TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Question Images inside your head. - April 14th 2012, 10:04 AM

Hey, guys, whassup. My name is Hamed, brand new member here. This is my first post, yay me! . I want to ask about trauma.

How do you get rid of the mental images which come with trauma, the images of someone unconcious and being stretchered away, the images of a friend crying and in pain?

Those were things which happened to a really close friend of mine well over six weeks ago. She was hospitalised with internal bleeding and then after coming to school ridiculously early, she lost conciousness and guess what? I was there too.

The things which scared me the most were her quivering and quiet voice, her teary eyes and uncertainty.

When she was being hospitalised with internal bleeding, I arrived at the last minute, but I was there with her for at least five minutes, so I could talk to her, work with her.

I still didn't know what was going on at the time but whatever the issue was I could be with her.

When she blacked out, I only saw her for a matter of seconds. Literally and the principal kept telling me to go away and it was really minimising . So just not knowing whether she was going to be OK hurt the most.

Ever since then, the memory has stuck with me. How do you get that out of your head. I keep seeing her when I daydream and am not thinking about anything else. I keep seeing her when I go to sleep, in nightmares.

I asked the school counsellor and he said the flashbacks will go away the more I see her, well guess what? We're on holidays now. It is going to be two weeks before I can see her personally again.

Is it normal to feel this after a whoel six weeks? You could call it trauma, it hurt seeing her like that and the uncertainty stuffed everything up. I would have been fine if the injury was different or I was the first on and I knew what was going on.

I also would have been fine if it was anyone but her, I love her and really care about her, so....

How do you get rid of the images because I am trying my best.

Khatiz.

Last edited by PSY; April 17th 2012 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Moved to the Anxiety sub-forum.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Images inside your head. - April 14th 2012, 05:40 PM

Hey Hamed, and welcome to TeenHelp! =) Hope you find the help and support I've been able to find here.

What you're experiencing is completely normal. If you don't believe me, look around at some other posts regarding trauma and I think you'll find you're not the only one dealing with this. In my life, sometimes I've even found that the aftermath of the trauma can seem worse than the actual trauma. While that isn't the case with everyone, I'm just throwing it out there.

Have you ever heard of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder? While you may not actually have it, the symptoms are always similar I've found after any trauma. I believe you can get through this much easier than someone diagnosed with PTSD, but maybe looking up some of the tips and ideas for getting through that could help you. If you really feel like this is too hard to get through on your own, do think about getting professional help. Hearing that you've talked to your counselor is a great step that a lot of people don't seem to take right away. So it sounds like you could be a step ahead of the game. =) But if you feel you need more help than that, there are many people trained specifically to help you through this all.

From the research I've done, and the things I've tried myself, the best thing that helps is grounding yourself. Or making sure you're in touch with your own reality, where you are now, and remembering that it's over, that she's alive and okay. To best accomplish this, sit with your feet on the ground. Then pay attention to each of your senses. Where you are now, what you see, what you feel, ect. Like feel your feet on the ground, your back against the chair. Look and see that you're in your own house, or at school, or wherever you are. Take a few deep breaths. It's actually proven to lower your heart rate if you breathe in for four seconds, hold it for four seconds, then breathe out for four seconds. So do that for a minute or two until you feel calm and connected back with reality.

Yes, it will go away eventually, maybe not completely and entirely, but it gets a lot less worse. It's really scary to see someone you care about be in a position that you don't know if they're okay or not. Another suggestion would be to get a picture of her and when you have the mental images of that day, look at the picture, and look and see that she's okay. At least for right now while you can't see her in person. Are you able to call her or anything to that degree? At least hearing her voice could help an awful lot.

I hope things get better for you, and I'm glad your friend is okay. If you need to talk, feel free to PM me. I'm not always on TeenHelp, but I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

Closed Thread