TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I can't get enough

Name: Calaer

I can't keep living like this. - March 9th 2015, 09:47 AM

Okay, so just a little background information. I've been diagnosed with social anxiety (SA) for about eight years now. I've seen about 5 or 6 different therapists for this, and every single one say I'm never going to be able to over come this.

With all of that being said lately my SA has been way out of control. I can't leave my house without freaking out majorly. I have anxiety attacks that last for days. Once one starts, it takes ages for me to get over it. I can't sleep, I barely eat. It's unbearable. I'm only comfortable around 4 people out of everyone I talk to daily. Every time I have to go around anyone else I have an anxiety attack. If I have to drive, I have an anxiety attack, just about everything freaks me out. I have no idea how to handle this.

In addition to that, I work at a hospital as a CNA. I LOVE my job. I truly do, it's taken me ages to be able to work my way up from CPhT to CNA in the birthing center. I don't want to lose this job, but I just can't physically and mentally deal with it. My Therapist has mentioned applying for Disability. I don't want to do that. My mother 'plays' the system. She's been drawing disability for years now, even though she is able to work. I just don't want to feel like I'm stealing from tax payers. I don't want to have to live like that.

I'm sorry for writing so much, and for ranting. I just have no idea what to do. Any advice would be great.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

Send a message via Skype™ to Calaer 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: I can't keep living like this. - March 9th 2015, 06:39 PM

Hi there,

Iím really sorry to hear how bad things are with anxiety.

Iím also quite shocked to hear what your therapists said about you never overcoming the anxiety. I think thatís quite unprofessional and might be the reason why the therapy didnít work for you. Therapists should listen to you and try things that suit your needs. Would you be willing to give counselling another go?

Is it possible for you to try other things, such as medication? Sometimes a combination of things might work such as self-help, counselling and medication. You might also find mindfulness to be a bit useful. There are plenty of these exercises you can try online. They help me when Iím really anxious.

Do you do anything to help you calm down? I find that deep breathing exercises help me. You can find a lot online and see what works for you. Also, try to break things down into small steps. For example, if you have a panic attack when you leave the house, try leaving your house for a short time and then gradually increase the time you spend outside. Itís best not to avoid things when you get anxious and panicky, because it might just add to the anxiety and keep it going.

Also, you are going to need to try to eat and sleep properly to overcome this. I find that when I donít eat or sleep well, I get more anxious, and it just goes into a circle, because the anxiety then keeps me awake and I donít feel like eating etc. Try to set aside some time in the day to worry about things, and dedicate your night to sleeping. Do something to relax you like take a bath or read a book, before you go to bed. Avoid computers and phones! As for eating, if you struggle with not feeling hungry because of anxiety, doing some deep breathing exercises before eating can help relax your stomach muscles which will make things easier. You might find that smaller, but more regular meals help too, as opposed to 3 main meals a day.

You have worked so hard to get where you are! You have done such an amazing job and you are so dedicated! I know itís hard, but I believe that you will be able to tackle the anxiety. Itís up to you what you do about the disability, but I do understand what itís like to know people who play the system. But the state is there to help, and anxiety can be a real problem, so if you ever end up on disability it is nothing to be ashamed of and you certainly wouldnít be stealing from tax payers!

Take care

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I can't get enough

Name: Calaer

Re: I can't keep living like this. - March 9th 2015, 09:51 PM

Thank you so much for the support.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

Send a message via Skype™ to Calaer 
Closed Thread