

When our last dog died, I was 10ish so I didn't really understand death. My other 2 dogs seem upset, but I've had a hard time going through the steps of grieving. I let him outside to play in the front yard, which I am not really allowed to do, but I figured what's the harm since the other one accidentally got out. He was outside for less than 45 minutes and didn't come in with the other one, so I think he was dead before then. He didn't have foam was reassured me that he didn't die of a heat stroke because of me, I think it was a heart attack. I'm just stuck in the depression stage and want to move on. I know it's been a day but I hate feeling sad. Any Advice?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: My Dog Died - August 3rd 2016, 09:15 PM

None of this was your fault. You couldn't have predicted that this would happen and i can tell that you are a good dog owner who did what you can to show your dog love and affection. When my dog died I did start blaming myself as well, asking myself if maybe it was something I gave her to eat, etc. But there's only so much that dwelling on how it could have happened can do. In the end it will cause you more harm to dwell on something like that because honestly it seems so unpredictable and even unavoidable.

I think that one thing you should do is remember that your dog felt the love you and your family gave him. It seems as if he was really well taken care of and was happy, being walked and shown love every day. It doesn't seem as if he was suffering and it happened pretty fast.

It is important that you allow yourself to express yourself however you need to. For instance, your family members are probably upset about this as well and it can be a very big help if all of you can grieve together and get each other through this. You can also talk to friends. My therapist even recommended doing something like a scrapbook when my dog died. You can even do things like write him a letter getting out the things you'd have wanted to say.

Maybe you can find ways to express yourself such a writing, art, or music. Exercise is another way to release stress.

It is important to take care of yourself. Let yourself cry if you need to. Do nice things for yourself such as eat your favorite foods or take a warm bath. you deserve it.

It does get easier over time. It is also okay to feel sad. Let yourself process what happened. It does get better.

I am so sorry for your loss.

-Dez

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: My Dog Died - August 4th 2016, 01:34 AM

I agree with what Dez has said. It's not your fault and there's no way you could have predicted this. I like the idea of focusing on the good memories and on all the love you gave him. I'm sure your dog passed on knowing that he was very well loved.

Seeing death up close and personal like that can be shocking, so take your time to process what you've been through. Distractions can help when you're feeling sad, but try not to distract too much because that can get in the way of your grief and cause you to possibly bottle more feelings inside.

Do you have your dog's favorite toy, or his food bowl? When you're feeling a little better, it might help you to have that around since it is kind of like a piece of him.

Try to take it one day at a time, or one step at a time. Go at your own pace and try to take care of yourself to the best of your ability.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Brendenjensen Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Brenden Jensen

Re: My Dog Died - August 4th 2016, 02:46 AM

I agree with what dez said, it's not your fault. Just be thankful for every day. You never know when your life will end. Just like animals. So, just know that your not the only one going through this. Hope you feel better soon. Sorry for your loss.

Last edited by Brendenjensen; August 4th 2016 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Spelling

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Svetlanavolkova Offline
Svetlana Volkova
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Svetlana Volkova

Re: My Dog Died - August 4th 2016, 05:42 PM

When I was younger, I had a cat. He was around since before I was born and he died when I was 13. He did everything with me, he even swam in w river with me and slept with me in my bed. Losing him was devastating. I couldn't believe that he was gone. Over the past 3 years, it's still difficult because we were so close and had a special bond I didn't know was possible. To be honest that sadness never goes away but eventually over time, you'll be able to cherish the happy memories instead of just focusing on the negative side of losing your dog.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Elision Offline
Formerly Pan221
Regular TeenHelper

Re: My Dog Died - August 5th 2016, 09:40 AM

Losing a pet is always hard because they are such a big part of your life. I've lost two cats over the years, one was a kitten still and it was horrible, but it does get easier. For a while it feels like there's always something missing, but over time you learn to appreciate the time you had with your dog and cherish the good memories you have with your dog. The big thing here is not to blame yourself. It wasn't your fault, you couldn't have known that was going to happen. Instead remember all the happy times you had with your dog and know he had the best life with you and your family. It is hard, but just take it one day at a time and I promise it will get easier.

Best wishes to you

I am inimitable, I am an original

If you cannot reach me to fly, teach me to sing

Closed Thread