TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death and Grieving Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
F3L Offline
F3L
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cerrina Foster

Unhappy My 14 year old cat and best/only friend died - January 13th 2017, 04:01 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of death or grieving, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Kiki got terminal liver cancer and my mum called me to tell me about it the day after my birthday. Then I called this lady December right before her birthday to ask her how he was doing, and she told me he had died a few days after my birthday, which was in August! I was deviated. She didn't even bother any comfort, just went rattling on about stupid stuff they I didn't want to hear because...damn toy woman! You just informed me Kiki died! Have you any fucking compassion or empathy?
I know it's probably stupid to feel this horrid about the death of a cat, but I took care of him for 14 years, I took him in when he was a stay kitten, sneaking him in my room and cuddling with him. He was my best and only friend for over half my life. He was able to calm me down, and now he's gone. I'm trying desperately to figure this all out. He was the closest thing to a true friend that I'd ever really had. I mean, other than my friend Carsen, but Carsen was my only human friend. And I wasn't able to see him after school. I had no other friends, not even in my neighbor. The kids there made fun of me bullying me for no reason.
I realize that I'm 17, and so this is kind of rediculous, but I just don't know what to do. I've been trying to bury the emotions, but every day the dark emptiness where Kiki used to be is gone. He was an integral part of my life. One of the few reasons I'm here today.and now he's gone. All the, emotions and blasted feelings that I regularly repress and burrow away aren't GOING away. And I don't know how to deal with them. I dint know what I'm supposed to do. I feel empty, and without meaning.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: My 14 year old cat and best/only friend died - January 14th 2017, 07:51 PM

I'm so sorry for the loss of your cat. I always think that pets are family as well, not many do, but I definitely do believe that they are. It's never easy losing a pet. I'm also sorry that when you found out that they continued to complain about other things. Do you have many pictures of the cat? Maybe you can create a scrapbook with all the pictures?

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: My 14 year old cat and best/only friend died - January 16th 2017, 01:31 PM

I am really sorry for your loss.

I know it is easier said than done, but don't try to repress your emotions. Repressing them pushes them further back into your mind, and they stay and sort of "marinate" there. While releasing them is painful, you won't have to keep them inside anymore. So, try to let yourself feel whatever you need to feel; allow yourself to accept those feelings. You said you're trying to repress them but they keep surfacing and that's a sign that you should try to let yourself feel them. Keeping them inside could harm you more in the long run.

You said your cat was one of the reasons why you're here today. Your cat can no longer be with you, unfortunately, but whenever you're feeling low or empty, maybe you can try to stick around for him? He may not be here physically but he will always be in your heart.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread