TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Name: Michaela

Emo music - February 23rd 2014, 05:15 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of peer pressure or bullying, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Well I listen to a lot of emo music and I have never been a girlie girl as such and I don't plan on being one either. But it seems that because of this emo music, I seem to get bullied a lot recently. I listen to a lot of different bands such as Sleeping With Sirens, Of Mice and Men, Pierce the Vail and various other bands, there at too many to list lol.
I just have to go out into the street and get funny looks because I wear emo clothing at times as well. I just want to be me, but its impossible where I live because my mother doesn't approve of it.
Well, I won't stop listening to emo music just because people are bullying me, I love it and have listened to it since I was a kid.
Who else likes emo music and get's bullied for listening to it?
  Send a message via MSN to Raggedy Man, Goodnight!  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Awakening Offline
L’amore vince sempre
Average Joe

Re: Emo music - February 23rd 2014, 05:56 PM

Hey Michaela,

I don't really listen to emo music myself, but not because I find anything wrong with it. It's just not my kind of music. It's too heavy for me. The screaming in most of the songs just isn't something I'm into. I do, however, know a lot of people who like that kind of music. Even though I don't listen to it, I've heard of every band you mentioned. I've had many friends and acquaintances that love music like that. So you shouldn't feel like you're strange or wrong for liking that music. So many people love it.

People are wrong to bully you for the music you like or the clothes you like to wear. It's ridiculous how judgmental people can be, but you shouldn't let that prevent you from being yourself and continuing to like what you like. I'd suggest trying to meet some new people who have mutual interests and who understand and accept the things that you like. I know there are people like that out there because I've met many of them.

You should be proud of who you are and of your interests. People might not always agree with you but that's their problem, not yours. You should always feel comfortable being yourself! Who cares what other people think? Just be content with who you are and their opinions won't even matter

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Emo music - February 23rd 2014, 05:56 PM

I used to dress "emo" and listen to a lot more rock music but I kind of stopped once I was 20/21. I didn't stop because people were bullying me, I stopped because I stopped liking that style so much. I still listen to rock music though, Seether is my favourite band at the moment

Being an individual is a good thing but sometimes it is just better to blend in with the crowd, if you don't want unwanted attention. I do get a lot less people shouting abuse at me because I dress a lot less "emo" now. I must admit, it's quite nice and I now kind of wish I didn't do my make-up/hair that way in school (we had uniforms so I couldn't dress up), maybe I would have gotten bullied less.

I suppose the question is what do you care more about? The way you portray yourself or blending into the background and getting less abuse?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."

Last edited by Make Believe; February 23rd 2014 at 07:58 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Re: Emo music - February 23rd 2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Believe View Post
I used to dress "emo" and listen to a lot more rock music but I kind of stopped once I was 20/21. I didn't stop because people were bullying me, I stopped because I stopped liking that style so much. I still listen to rock music though, Seether is my favourite band at the moment

Being an individual is a good thing but sometimes it is just better to blend in with the crowd, if you don't want unwanted attention. I do get a lot less people shouting abuse at me because I dress a lot less "emo" now. I must admit, it's quite nice and I now kind of wish I didn't do my make-up/hair that way in school (we had uniforms so I could dress up), maybe I would have gotten bullied less.

I suppose the question is what do you care more about? The way you portray yourself or blending into the background and getting less abuse?
I just want to be me, they never used to bully me because of it so I don't know why they have just suddenly started, at school I never really got bullied much because of my music, I got bullied because I was quiet.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Paint Offline
ετεɾṉαl ɾεṡτ †
Average Joe

Re: Emo music - February 24th 2014, 04:37 PM

Hey Michaela,

I listen to a lot of the bands you mentioned, as well as others. We have a pretty similar taste in music! The reason I'm not getting bullied for my music taste is because I've found friends with similar tastes. Most of my friends enjoy my music, and the ones who don't just jokingly make fun of me for it which doesn't bother me. I think maybe you should find friends who have similar interests to you so that it's not totally shocking when you play such songs.

It seems to bother you what other people think. While other people's opinions can be important, helpful and have great impact on us, there's a line that needs to be drawn. A lot of times we let other people define us way too much, but you seem really intelligent since you said that you're still gonna keep listening to your music despite what people say! I admire that. Just remember not to drown yourself in other people's opinions because people will always say rude things. Our type of music is amazing, bud! And if it helps you through your hard times, it makes it all the more amazing.

Try to surround yourself with positive people, and reach out if the bullying gets severe. Talking to a school counselor would be nice, or reaching out to your teachers could also work. Give it a go and let us know how it works!

Best of luck, I'm here if you wanna PM someone!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Re: Emo music - February 24th 2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint View Post
Hey Michaela,

I listen to a lot of the bands you mentioned, as well as others. We have a pretty similar taste in music! The reason I'm not getting bullied for my music taste is because I've found friends with similar tastes. Most of my friends enjoy my music, and the ones who don't just jokingly make fun of me for it which doesn't bother me. I think maybe you should find friends who have similar interests to you so that it's not totally shocking when you play such songs.

It seems to bother you what other people think. While other people's opinions can be important, helpful and have great impact on us, there's a line that needs to be drawn. A lot of times we let other people define us way too much, but you seem really intelligent since you said that you're still gonna keep listening to your music despite what people say! I admire that. Just remember not to drown yourself in other people's opinions because people will always say rude things. Our type of music is amazing, bud! And if it helps you through your hard times, it makes it all the more amazing.

Try to surround yourself with positive people, and reach out if the bullying gets severe. Talking to a school counselor would be nice, or reaching out to your teachers could also work. Give it a go and let us know how it works!

Best of luck, I'm here if you wanna PM someone!
I have a few friends who are into the same music as me I sometimes talk to them about what goes on with the bullies, they just tell me to ignore them as they are just jealous of me. Maybe that's true, but I don't see what they have to be jealous of, I'm nothing special
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Emo music - February 24th 2014, 10:11 PM

Like you I identify myself as emo and do listen to the music and dress emo etc. I get the comments, mum also hates how I dress. I guess there's always gona be like conflict/comments/haters towards people who tend to dress alternatively its like because its not what they think is normal they make comments etc or its because its like something different and they aren't actaully sure how to actually like react to it.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Re: Emo music - February 24th 2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedusoidMycelium View Post
Like you I identify myself as emo and do listen to the music and dress emo etc. I get the comments, mum also hates how I dress. I guess there's always gona be like conflict/comments/haters towards people who tend to dress alternatively its like because its not what they think is normal they make comments etc or its because its like something different and they aren't actaully sure how to actually like react to it.
Yes, this is definitely true. My mum doesn't like the way I dress either. She went mad with me just because I bought a Walking Dead t-shirt and a Doctor Who one. And she makes me wear my earphones to listen to my music as she hates to hear it.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Re: Emo music - February 25th 2014, 02:55 AM

I don't dress like an "emo" but I LOVE their music and I'm happy you are you and who you want to be and not let others change you! To me it takes a very strong person to do that

To me your mom and you were raised in two completely different cultures and ways of life, etc. Society had changed a lot when your mom was a kid and she probably was not introduced to that kind of stuff when she was your age. So it could be a culture difference. That's why I don't understand my mom stuff and she doesn't understand mine

I hope everything is getting alittle bit better feel free to PM or VM me

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Re: Emo music - February 25th 2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie_smile1 View Post
I don't dress like an "emo" but I LOVE their music and I'm happy you are you and who you want to be and not let others change you! To me it takes a very strong person to do that

To me your mom and you were raised in two completely different cultures and ways of life, etc. Society had changed a lot when your mom was a kid and she probably was not introduced to that kind of stuff when she was your age. So it could be a culture difference. That's why I don't understand my mom stuff and she doesn't understand mine

I hope everything is getting alittle bit better feel free to PM or VM me
Yes, this is very true, my mother was into country music and stuff like that when she was growing up. I have told her everybody has their own taste in music and she just laughs at me lol. Oh well, I guess she will just have to accept it eventually
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Emo music - February 28th 2014, 05:05 PM

I have to wear earphones to listen to most of my music too as mum says its to depressing...

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Emo music - February 28th 2014, 09:53 PM

I can't say I've been bullied for listening to certain types of music but it has made people judge me unfairly because of it. I can listen to so many different types of music and some of them include heavy metal. Because the norm of where I live tends to be dance, trance or rap, a girl listening to headbanging music is seen as unacceptable and although in school in there got me bullied as such, I was certainly at a loss for friends because of it. Even in college people assumed that because I listened to heavy metal or rock music, I have 'bad taste' in music and refused to even look at the bigger picture. They assumed because I liked heavy metal I disliked all other music that they like, which was untrue and still is. I love all kids of music because I love music in general. Unfortunately people have such poor judgement and if you stray away from the norm of society it tends to get you alienated from social groups.

I think you're really brave in intending to continue listening and wearing what you like regardless of the bullying you're receiving and I also think that for others who have the same issues as you, you're quite an inspiration to them. You're showing others that no matter what others think, you're doing what you feel is comfortable for you and I really admire that.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Re: Emo music - March 9th 2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTides View Post
I can't say I've been bullied for listening to certain types of music but it has made people judge me unfairly because of it. I can listen to so many different types of music and some of them include heavy metal. Because the norm of where I live tends to be dance, trance or rap, a girl listening to headbanging music is seen as unacceptable and although in school in there got me bullied as such, I was certainly at a loss for friends because of it. Even in college people assumed that because I listened to heavy metal or rock music, I have 'bad taste' in music and refused to even look at the bigger picture. They assumed because I liked heavy metal I disliked all other music that they like, which was untrue and still is. I love all kids of music because I love music in general. Unfortunately people have such poor judgement and if you stray away from the norm of society it tends to get you alienated from social groups.

I think you're really brave in intending to continue listening and wearing what you like regardless of the bullying you're receiving and I also think that for others who have the same issues as you, you're quite an inspiration to them. You're showing others that no matter what others think, you're doing what you feel is comfortable for you and I really admire that.
Its been the same with me, they think that because I listen to rock and heavy metal that I dislike all other kinds of music, however, I listen to loads of other type of music.

Thank you Everybody should be able to be their own person and still have some respect, but sadly that's not always the case
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Usernames Suck Offline
Average Joe

Re: Emo music - March 12th 2014, 03:39 PM

Yeah, I don't care much for emo music, and if you asked me about the bands along those lines I used to like those would be the ones that were popular when we were younger but I don't think there's anything wrong with dressing the way you want to dress or listening to what you listen to. What I think IS wrong is judging people for the way they dress, as long as they're not hurting anyone... it's not of anyone's business.

However, I think in some situations you may well have to tone it down a bit. I miss having wild dyed hair for example, but right now it's best for me to keep my hair looking natural to make it easier for me to get jobs and stay at them. As much as it sucks, sometimes you do have to do that when you reach a certain age.

Closed Thread