TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Problems with High School (long) - April 22nd 2012, 03:49 PM

My name's Michael, and I go to a school called Suncoast. It's the 8th best school in the U.S. In the 8th grade I was accepted into the school, right around the time I started hanging around with the wrong groups of people. I came from a school where drugs were popular and girls were something everybody had. I never did anything to harm myself, because I knew it was all wrong. I was always the shy kid in the background, but I still managed to drink a little and mess up my life. Plus, my middle school was considered to be relatively poor. Then once I got to Suncoast, I was mixed in with people I've never been around. People that had money, people that had good grades and never got in trouble before. I felt isolated. So my first semester of freshman year, I got two Cs and an F in english - the rest were B's and I think one A. Then I met my girlfriend, who basically showed me what life is really about, and how I was doing this wrong. Because she showed me what I always wanted to be - smart. I was naturally smart, but I just got messed up with the wrong group of kids, and that caused me to get bad grades. So, once I realized she was right, I did everything possible to fix my grades. I worked and worked, usually through the night and in to early morning hours, despite how I have to get up at 5am to catch my bus for school. I pulled up my grades from a 2.5 GPA the first semester, to a 3.1 by the summer - just above the 3.0 requirement to stay at my school. The second semester, I got an A in english, and 4 other As, plus 2 Bs. I had literally changed my grades more than anyone else I had ever met at my school. Then I took English online over the summer to get my credit back for my failed semester. I got an A in that class too. Now I'm a sophomore, and I have 4 AP classes. Last semester I had 2 Bs, the rest were As. My computer programming teacher died last semester, so now every time I go to class, I literally have to teach the class because we don't exactly have a teacher. Basically, I'm a straight-A student with a record that says otherwise. And everyday I get up, i hate myself for getting that F in English, and those two C's. It's made me cut my wrists and want to die. People tell me I won't get into college. Coming from a family where my parents barely have a high school diploma and my brother had to attend community college before his university, that makes me feel sick. I'm a huge nerd and geek. I'm also the director of the IB technical drama department at my school. People think I'm a perfect student. Last week I was accepted into NHS by accident, because I had a 3.46 GPA and the requirement at my school is a 3.5. they called me aside and said I was accepted by mistake, and I had to leave and try again next year. I kicked open the door when I left. That's how hurt I am. My promise to my girlfriend is the only thing that keeps me from cutting myself. I just need somebody to tell me that I'm going to get into the college of my dreams, that that F and Cs won't hurt me. That I'll go off to UF or UCF or Georgia Tech and get my masters in Computer Engineering and live a good life. I just want somebody to let me know I can do this. because I can just feel it right now, i'm not gonna get accepted to any of those colleges because of that english grade. because of my freshman grades. Please help guys. I really hate myself. Just please tell me i'm not gonna end up like my parents, living paycheck to paycheck Please tell me I'm gonna make a difference in this world, because that's my dream.

i'm sorry that's so long guys. this just really hurts.

p.s. i'm not exactly very close to my parents.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Problems with High School (long) - April 23rd 2012, 03:31 AM

Short answer: no, you're not going to end up like your parents, living paycheck to paycheck. Do you know why? It has nothing to do with your current GPA or your past grades. It has everything to do with your ambition, drive, commitment, etc. to SUCCEED.

So you made a few mistakes. So what? You've turned things around! Will you get into one of the top 5 universities in the nation? Maybe not, because it IS pretty stiff competition. Will you get into a good university? Sure thing! Look, a 3.46 GPA is pretty good, and you still have plenty of time to work on that throughout high school. Keep getting A's and B's, and you could get to a 3.6+, which is pretty darned good (especially since you're taking AP classes).

Also, college admission panels don't just take grades into consideration. They look at the whole picture. Personal statements are your opportunity to talk about difficult life situations, and how you turned things around. Getting involved in extracurricular activities is also an opportunity to show that you're a well-rounded individual.

Basically, I'm asking you to stop beating yourself up over something that is in the past. You're doing well now, and you're going to do well in the future. That is all that matters. Keep it up, and I can promise that you WILL NOT end up like your parents.

Closed Thread