TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

suggest a book and I might read it - March 14th 2018, 06:52 AM

Something I want to try and do is have others suggest books that they think I should read...maybe their all time favorite novel.

I will attempt to read it and than get back to you on my thoughts.

Right now I am in a slump so I would prefer the book not to be more than 400 pages...if it's like 415 or something that would be fine.

It will likely take a while for me to do this and I would probably end up having to get permission to re-open this thread or just send PM's.

Also there are a few rules...I cannot do pure romance, erotica or anything like that. I can try sci - fi but I know those tend to be long.

Non-fiction is iffy as well. I can do some non-fiction but not all. So, if you suggest non-fiction you might want to suggest a fiction book as well because I could attempt the non-fiction and hate it and definitely not get through it.

It's definitely possible I might end up dnf-ing some suggestions and I admit this will take a while. I might not even get it done this year ... it depends how many people respond.

I do like sad books, dark books, fantasy, historical fiction (mainly ww2 ). I like a lot of non-fiction ww2 non-fiction as well.

I am not against non-fiction just picky which is why I am not opposed to that - I have a ton on my shelves anyway.

Figured I would see if anyone would be interest in trying this. It would probably be better not to do this in a slump BUT ... I thought it might be a fun way to try and get out of a slump.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: suggest a book and I might read it - March 14th 2018, 01:34 PM

I am into post-colonial fiction. It is a really interesting genre for me especially when I need inspiration or am in a kind of existential crisis. i have a few on my mind that I enjoyed but one of the recent ones I read is Ceremony (it does have some historical fiction in regards to the AIM movement-American indigenous movement in the 70s and post Vietnam War) I read Ceremony in Spring 2016 for school and I actually really liked it and reread some parts since then. Then I lend it to my sister and she hasn't returned it for many months. It is interesting because it mixes folklore with historical events and the folklore is like a coping method and a way to process the psychological trauma that they've endured as a collective people.

I have a few more in mind that are focused on African Caribbean culture (I took African Caribbean literature and multicultural literature and we read 6 books in each class xD) But I don't want to overwhelm you

I also don't know how long it will take you to read. I am estimating it is 350 pages but that's me estimating without the book in front of me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Hollie

Re: suggest a book and I might read it - March 14th 2018, 02:12 PM

I loved Before I Go To Sleep by S.J Watson and got through it in no time at all. I also really liked Room by Emma Donohue although it could have some triggering parts. The film's for these were quite good too buy the books are easily better.

A paradox:
The things you don’t need to live—
books, art, cinema, wine, and so on—
are the things you need to live

- Matt Haig

VM|PM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: suggest a book and I might read it - March 14th 2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komorebi_Sisu View Post
I am into post-colonial fiction. It is a really interesting genre for me especially when I need inspiration or am in a kind of existential crisis. i have a few on my mind that I enjoyed but one of the recent ones I read is Ceremony (it does have some historical fiction in regards to the AIM movement-American indigenous movement in the 70s and post Vietnam War) I read Ceremony in Spring 2016 for school and I actually really liked it and reread some parts since then. Then I lend it to my sister and she hasn't returned it for many months. It is interesting because it mixes folklore with historical events and the folklore is like a coping method and a way to process the psychological trauma that they've endured as a collective people.

I have a few more in mind that are focused on African Caribbean culture (I took African Caribbean literature and multicultural literature and we read 6 books in each class xD) But I don't want to overwhelm you

I also don't know how long it will take you to read. I am estimating it is 350 pages but that's me estimating without the book in front of me.
Do you remember who the author is? I found this: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

But what to make certain that is the right one. It sounds interesting if it is.

Quote:
I loved Before I Go To Sleep by S.J Watson and got through it in no time at all. I also really liked Room by Emma Donohue although it could have some triggering parts. The film's for these were quite good too buy the books are easily better.
I read room and loved it (loved is not the right word). The other has been on my TBR for a while so I think I'll end up going with that one.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
per aspera ad astra
I can't get enough

Name: Oliver

Re: suggest a book and I might read it - March 14th 2018, 08:51 PM

I hope it's okay that these are all series' aside from one book.

I will always suggest The Giver Quartet by Lois Lowry. Son is the longest of all of what I'm recommending at 405 pages (going by what Amazon has listed). I feel like you've said you've read it, but it's a comfort series for me so I figured I'd toss it in anyway.

Another is the Life As We Knew It series by Susan Beth Pfeffer. This one is amazing and I fell in love with it when I first read it.

One that I accidentally came across is The Gifting series by K.E. Ganshert. I really loved this series.

The book that is not a series is Half Way Home by Hugh Howey. He has a lot of other good books, too.

“Remember the mountains and valleys that brought you here.”
- Morgan Harper Nichols

(#6 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: suggest a book and I might read it - March 15th 2018, 02:01 AM

Quote:

Do you remember who the author is? I found this: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

But what to make certain that is the right one. It sounds interesting if it is.
That's the one!

I said Vietnam War but I meant to say post world war II but I think it mentioned Vietnam War at some point too Sorry for the confusion.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: suggest a book and I might read it - March 15th 2018, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by énouement View Post
I hope it's okay that these are all series' aside from one book.

I will always suggest The Giver Quartet by Lois Lowry. Son is the longest of all of what I'm recommending at 405 pages (going by what Amazon has listed). I feel like you've said you've read it, but it's a comfort series for me so I figured I'd toss it in anyway.

Another is the Life As We Knew It series by Susan Beth Pfeffer. This one is amazing and I fell in love with it when I first read it.

One that I accidentally came across is The Gifting series by K.E. Ganshert. I really loved this series.

The book that is not a series is Half Way Home by Hugh Howey. He has a lot of other good books, too.
I have read The Giver and Gathering Blue. I recently bought a very beautiful Omnibus edition that Amazon was selling in order to read the entire quartet.

I have read Wool by Hugh Howey and really liked it so I might end up going with that book since Wool was an amazing novel that they should have left as a standalone.

I have heard of the Life As We Knew it series. It's on my TBR but what book isn't.

Quote:
That's the one!

I said Vietnam War but I meant to say post world war II but I think it mentioned Vietnam War at some point too Sorry for the confusion.
No problem, I figured that was probably it but wanted to double check. It sounds so good though so I might end up starting with that. :P