TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

I can't decide! - May 23rd 2012, 05:51 PM

So, I need to make a decision by the end of the summer because that is when I will start getting into my major related courses. I am almost done with more core courses. Ever since I was 10 I wanted to save wildlife and go into wildlife research. So my goal until last year was to get my bachelors in wildlife and my masters in ecology which would allow me to do some research and conservation or go into the management side of wildlife organizations which would be AWESOME. The likely hood of me getting into the graduate program for ecology is pretty good so far. I think I stand a good chance at it. Yet, for the past year, I have been considering another career path. Ever since I took my first biology course and had a unit on genetics, I fell in love with it. After doing more research online, I have an interest in being a research geneticist. With that I could do animal, plant, and human genetics, but instead of being in school for 6 years, it would be 9. Not only would it be an extra three years, but their graduate program is insanely hard to get into and the chances of me being admitted once I get my bachelors is not very good. Yet the thought of doing something fun, getting pain A LOT, and going into this type of research is exciting.

I have no idea what to do. I am torn between two things I love. One requires much more work, and a slim chance of getting into the program (btw, if I did get accepted the university pays for my school expenses and living expenses!!).

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Online
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: I can't decide! - May 23rd 2012, 08:39 PM

Hey Jessica, I would suggest 2 things to you. First, look at the course requirements and decriptions to help you decide between them. Keep in mind that it's school and every major will probably have classes you won't like. Some of the courses might even overlap and you'll need them either way. You'll have to decide if the negative one's you hate are worth it for what you want to do. Next, talk to your advisor and/or professors who teach in both subjects you're considering to get a clearer and more detailed look at what each would involve and allow you to do later.

Also, if you decide to apply to the program that's hard to get into, it's a good idea to figure out what you would do if you didn't get in. The same goes for the other program too, even if you think you have a good chance at it, an alternative plan is never a bad idea just in case. I'm not saying you wouldn't get in to one or the other, but it's a good idea to be prepared.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: I can't decide! - May 24th 2012, 03:08 AM

If you go for the more difficult program, look into minoring or double majoring. I'm sure courses will overlap for the two, and you might really like it. Like Kate said, look at the courses that you need for each. The course outlines really helped me when I was choosing my major and deciding which classes I would rather take.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

Closed Thread