TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wings Offline
dreaming my life away
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question I'm always worried that I'm going to hurt others...? - December 22nd 2013, 06:37 AM

I know it may sound silly, but I've struggled with this since I was a child. I'm constantly afraid, that I'm going to hurt the feelings of others and it's a huge factor to my social anxiety. After I see someone, my mind starts racing with thoughts like, "You were too insensitive. They probably thought you didn't care." and "You probably hurt his feelings, he reached out to you and you didn't behave correctly. He's never going to want to see you again." Even if I have no proof to validate these thoughts, I still find ways to pick apart things that I said or did. I always feel uncertain in social situations, like I'm not sure if I'm doing or saying the correct things. It feels like I cannot control the thoughts, and they make me so anxious/upset I end up in tears.
It's hard for me to go to the movies, because if the people I went with didn't enjoy the film I'll blame myself. It's hard to invite people over, because if my family makes them uncomfortable I'll blame myself. It's especially hard to text message people, because I'll be worried that I am not putting enough smiley faces and exclamation marks to show to the other person that I appreciate them talking to me. The truth is that I care immensely, and that's probably why I'm so afraid that people will think the opposite of me.
I'd really appreciate some input or advice, or if anyone knows a name for this. Anything helps, really.

Thank you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: I'm always worried that I'm going to hurt others...? - December 31st 2013, 01:12 AM

Hello there,

I know how you feel. Social Anxiety is different for everyone but it is a generalised headline for a large topic, I guess you can say. It's an umbrella term, covering everything to do with anxiety that is caused by social interaction.

It is very normal to be affected this way, to have these feelings so I hope you don't feel like you're alone with that. I think, the best way you can fight against those thoughts, it just remind yourself that you don't know what they're thinking. My psychologist told me that I jump to conclusions a lot based on a lack of evidence with social interaction. For instance, if someone glances at their watch, I'll immediately think that they want to get away from my very quickly. She advised me that before I let my anxiety get the best of me (which is hard) maybe you could ask them if they are late for something or if there is something wrong.

So, if you're ever stuck wondering if they didn't like the movie, or feel awkward, maybe ask what is wrong or shift the subject? It may take practice but you'll feel much better if you succeed with this

Good luck,

PM me if you need help or want to talk xo

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

Closed Thread