TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Anti-anxiety medicine and work - August 15th 2011, 08:49 PM

So I have three different percriptions now for anti-anxiety medicine, and at last I have my first job interview. The only thing is, I hear that two of the three things I was precribed with, you can't drive and take. So I was just wondering who has taken any of these and how did they affect you? Like did you get tired enough for it to affect you at school or work and can you drive with them? The pharmacy said it's not a good idea, but I need to get to work somehow! So what do you guys think? The ER doctor precribed me Xanax, which I have filled and tried now. I hardly feel the effects probably because it's a very low dose. However, my mom says the doctor told me I could get into legal trouble driving while I was taking that stuff. The psychiatrist precribed me Vistril and BuSpar. I got both because of financial problems. Has any one tried one of these? Any advice?

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Anti-anxiety medicine and work - August 16th 2011, 03:04 AM

No, although I do take Lorazepam for work.

Personally, I feel a bit of the drowsiness, but nothing that can't easily be counteracted with a coffee, or an energy drink/shot (depending on your caffeine preference). I don't think any anti-anxiety medications have interference issues with caffeine, though I'd say check the information on them to be sure.

You should be able to work perfectly fine on these medications, as long as you KNOW what level the drowsiness affects you, and as long as you KNOW you're alert.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Anti-anxiety medicine and work - August 16th 2011, 10:12 AM

I haven't tried them, although I can tell you about the combination from a pharmacological view. Xanax is a benzodiazepine, which in the US, is a substance that can land you in trouble, especially if you're driving. Benzos are meant for short-term use because they're known to have a moderate dependence if used long-term. Since it's also a benzo, it's going to have some sedation effects, although the intensity is dose-dependent. Since it cannot be used long-term, it's sometimes used when needed.

Vistaril has very weak anti-anxiety properties, so it doesn't give much contribution. Instead, it is an anti-histamine so it provides an anti-allergy contribution. Furthermore, since it has the longest half-life (20-25 hours) compared to Xanax and Buspar, it maintains a weak-moderate sedation effect even after the other two medications are no longer in your system. This ensures you're not suddenly dropping in terms of anti-anxiety once the other 2 medications wear off.

Buspar is a rather interesting medication because it's both an anti-anxiety and anti-depressant. Although it does provide some sedation, it has a very small half-life and like Visparil, it can be used long-term. It's ineffective if you have panic attacks because although it has a short half-life, it doesn't work as fast as other anti-anxiety medications will. It also uses the "rule of thumb" applied to anti-depressants of taking 2-3 weeks before you'll feel its effects, although you may feel side-effects earlier. So if you just started it, you're not feeling it yet.

Caffeine may not be a great idea. It can exaggerate certain side-effects of Buspar (i.e. nervousness) to a small degree. Depending how much caffeine you take, it can decrease the effect of Xanax because it's an upper versus a downer. It won't completely "cancel it out". It may also cause you to exhibit symptoms of benzo withdrawal, which can be nasty. If you drink several cups (4+) of coffee soon after or an hour or so after taking Xanax, the anti-anxiety effects will decrease. If the side-effects of Buspar are also exaggerated, then Vistaril cannot fully compensate.

In sum, a cup or 2 of coffee is fine. A lot of caffeine isn't. If you drink it before taking Xanax (as in several hours), you should be fine.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Re: Anti-anxiety medicine and work - August 16th 2011, 06:16 PM

Thank you guys. My pscyhiatrist told me only to take one of them that was precribed to me, which ever I could afford and warned me that the Xanax that the ER doctor precribed me can be addictive.

I have only taken the Xanax thus far. I am going to try and see if I can afford the BuSpar. I hope I can feel the effects, although she said to take it on an as needed basis. So how can that help if it takes two weeks to even notice the effects?

I took a very low dose of Xanax like I said and nothing... no effect at all. I took it around 1 am when I was getting desperate, and I was up all night. Never even got a little drowsy. It was like I never took it. So I have no idea what to do about these medications. I don't see my psychiatrist for two months either.

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Anti-anxiety medicine and work - August 16th 2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWolf View Post
I have only taken the Xanax thus far. I am going to try and see if I can afford the BuSpar. I hope I can feel the effects, although she said to take it on an as needed basis. So how can that help if it takes two weeks to even notice the effects?
The anti-anxiety effects you'll feel much sooner, whereas the anti-depressant effects will take longer to feel. Since the issue is anxiety and not depression (as far as I know), it's not worry if the anti-depressant effects take longer to be felt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWolf View Post
I took a very low dose of Xanax like I said and nothing... no effect at all. I took it around 1 am when I was getting desperate, and I was up all night. Never even got a little drowsy. It was like I never took it. So I have no idea what to do about these medications. I don't see my psychiatrist for two months either.
More often than not, the dosages are initially very low. This is done because giving a very high dosage right away can zonk you out to the point where you may be unable to function properly. It's like taking a bath in very hot water. If you jump in, you'll be shocked by the temperature, however, if you get into a bath with warm water and gradually increase the temperature, you can handle the hot bath.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread