TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Patricia92 Offline
Child of God
Not a n00b

Name: Patricia

Question 20 years old...never had a job... - June 23rd 2012, 01:24 AM

I just turned 20 years old, and I am really frustrated. I graduated high school nearly three years ago, and I've never been to college, and I've never had a job. I don't even know where to start or anything. It's really depressing and I don't know what to do...

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

(#2 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: 20 years old...never had a job... - June 23rd 2012, 02:02 AM

Why is it depressing just go do it. You will have to start with the bascis when you go to college so dont worry about not knowing what you want to be yet if you dont know. As for jobs just go apply.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: 20 years old...never had a job... - June 23rd 2012, 02:11 AM

I remember how overwhelming it was when I first decided to apply for jobs. Do you have a resume? Do you know how to create a resume? If not, I would talk to someone who has made one in the past, such as a parent or friend. If no one is available to help you with that, why not visit Goodwill or another organization and learn how to create a resume? You can also do a Google search and find out how to create a resume, although having someone to review the final product would be a good idea.

The same thing applies for actually looking for jobs. There are many ways to go about applying for jobs, but first, you need the basics (like a resume). Once you have those, it's just a matter of going on job-hunting websites, looking in the classified ads of newspaper, talking to managers/shop owners, etc. and filling out the applications. As far as the interview goes, there are sooo many websites out there that offer tips, it's not even funny.

I would be more than happy to help you out, if you can be a little more specific about what you need help with. =) I'm not sure if you've tried applying in the past and have just never been accepted for a job, if you have a resume, etc.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: 20 years old...never had a job... - June 23rd 2012, 03:14 AM

If you never worked then I dont think she would have a resume. I usaly just apply and if I never wokred before I dont bring a resume.

Its really hard geting accepted I remember I went a whole year looking and going to interviews for a job and in that whole year didnt get a job.

I dont work now but hope to in august.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: 20 years old...never had a job... - June 23rd 2012, 07:27 AM

Even though you don't have any work experience, you can still list on a resume any certifications you have (i.e. first aid) and list your interests. When I began applying for jobs, I had no idea how to create a resume so I looked online for examples and used a MS Word template. Even though you don't have a resume (I'm guessing), you shouldn't apply to a job without one in hand. One of the most important things a resume contains is your contact information. Some jobs may not require you to fill out an application, in which they ask for your resume. I think it'd look quite poor if you just hand over a scrap piece of paper with your contact information scratched onto it. In other words, there's a professional appeal you want to bring across.

There are many places to apply for and you have to ask yourself what type of job you want (ideally) and the purpose of it. When you look around, such as online at a job-hunting site, you'll notice certain companies you apply in a particular manner, and it's best to follow this.

If you get an interview, you'll be given a variety of questions. I'm certain one of the questions will be why you haven't had a job despite being out of school for a few years. Try to prepare for such questions in advance, otherwise, it doesn't look very appealing for the employer to want to hire you.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: 20 years old...never had a job... - June 23rd 2012, 02:12 PM

Hey there,

While I am not in the exact same position as you I can relate because I am currently looking for work and the last job I had was when I was in my Junior year of high school so I feel as though I have very little experience and it is very intimidating. But I promise once you get out there and start applying and searching and you get your first interview it will become less and less intimidating.

Having a resume is definitely a good idea. When you were in high school did you get any awards? Did you partake in any activities while in high school such volunteer work? You can list things like that on your resume to show that you do have some experience working with people or what not. For my resume I listed some activities I volunteered at in high school such as Junior Larcs and Special Olympics.

Are you currently volunteering anywhere? If not this might be something to consider because it will help you get out in the work world but there won't be the expectations that are put on you when you are working. And by getting into volunteer work you can help build your resume up.

When you start applying at places be sure to call in and ask the manager about the status of your application; this will make them remember your name.

I hope this helped and best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: 20 years old...never had a job... - June 24th 2012, 01:16 AM

Hi, I would just start somewhere easy. Getting a job is extremely frustrating even for those of us who have job experience or have a job. It DOES get easier to find jobs once you have a foot in the door, yes, but we all have to start somewhere, everyone had to have their first job, so it's not impossible, you just have to be patient.

A lot of towns/cities have free (or relatively free) services that help you build a resume, and they will have people with tons of experience building resumes and will be able to help you organize things like what interests/hobbies you may have learned skills from, and be able to help you put any volunteer experience on. Some places have job boards and can tell you which places you'd have a chance at. They also help with building cover letters (which a a bloody nightmare!!!! Mostly cause I don't wanna sound conceited on them haha)... That would be a good start, at least you will have a good structured resume.

If your lack of experience is a concern for you, I would definitely consider getting your first aid/CPR certification and volunteering while you look. That way you can at least show the peeps that you have been trying to develop a skill set and all. If you volunteer in a fiel or 2 that interests you, at least you can also have a general focus and you can make up something like "yeah I wanna go to college for X eventually, and have been checking out fields of interest yadayada" (ex: most of my volunteering experience involves kids and animal rescue/training stuff). But you could also just volunteer where ever.

First aid/CPR is a bit expensive ($100 or more for most areas, though cost varies) so if that isn't practical cost wise, then skip it until later on, lots of places revolving around retail will still be fine with hiring you if you do not have it, it's mostly just places working with kids, health services, family services, etc where it might become necessary.

You could also consider getting a serving license, lots of states and provinces require that waiters/waitresses and bartenders have a certification to legally serve alcohol. I think a lot of bartenders actually go to a short college typed program, but I don't know if that is required or not. But needless to say, if it is like it is where I live, you can serve alcohol at 18 even though the drinking age is 19, so having it ahead of time would be extremely useful if you end up applying to any restaurants or bars.

But focus on relevant qualifications (like i don't have a serving certification cause I have no intentions of applying at a bar/restaurant any time soon). Like I am not suggesting you waste your time, just that it will make it easier if you try getting a skill set where you can get it until you can find a real job.

Hope that helps, if you need more ideas then feel free to PM me.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: 20 years old...never had a job... - June 24th 2012, 07:32 AM

I have no relevant advice but I'm going to be twenty in three months and have also never been employed. You're not alone.

*gives high five of support and empathy*

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

Closed Thread