TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Haunted Offline
STAR GAZER
Average Joe

Name: Serena

Unhappy therapy - September 30th 2016, 03:29 PM

I've had anxiety for years, but it's got to a point where I can't do anything without feeling anxious. When I manage to do *the thing*, I cry because I'm overwhelmed. When I don't, I cry because I feel like I'm a failure.
I had a conversation with my mother just now and she forced me to call a counsellor or, alternatively, go to her office and speak to her face to face. Unfortunately, I'm in a really bad place emotionally, and both those options make me feel twice as badly. I asked her to call for me, but she said I cannot always rely on her and to wait until I'm feeling better and then call. Unfortunately (again), I know what I'm feeling, and I know there's no such thing as 'waiting until I'm feeling better'. She suggested I write down what to say and rehearse before calling, but I've done that before and it doesn't make it better, not even a little bit.
What the hell do I do? How do I call the cousellor without panicking?

PS: I decided to go for the call, by the way, because the idea of going outside, cycling to her office (this point alone is enough to give me an anxiety attack), and waiting in a public place in the hope she's free is too much.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Starlett Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Tal

Re: therapy - September 30th 2016, 08:54 PM

Hi, I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with anxiety at the moment. I think it's great that you're open to the idea of contacting a counsellor. I really dread making phone calls and avoid them where possible but I find that it can be easier sometimes to take a call rather than making one. Would it be possible for you to email the counsellor, with a brief outline of why you are contacting them and ask if they could call you back. At least then they are starting the conversation, you can answer their questions without over thinking what to say or how to start the conversation. I find it also helps to have a pen and paper when I'm nervous about a phonecall, I doodle and scribble and it calms me down.
Finally, remember that this phonecall is going to help so much and be worthwhile in the long run. You can do it!

Closed Thread