TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker

I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

ratemyprofessor - April 24th 2012, 06:47 AM

I never knew a website like this existed. The television network MTV, created a website called http://www.ratemyprofessor.com

Basically students give reviews or anecdotes etc. of their experience of an instructor who's class they attended. Usually explaining whether or not the class was easy or if the teacher was strict or too nice etc.

I was browsing through my school and I've noticed that all the teachers I've had bad experiences with, are top rated. The teachers who I loved and enjoyed their class, had so many negative reviews.

I think this website is a load of pig crap. It's just defaming instructors and showing how this generation is.

What do you guys think?

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ignite Offline
Skittles Minion

Jeez, get a life!

Re: ratemyprofessor - April 24th 2012, 08:07 AM

Honestly? I love it. It's really helped me at my school. I think in theory, it can really help people avoid some awful teachers. But in useage, I have seen what happened to you happen as well. You just shouldn't base your entire class off of a rating, and always rate all of your teachers so that your own recommendations live on.

Stand before the people you fear and speak your mind
- even if your voice s h a k e s. -Maggie Kuhn

Rest in Peace Peter.
Skittlify
  Send a message via MSN to Ignite  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Henry Tyrell Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: ratemyprofessor - April 24th 2012, 02:12 PM

I used it all the time in high school with ratemyteacher. It was really useful in figuring out how to handle certain teachers, or who to request as my teacher.

It also was a nice way of passing info along to the lower grades about what's what in every class, like how harsh a teacher grades, when the "pop" quizzes will be held, and what sets the teacher off.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: ratemyprofessor - April 24th 2012, 03:23 PM

I find it useless. I think it can help *a bit* but I most certainly would not take it to literally. Everyone has their own views. Like I've had profs I absolutely loved and would take a class just cause they were the one teaching it but have other friends who don't like that prof for what ever reason. I've read some reviews I have agreed with and others where I've not agreed with it AT ALL.
The way I have figured it is that I would only ever worry about WHO a prof is for electives. Sure, its nice to know what to expect for a core class, but at the end of the day, I have to take X classes and I can only afford to be so picky about who is teaching it if I have no other options unless i plan to wait until another semester or something (which might mean i graduate later, and I am trying VERY hard to stay on a certain time line for graduation)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
NoName12 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: ratemyprofessor - April 24th 2012, 03:45 PM

I, too, find it useless. Like you, I've had experiences that contradict their "rating" on that website. Meh, it's simply a guideline and could be helpful for incoming freshmen but nothing more.

First impressions last. Start behind the eight ball and you'll never get in front.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Robin

Re: ratemyprofessor - April 25th 2012, 07:00 AM

RateMyProfessors.com was very helpful for me as an undergrad. I think it can be a useful tool to many college students, as long as they know what to look for. I tended to ignore the more subjective information ("Material's boring," "Too much reading") and focused on the concrete facts ("Test questions come straight from the book," "Final exam is much harder than the quizzes leading up to it"). I also looked for tips on studying, ex. whether or not buying the book(s) was necessary. Whenever I posted on RateMyProfessors.com (which I tried to do for every professor), I made a point of providing relevant tips as well, so that future students could benefit in some fashion.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: ratemyprofessor - April 25th 2012, 12:41 PM

Only for U.S.?

EDIT: Found an Australian one, but really not as useful as I would've hoped.

Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
I've been here a while

Name: George

Re: ratemyprofessor - April 25th 2012, 11:01 PM

I saw Canadian schools on there (Toronto) which is useless to me, and I was just like "I might find my school..." And then I didn't. But I don't go to that big of a high school, so whatever. I think there is only two teachers I might have to avoid, and I already know who, so it's alright.

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: ratemyprofessor - April 25th 2012, 11:17 PM

I found it genuinely hilarious. My uncle is a professor over there and his reviews were awful.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Peter Quill Offline
aka Star Lord badass

Outside, huh?

Re: ratemyprofessor - April 26th 2012, 12:06 AM

I love this site! All of the ratings they have of my professors at my community college are accurate & they've helped me decide which teachers to pick for the upcoming semesters.

"Come & Get Your Love" - Redbone

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: ratemyprofessor - April 27th 2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick. View Post
I think this website is a load of pig crap. It's just defaming instructors and showing how this generation is.

What do you guys think?
I think you're jumping to conclusions and contradicting yourself. The website does provide some negative reviews and contradictory reviews, I cant disagree on that at all. I'm confused though because even you admitted, there are positive reviews, which contradicts your conclusion that the website defames instructors. In all fairness though, the website now allows professors to give rebuttals, so the website is no longer a place for students to freely bash away or praise. As for showing how this generation is, I realize this isn't the debate section but you give no reasoning, so I'm going to assume it's based on the same aforementioned reasoning that is contradictory.

As for my opinion of the website, I used it extensively throughout my undergrad, although I do certainly see biases and the content shouldn't be used to decide whether one should enroll in a course. I made a habit of looking at the ratings immediately after I enrolled in each course and I'd say about 60% of the time, the ratings were accurate.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: ratemyprofessor - April 28th 2012, 04:39 PM

I've used ratemyprofessors.com since I started college last summer. It's helped me a lot. I don't necessarily look for high numbers, I just look for the characteristics of a prof that match my learning style.

For example, my calculus prof has a middling number on ratemyprofessors. Everything I read said: He's tough, he'd rather answer questions than lecture, he doesn't assign homework, he doesn't give extra credit, and he grades entirely based on exams. Every one of these things is true, and that is why I like this professor. Some people hate this teaching style and give him low ratings, while other people love this teaching style and give him high ratings.

While I agree that there is a lot of garbage to sift through, it's been very useful to me. Like Robin said, you have to use the relevant information to your benefit. Then take people's opinions with a grain of salt.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Katie

Re: ratemyprofessor - April 28th 2012, 06:08 PM

Take everything with a grain of salt and look for a pattern in ratings as well as why they were rated that way. If every person hates them and has good reason then you can avoid them, and the opposite is true too. A good professor will fall somewhere in the middle. I would sign up for classes and then see what the profs ratings were to prepare myself for taking their class. Or you can check multiple profs. teaching the same class to see which section works best for you. If you don't like it you don't have to use it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012
Associate LHO October 13, 2012

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker

I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: ratemyprofessor - May 1st 2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
I think you're jumping to conclusions and contradicting yourself. The website does provide some negative reviews and contradictory reviews, I cant disagree on that at all. I'm confused though because even you admitted, there are positive reviews, which contradicts your conclusion that the website defames instructors. In all fairness though, the website now allows professors to give rebuttals, so the website is no longer a place for students to freely bash away or praise. As for showing how this generation is, I realize this isn't the debate section but you give no reasoning, so I'm going to assume it's based on the same aforementioned reasoning that is contradictory.
I just found out about the website a few weeks ago. Any student who blames the instructor for their incompetence in a class is pitiful. That's basically what this website is. Students blaming the instructor. "He/She was too strict, they gave too much homework, I fell asleep during their lectures."

If the class was difficult or if it was a bird course, you shouldn't blame the instructor for your performance.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: ratemyprofessor - May 3rd 2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick. View Post
I just found out about the website a few weeks ago. Any student who blames the instructor for their incompetence in a class is pitiful. That's basically what this website is. Students blaming the instructor. "He/She was too strict, they gave too much homework, I fell asleep during their lectures."

If the class was difficult or if it was a bird course, you shouldn't blame the instructor for your performance.
Plenty of comments do blame the instructors, which is pointless, however, more information is provided through the six scales for helpfulness, clarity, overall quality, easiness, rater interest and hotness (for comic relief). I find these scales are very useful when reading the comments.

If this website is indeed devoted to ragging on instructors for students' incompetence, then why did you state there are positive comments? You're over-generalizing and spurting statements without a single ounce of reasoning.

I agree it is pitiful to blame the instructor for one's performance. It's university, people shouldn't expect easy testing methods and should take responsibility for their marks, even if the instructor had poor lecturing skills. What counts at the end is the final mark and if people want to be taken seriously, they cannot explain to another professor or worse, for advanced degrees, their poor marks are a result of the instructor.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread