TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Horsefeathers. Offline
Remember your virtue.
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Charlie

Scholarships and jobs. - August 2nd 2012, 11:46 AM

I'll try to keep this as brief as I can.

This is my first year of University. I've been lucky enough to be granted a couple of accommodation scholarships, which, added to the money I've saved up over the years from doing odd jobs around the house, received as gifts, etc, means that in my current situation I don't actually need to have a part-time job. I've never held a job before (during high school my mother maintained that 'your job is to be a student', which is fair enough), and I don't exactly need one now... but I do have a few questions.

If I apply for a part-time job later on (not something complicated or requiring much training - just working at a supermarket or something), would it look bad that I've not had a job before? Would that make them less likely to hire me?

Do you think I should get a job? I feel like I have the time, and while the extra money wouldn't go amiss, my main motivation would be that at least that way I'm doing something to earn my money. To keep my scholarships, all I have to do is keep living away from home and keep up a pass average in my classes, which is easy enough. So while I'm very grateful for the money, I can't shake the feeling that somehow I don't deserve it.

If you skipped all that, the gist of it was: what are the pros/cons of having a part-time job during tertiary education?

(Sidenote: I have considered, instead of getting a job, doing some volunteering... it's hard to find somewhere I could get to, but I'll keep looking. So that's an option too. )

Thank you muchly to anyone who replies.

throw yourself into the unknown
with pace & a fury defiant.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Scholarships and jobs. - August 2nd 2012, 03:46 PM

Its a very good idea to volunteer if you have not previously had a job until the time you are ready to have a job. Because on a resume you could put something like:

Jane Doe
100 central avenue, New York, New York, 12345
(555) 555-1234 janedoe007@domain.com
__________________________________________________ _________________
OBJECTIVE- Your reason for seeking employment *technically this part could be deemed as optional add in, especially if you are writing a cover letter to submit with the resume*
__________________________________________________ _________________

SKILLS
* put in a list of skills you have from prior job/volunteering experiences that are relevant to the position you are applying for
* I, for example, have 2 different resumes, based on the field I am applying for because the skill set I need to focus on here is different and I would need to alert them to certain skills I have here
* put in things like if you are CPR certified and what not here though it is an option to also make a CERTIFICATES AND AWARDS section after your volunteering experience, drop the awards part if you have no awards to highlight if that's what you do

EDUCATION
New York City Private School graduated 2012
obtained "name of your states high school diploma"

New York University 2012-present
Honours bachelor of science, biology

EXPERIENCE

Your first job will go here when you get one, format it just like the volunteering experience below

VOLUNTEERING

Rec therapy assistant
NYC Nursing Home August 2012 to present
* short but descriptive list of skills you developed in this position
* 2-3, possibly 4 points about skills
* don't confuse these points with WHAT YOU DID for WHAT YOU LEARNED. Its what you learned that is important

Volunteer and club member September 2012-present
NYU LGBT center
* again put your points here
* and what you learned

References available on request

YOu can have complete artistic license with the format of the resume, this is just a quite common format amongst many formats. And no, none of the info here reflects my resume. For starts, I don't even live in the USA much less NYC haha. But yeah, my point by showing you a mock resume is to be able to let you see how you can still have an excellent resume even if you've never had a job before. And if you can make a good resume and show them that you've been volunteering and going to school and have skills from that area of your life then you're solid. It's all about what you can tell a company/organization that you have to offer. A lot of people will not pass over a college student for not having a job before if they can show up and say "hey, I still have skills to offer". And don't forget to include coops or anything like that from your schooling if/when that becomes available to you. If you volunteer you'll just have that much more to show for yourself when it comes to needing a job AND the perk of volunteering is that they are usually more flexible when it comes to schedules, example: if you need time off for a bit or whatever, they're less likely to make a big deal out of it like some employers will. Volunteering is a good introduction to the job-school schedule, so needing job experience aside, it's a good place to start as a fresh university student.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Scholarships and jobs. - August 2nd 2012, 07:45 PM

As said above, if you don't have job experience volunteer work is a good idea because, as unfair as it may be, the more experience someone has, the more likely they are to get hired.

The decision of whether or not you should get one is yours, but it should really be based on whether you need the money or not and how much time you will have with all your classes, homework and studying. Also it's good to keep in mind that as you get further along in your degree your classes will become more challenging and require more time and energy.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Re: Scholarships and jobs. - August 2nd 2012, 07:56 PM

Well a as you get older SOME kind of previous experience in the working world would be helpful, but not absolutely vital if you get a degree or whatever it is your aiming for with your continued education.
In my experience one of the first questions an employer asks is "do you have any prior experience, and if so please explain." Well if you look like a deer caught in the headlights you may be a less likely candidate for the job but if you go straight into a profession after uni I don't think it'd be a big deal. HOWEVER not everyone is lucky enough to strike their profession off the hop and another side job in the mean time is sometimes needed, especially if you have loans of any sort. It's good to save up before hand to pay them back, and it's good to have previous experience in that case. So really it's up to you. If you feel like you have the time and can take on a job ontop of your studies without your grades suffering, then I say go for it. This way you get experience BEFORE the pressure is on. And if it's a bit of a struggle, hey it's not a big deal...you have time to improve your skills. Also I'm not sure if i said it already and I'm too lazy to read back...the university should have some kind of volunteer stuff for you, just ask a councilor.

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Scholarships and jobs. - August 3rd 2012, 02:38 AM

Well, and when it comes to loans (say if you want to open a business) or get employed at certain places they'll expect RELEVANT experience, and sometimes paid experience might be important (such as in cases like where a bank would want to make sure your good at holding down a job to ensure the loan will be paid back). And frankly, you need to find that experience where you can get it which isn't always easy. You should defs work over the summers, but if you can't cause of co-ops or something then I think that technically a co-op I think is job experience any how? So you can really boost your resume and have great prospects to offer to employers without the concerns about paid work but paid work tends to reflect better because its like "well, they thought you were good enough to pay you, that's good". But again, if you're in school 3-4 years you've got plenty of time to have a part time job or a summer job.

But at the same time, when it comes to RELEVANT experience, most jobs available to students are usually like working in retail. Like if your like me and want to work with disabled kids my experience as a cashier is probably going to do fuck all for you and it's probably going to be mostly your volunteer experience that helps when it comes to applying for jobs initially. Job experience is always great. But there comes a time when RELEVANT experience has the potential to rule over PAID experience. Understand what I am trying to say? So volunteer until the summer or until next school year. Do what you need to do. Eventually I'd say it's a good idea to get a job, it's doable with school, even I like having a job and money sooo isn't an issue for my family so it's kind of optional. But don't rush it, settle in first and volunteer till you are ready

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Scholarships and jobs. - August 3rd 2012, 02:05 PM

In my opinion it's best to get as much experience as possible. I'm speaking from a slightly different perspective to you because I'm still in sixth form, and when I enter tertiary education it won't be on scholarship, but I'm going to be spending the next year hopefully holding down three part time jobs, as well as my volunteer work. In the end it depends on what you can do. If you feel like you're able to hold down some kind of job or volunteer work, then it's worth looking into because of the experience that it gives you. But because you don't need to worry about the money, if you feel like you can't hold down the job, you don't have to.

And yeah, like bumble bee said, relevant experience is the most important, so if you can find something that relates to your course then I'd say grab it with both hands.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Horsefeathers. Offline
Remember your virtue.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Scholarships and jobs. - August 8th 2012, 12:15 PM

Thank you, everyone. I'll take that all into consideration.

Something else that's been bothering me is the fact that I don't need the money. So if I got a job, what if I'm taking that away from somebody who needs the money more? I would feel horrible about that.

I'm thinking volunteering will be my best bet at this stage, although since I'm still figuring out what degree I actually want, finding something relevant could be hard. Do you think it would be better to wait and decide on a major or at least a direction I want to take before I look for a volunteering position? Or should I just see if I can find somewhere to volunteer, regardless of whether or not it's relevant to what I eventually want to go into?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Scholarships and jobs. - August 8th 2012, 02:34 PM

Go with your interests and find something you enjoy. Once you've made firmer decisions about your degree, you could change your volunteering, but right now I'd recommend looking for something short term that you enjoy.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Scholarships and jobs. - August 8th 2012, 04:21 PM

Volunteering looks good (for the most part) no matter what it is find something you like and do it. It might help you decide on a major, or against one.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#10 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Re: Scholarships and jobs. - August 8th 2012, 04:52 PM

You will probably need the money in the future, it's a good idea to start saving up for the next step in life what ever it may be OR you could always volunteer with a charity and donate to it as well. As for if you should wait or not just go for it, try some different things find out what you like

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Scholarships and jobs. - August 8th 2012, 07:29 PM

I don't need the money either, like I'm not going to starve if I don't work or anything, but that doesn't stop me from getting a job, I think it's a bit unnecessary to let THAT be the cause for you not to get a job, simply put you MIGHT need the money at some point and then you won't be thinking "well I took a job away from someone else", I don't take loans cause I know I don't need them and I know other people need them more, but having a job isn't someone you should be feeling guilty about because then you earned that money.

Just do general volunteering while you decide what your real interests are, that way you'll have experience doing SOMETHING when you actually try to get a job. And a lot of places won't worry so much about a directive focus. Just go to a humane society, the paediatric ward in a hospital (you can usually do relief stuff, like go stay with a kid so their parents can go get something to eat or shower or what ever) or the emergency room or what ever, the child protective services places, volunteer coaching if you like sports etc, the list runs on. I do a range of volunteering with a mix of things I am merely interested in with things that I like but do in part because I know how good the experience will be.... So just do things you like to do/have an interest in for now. And then you can choose some things you are interest in/have to do with the career you are interested in later on. Because you can't give people a blank resume or application, it might be ok to tell someone you haven't had a job or much volunteering experience when your 15, but by the time you are 18 or 19 you'd better have a damn good explanation otherwise. So yeah...

(#12 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Scholarships and jobs. - August 10th 2012, 12:15 AM

I worked part-time for 3.25/4 years I was an undergraduate student, and I have been working part-time for the entirety of my time as a graduate student. I didn't *need* the money when I was an undergrad (enough money from grants, savings, and parental support), but that changed once I decided to attend graduate school (a decision I didn't reach until my junior year of college, after working for over two years). My tuition and books were covered, but I had to start paying for everything else seven months ago. If I hadn't saved up all that money as an undergrad, I wouldn't be able to afford graduate school now, simply because the living expenses/transportation/insurance costs are so great. I would have had to live at home and... you guessed it... keep working in order to save up money! That would have delayed my plan of getting a masters degree (and working toward my dream career) at 24 years old.

You may not need the money as badly as someone else does right now, but you never know what the future may hold for you. A wise person saves money now, when there is plenty to be had, in anticipation that money will be hard to come by in the future. The people who are in desperate need of a job will (theoretically) apply to every job they can get their hands on... and if they can't find a job, you certainly can't blame yourself for being that ONE person who "took" that ONE job they could have had. You can't pass up opportunities (both job- and otherwise) simply because you don't want to "take" someone else's "spot." Life is a competition. You are competing against other people to get what you want, whether it's the best-looking brownie in the cafeteria, the amazing person you want to date/marry, or the dream job. There are finite resources, and as harsh as this may sound, you can't beat yourself up because you happened to get what someone else wanted. Trust me, you have enough in your own life to think about - you don't need to dwell on the "what if's" for someone else's life.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Horsefeathers. Offline
Remember your virtue.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Scholarships and jobs. - August 10th 2012, 11:44 AM

Thank you for your input, everyone! It means a lot.

I've decided not to worry about getting a job at the moment - I'll look into it next year, but for now I'm happy just to focus on my school work and extracurriculars. In the meantime I'll keep looking into volunteering and see if I can come up with anything (aside from TH, obviously ).

This can be closed now. Thanks again, guys.

Closed Thread