TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
darkwolf_2020 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy? - May 23rd 2015, 07:41 PM

Hey,
So, yesterday my teacher pulled me aside and brought me to the school psychiatrist because my anxiety has gotten pretty bad. this was the fisrt time i've talked to anyone about this. Anyways i talked to the guy, well i shook head yes and no(as i mentioned i dont really talk). Anyways, once he relized that i've been having some panic attack like experiences due to my anxiety, he said that i might have an anxiety disorder., and that he suggests that i go to cognitive behavioral therapy. He tried to explain to me what it was, but i still dont get it. If anyones been in cognitive behavioral therapy i would really appriciate what your experenice was because part of my anxiety comes from not knowing what to expect. I havn't been diagnosed with any anxiety disorders yet, but he asked me how soon i want to see a doctor, and he was sending major hints that somthing was up. If anyone is will to tell me how much their diagnosis helped them in becomeing more in control of their anxiety i would really appriciate the that because right now i dont what will happen if i do.

Thank you for listening.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy? - May 23rd 2015, 08:12 PM

Hi there.

I struggle with anxiety and depressive episodes (and have a few different diagnosis's)but before I went into hospital for DBT, I had CBT in the community. Its basically had a concept of we behave in a certain way and feel a certain way because of the way we think. So it's about changing your thought process to help you change your behavior and feelings. Does that make any sense? Basically your thoughts are linked to your feelings and behaviors so it's about changing them to be more positive. It helped me a lot and I would definitely encourage you to go for it. If there's even just a small chance that it might help you then it's gunna be worth doing.

Anxiety can be hard to deal with. Do you use breathing techniques at all? Mindfulness can also be really helpful for anxiety. You could search guided mindfulness exercises on youtube that you could try. I know that this has really helped me and my anxiety. Sometimes I even do A-Z games in my head so I think of animals from A-Z to keep my mind occupied.

I hope this helps a little. We're here for you if you need us.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy? - May 23rd 2015, 08:42 PM

Hey,

Although I'm fairly sure I was never actually treated with CBT the concept was explained to me by a therapist one time. Basically what they were going to get me to do was write down an event that triggered my anxiety and the thoughts I had during that time. Then I had to write down a rationalised version of that thought, and compare the two. The aim overall is to change the way you think about situations, so instead of fearing things that cause you anxiety you can deal with them- and they won't cause such a reaction in you anymore.

There's also medications that can treat the physical symptoms of anxiety and these are (supposedly) good for calming your heart rate and things so that when you're in a stressful situation, your body is calm and that in turn can help your thought process, because you don't feel like you're in imminent danger. That's just in theory though, my last exam was on it

Take as long as you need.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
darkwolf_2020 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy? - May 23rd 2015, 09:39 PM

Hey,
Thank you for sharing your experiences with CBT. I've tried breathing teniques but they only work to a certain extent. You guys are way better at explaing this than our school psychiatrist, he was so vague. I'm glad to know that it helps. The last experience i had with therapy was not great, so i'm kinda partial to the idea of going into it again. But this sounds better that them saying "okay, what's the matter".How am i supposed to know? So, thanks again for the much appriciated comments. I think that i'll be willing to try it, even if i only try it for a little bit.
Hope it will help

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy? - May 25th 2015, 04:51 PM

Hey,

Well, I don't know a whole lot about CBT, but I'm pretty sure that there are a range of techniques available within that realm. In other words, your psychiatrist was probably vague because it was difficult to be specific without talking with you more and figuring out a plan. Just rest assured, it's nothing to be anxious about (although it's perfectly natural to be a bit anxious before a new experience) - no one is going to do anything bad to you or anything

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

Closed Thread