TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death and Grieving Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
nothereanymore Offline
I can't get enough

Grandma is in end-of-life care. - November 8th 2016, 08:09 PM

My stepdad's mom has multiple myeloma and they've decided to discontinue treatment. His family has basically accepted us as real family and I'm still overwhelmed with love and gratitude for that.
I'm devastated. His dad died in December and he was the closest person I've ever lost. I loved him and I didn't get to be there when he died or for the funeral. I still sob my eyes out when I think about him. I don't know very well how to grieve. I have a hard time wrapping my head around them being gone. I don't think her death will have a drastic affect on my recovery, as far as causing thoughts of self-harm in any way but maybe the lethargy my depression causes. I'm not scared for my mental health, just aware that this is going to hurt and I'm not sure how to get over it. And I guess you know what I mean by 'get over it'.

I don't know. Whatever anyone feels like saying to this is welcome.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Grandma is in end-of-life care. - November 9th 2016, 03:11 PM

I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. End-of-life care is really rough. If there was anything I could say or do for anyone grieving a friend or loved one, I would do it in a heartbeat.

I don't think the grieving process is ever really over but I do think it can change for the better in everyone's own time and way. I think the best thing to do is give yourself time, and try to be nice to yourself as often as you can. And by that, I mean to let yourself feel and experience things as they come up without judging yourself in even the slightest way.

Take care of yourself, as well. Try to sleep if you're tired, eat if you're hungry or try to eat a little bit if you've lost your appetite. Maybe take a walk and get some fresh air, or listen to music that you find comforting.

Push yourself, but know your limits too, because you can also easily push yourself a little too much.

Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
luckiicloverxx Offline
Staff On Leave

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kyra

Re: Grandma is in end-of-life care. - November 9th 2016, 11:26 PM

Hey there,

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Losing a loved one is always difficult, no matter who you are, and my thoughts are with you during this tough time. I know that you have the strength to eventually feel okay again, but as the above poster mentioned, it will take time and you shouldn't feel the need to rush yourself. Take as much time as you need to heal and treat yourself well. I know everyone grieves differently, but I would suggest surrounding yourself with loved ones and throwing yourself into activities you enjoy.

I hope this helped somewhat and feel free to PM me if you ever need to talk (plus, it seems like we have the same name!)

Kyra
  Send a message via Skype™ to luckiicloverxx 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Grandma is in end-of-life care. - November 19th 2016, 04:11 AM

Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma.

It is really tough losing someone that you love and care about.

As other members have said, looking around and taking care of yourself is really important as it gives yourself time to heal as well.

I hope I helped and if you ever need anything, feel free to inbox me.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Grandma is in end-of-life care. - November 30th 2016, 05:21 AM

Hi Kyra,

I know you posted this a couple weeks ago, so I'm not sure if your grandma has passed away yet or not. I kept meaning to reply to this thread, but for some reason I haven't yet.

If she has I'm really sorry about your loss and we are here for you no matter what. Just let us know what we can help you with.

If she hasn't then I understand what you're going through. Both my grandparents were like that. They passed away within 15 months. It's always hard to see them want to discontinue treatments. The way I think about it is that a lot of treatments like that is really hard on their bodies. Some people are just happy with the lives that they have lived and don't want to have to go through that pain. Make sure you spend as much time as you can with her and always remember that happy moments!

Stay strong, as I mentioned we are always here for you.

Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Grandma is in end-of-life care. - December 1st 2016, 10:16 PM

Hey

I don't think there is anything I can say to make you feel better but I want you to know that you are not alone while you are going through this. So many people love and care about you including us here at Teenhelp. I am so sorry for what you're going through but remember how strong you are and that you can get through this. It gets easier and we'll be here to support you every step of the way.

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread