TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Davebth Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: David

Dropping out - October 31st 2013, 04:54 AM

Hello, My name is David
Here's my situation
Right now I am in cyber school (partially because It's a lot easier than normal school, partially because of my social anxiety, but mainly because I am currently in the process of getting a job because I need money for a car, as I just got my permit and will be getting my license in April, and my mother is in no place to support me financially [or at least that's what she makes me think] so I have to earn the money to get a car.) I really don't like school, and I would like to be done with it as soon as possible. I want to become an actor really bad, and I feel like I would not need a high school education to become one, so I want to finish this year of school, then drop out (because I legally need to be 17 to drop out). I don't see any other way of getting out of school early. My mother does not support me at all in this endeavor, and she continuously tells me that she won't let me, bla bla bla, and I already know that she can't stop me as I will be 18 before my senior year starts (so If I need parental consent when I'm 17, I can get past that). But that's beside the point. I'm asking if there is any other way for me to get out of high school early other than dropping out. I really would like to have a high school diploma (because as much as everyone has told me, a GED is not nearly as good as a high school diploma) but I don't want to have to do 2 more years of school. I currently have a plan of sorts. If I do end up dropping out, I am most likely going to go get emancipated (so I can 'legally' be 18) and move out of my house (I really want to move out because my home life is shit. My sister (13) constantly picks on me, and she is just a bitch in general [even my mom and older sister {20} can't stand her!] and my mom is a semi-psychopath. She never has time for me, and she never wants to listen to me. It's hell. My friends constantly ask me how I put up with it, and the answer is medication.) and move in with my two friends (we are all in the process of finding 3 bedroom houses to rent). The plan is pretty solid as far as I can tell. Any thoughts/suggestions on this whole thing? I know it's a pretty long read, but it would be great if I could get some help on this.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Dropping out - October 31st 2013, 10:50 AM

If I were you, I would reconsider the plan. Yes it is nice to say you want to be an actor but you will be up against some of the fiercest talent. The odds of making it as an actor are slim so I would get at least a high school diploma so it would be easier to go back to school if need be. I know people hate it when I am negative, but the odds are against you even if you are the most talented person. Most actors and actresses I've known have side jobs because they cannot make ends meet. Yes you hear of the successful kid who ran away to Hollywood and landed a role on a TV show, but those are 1 in thousands.

Next, never move in with someone without having a steady job and knowing you can afford the rent and all the other costs of living including food, utilities, car payment, car insurance, etc. Too many friends moved in together after high school and they ran up debt or were kicked out of their apartments because 1 couldn't pay the rent.

It doesn't sound solid at the moment. It sounds like a dream. You do not have a job but you want to move in with your buddies. Are there even acting jobs around you? Also, how employable will you be without a high school education? Even with an undergrad degree, more and more businesses want people to have a graduate degree. One manger at Pizza Hut told my friend's mom that he has people applying with bachelor degrees so why should he take the chance on her kid for an entry level position?

Closed Thread