TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Best way to improve SAT critical reading? - July 2nd 2013, 02:06 PM

Hey guys!
So I really need help on improving my SAT critical reading score. I bought a ton of practice books, done so much practixe forever, but my scores aren't improving. Any suggestions on how to improve?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Best way to improve SAT critical reading? - July 5th 2013, 02:46 AM

Maybe you can use the process of elimination, if you haven't done so already? You can eliminate an answer or two that you know are definitely not it, then go back and reread the passage itself to figure out which is the best answer. Also, if possible, you can skip the questions you are really not sure of and move on to the ones you DO know to assure you don't run out of time.

For the vocabulary, I found these word lists that you can study from, maybe making flash cards out of them to remember, or even making stories or putting them into sentences so you can comprehend. Use some of the roots of the words and see if you know any words similar to that root word that'd make sense in the sentence.

With the ones with the questions, this is where I found process of elimination really helped. Maybe before you go into the test, you can try and read a few nonfiction books or articles and start trying to delve deeper into what the author's purpose was and what the author meant when he/she said certain things, then write down your thoughts. If you know someone else who was good at that test, you can ask them if they're right. Or, if you have any teachers, ask them for a bit of extra help. Reading books and articles before you go in there can also help your pace/vocabulary and start building your comprehension.

If you know anyone else taking the test you can try studying with them as well, and if you know anyone who did fairly well on that section, maybe ask them how they studied.

-Dez

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Best way to improve SAT critical reading? - July 6th 2013, 06:26 PM

I've never taken the SATs because we don't do those tests in Canada. We only do testing in grades 3 and 6 math and English and then we do just math in grade 9 and then we do a literacy test in grade 10. I'm pretty sure that's how it happened, it's close enough at least. And these tests DO NOT affect college admissions, they only affect graduation and stuff like that (ex. if you can't pass the literacy test you won't graduate), but the literacy test is REALLY unbelievably easy. So any how... My point is I can't really help you with improving SAT scores buuuut.... There are other options. Not all colleges care about SATs in the USA. I mean, it won't help you, but obviously there must be ways around it because loads of people move from other countries to go to university in the states, they COULD just ask said foreigners to write the SATs on their own but they might exempt them from it or have some other thing..... But you could also look at Canadian universities

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread