TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Confronting necessary social obligations - January 11th 2014, 03:35 AM

Hi there,

I haven't been online in a really long time...balancing two jobs and school

Here's my problem. For Christmas, my boyfriend's mom got us great tickets to a Broadway show. Normally, this would excite me.

Except under these conditions: A) his sister and her friend are coming along B) I need to ride the train with them C)I need to make it around NYC and D) I had my wisdom teeth out 3 days ago and feel crappy.

These are issues for me because I have agoraphobia- I'm extremely anxious to be on a train, and to sit for 3 hours in the middle of an extremely packed theatre. Not to mention NYC is super crowded. And on top of this, I'm with two girls I feel uncomfortable around.

How can I deal with this? I'm really nervous about confronting these situations, as I haven't in over a year, but I feel like a bad girlfriend for copping out last minute.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Robin

Re: Confronting necessary social obligations - January 14th 2014, 09:32 PM

Hey there! I don't know when the show is running, so I'm going to assume you haven't gone yet and still need ideas on how to deal with this specific situation.

First, it's great that you're trying to overcome this issue, vs. choosing to avoid the issue. In the long run, avoiding the issue would do more harm than good, as it would just reinforce the agoraphobia.

Second, I'd start thinking about ways in which you might be able to make this trip easier on yourself. For example, if you can take an earlier train with your boyfriend (so you don't have to be around his sister and friend for the entire time), or if you can arrange for alternate transportation, that might ease some of the anxiety.

Third, no matter WHO you go with, the theater is going to be packed... so remind yourself that the trip is worth it, despite the discomfort (you said it yourself... before you knew about the other conditions, you were excited about being able to see the show!). Your reward for following through is being able to enjoy the show - don't lose sight of that! =)

Finally, if you haven't already begun to seek professional support for the agoraphobia, I encourage you to contact psych services at your school and look for referrals to people who specialize in treating phobias. If your school isn't helpful, then your regular physician should be able to provide a referral, or your insurance company should be able to provide you with a list of people who will accept your insurance. Regardless of what happens with this event, it's important to keep looking forward, and professional support can help you begin to overcome the challenges you're facing.

Last edited by PSY; January 14th 2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Moved thread to the Anxiety sub-forum.

Closed Thread