TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
acting101 Offline
Average Joe

Theatre Careers? - October 25th 2013, 01:45 AM

Not sure how much advice I can get on this, but here goes.

Sooooo, I'm wanting to get a job in the theatre industry in my future. I graduated high school in 2012 and spent a year at a university doing a BA in Theatre Studies, but the program didn't feel right to me. A lot of theory based lectures, and I kinda wanted to be taking acting classes or theatre tech classes or whatever.

This year I'm at a college doing a 1 year program where they put you through acting, singing, dancing, tech, and industry classes and let you get a taste of everything. This is great and all, but I'm back in that incredibly stressful position I was in Grade 12 where I have to apply to school and everything all over again.

I really would love to be a musical theatre actress, but after seeing all the talent of the people in my program now, I feel like that's not an option for me. I don't have the singing skills or really the acting skills for it. I do like tech though, but I have this terrible feeling that if I go into tech I'll just be watching the actors on stage and slowly go crazy with jealousy.

Then again, if I do theatre tech I could act in community theatre productions where I don't have to worry about agents or getting a paid job in acting or all that crap. Do any theatre people out there know if it's possible for me to work in theatre tech but still act in community theatre?

So yeah, this might be more of a rant than an answer-seeking thing. I'm really torn up about what I should apply to next year. My options are trying for musical theatre programs (I'd have to go through a bunch of audition processes and shit for that), just acting programs (again, auditions), or theatre tech which would be cool, or I could maybe go into teaching. I dunno aaaaaahhh stress.

Any other theatre people out there who can share their stories? ._.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
jeromes Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Theatre Careers? - October 26th 2013, 09:34 AM

Well It is totally up to you and your life but as if you are interested to follow your dreams then you should try that but by the mean of earning honestly you should think about some other careers. Theater career is not all bad but I don't want you to feel regration upon your decision.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
suttonmat Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Theatre Careers? - October 26th 2013, 09:47 AM

Watch TV Show FRIENDS. So there is Joye character. He is an actor. But he does nada over there to be better. If u really want to become an actor - do it. But work hard!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Theatre Careers? - October 26th 2013, 07:08 PM

I know high school level theater is different than professional level theater... but in high school, I had plenty of friends who started off doing tech/crew and eventually moved up to cast for various productions. One of them is currently earning a bachelor's degree in something unrelated to theater, but continues to star in community theater productions from time to time. If you want the best of both worlds (a steady, paying job with the option of acting in your spare time), then go for it! =)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Theatre Careers? - October 26th 2013, 09:15 PM

I think the biggest issue would be conflicts. We had a doctor who was in a community theater production and he had to work mostly nights in order to make the rehearsals. Would you be able to rehearse and be able to make all the rehearsals for the production?

Also, would you have to join a union?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Theatre Careers? - October 27th 2013, 11:53 AM

I fell into the role of tech crew working as a teacher. I also played in various pit bands for a few community and semi-pro shows, had one memorable night on follow-spot with no notice at all, and various other bits and pieces.

The guy I learnt most of my stuff off was employed by the Civic Centre as the tech guy. He also was involved in the town's amateur theatre, on the stage.

So what's the point of all this? You can do both - have a career as a tech and be in productions yourself (sometimes the amateur works can be more fun). Scheduling will be an issue, a lot of the time productions run at night! (Who would have thought!!). You can also pursue a career in another field and still be involved in the Arts.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

Closed Thread