TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

New job - November 19th 2013, 09:50 PM

I got the call today and I got the job for a seasonal bookseller position at Waterstones. This is my favourite shop, so I'm more than happy. But I'm scared too.

Since I left uni, I've been making myself do things I wouldn't usually do. I've had two interviews and I've been confident, and thus I came across well and the second was successful. But it took me about 15-20 minutes to work up the courage to actually talk to someone in the shop to ask where I had to go. Now I have the job, and it's a small store, but I'm scared because I've never had a job before. I don't really know what to expect. I don't know if people talk to each other much, or if I should say hello to everyone (or try to, because that scares me too), or if I just get on with my work and ask questions where they're needed. Do I work through challenges alone or ask for help? What if a customer asks me something I can't help with? What if the other employees don't like me/find me annoying? I'm working locally so what if I see someone I know and they make a comment or something?

I think I'll be okay. I usually am, but the anxiety is kicking in. I can do it, I think I just need motivation really. I'm excited about it all, it's a challenge and I need this sort of thing to help with my social fear, but it is scary and I'm not sure how to calm my anxieties.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: New job - November 19th 2013, 11:52 PM

Hey Hollie,
I understand how you feel, and how you're feeling is completely normal when it comes to starting a new job. Do you possibly have any co-workers or assistants that you work with? When it comes to not knowing what to do in a certain situation in a job, its best to ask someone you work with, help the customer as best as you can, or guide them to someone who might know how to help them. People ertainly do talk to each other at jobs and there's nothing wrong with doing so at all. A casual "hello" or "good morning" (depending what time of the day you work) is common courtesy; in almost all the stores that I've been to, the workers talk and greet the customers. SO back to answering your question, I'd say that its best to carry on your best at the job and if you have questions, try asking another employee or your boss. Don't be nervous; take things a small step at a time and you'll get the hang of it.

~Rishy

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: New job - November 20th 2013, 10:03 AM

Usually you would offer to help and if you don't know, you offer to find out. Also, most people don't remember who they see when they go shopping. I don't.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: New job - November 20th 2013, 07:31 PM

I'd think you'd be taught what to do in some of those situations on the job, they aren't just going to throw you in at the deep end, they'll tell how you handle different customers and what to do if you feel that you can't help someone and how to approach people who come into the store, etc. and if you feel you're still unsure, you can always ask someone about it because they're going to be there to help you. I don't think anyone would come in that you know and pass comment either and if they do, they aren't worth acknowledging.

Just remember that there is people who you'll be working with who will show you the ropes and be there to help you if needs be and after the first few shifts, you'll have settled in and it'll become second nature to you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
JaimeGTimms Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jaime

Re: New job - November 20th 2013, 07:55 PM

Congrats on the job! I have exactly the same problem; even though I've worked in retail for 3 years, I've had a couple of interviews and I've really worried about the job position, about what I should do in certain situations and how I should act etc. But then I remember that I would have dealt with that when I started my current job (because I was sooooper nervous and shy; I couldn't even go into Starbucks and order a hot chocolate) and I managed to get over it.

I don't often go into Waterstones, so maybe try and pop into your local store to browse and see how they act with customers.. In the shop I work in, we aim to say hello to every customer, and if they've been browsing for a while, see if they need any help. If you're scared about saying hello or approaching customers, try and set yourself a target of how many customers you should talk to per shift; you'll find it comes so so much easier to even acknowledge them with time.
If you're in a situation where you don't know what to do, ask for help at first.. After a while, let yourself be confident enough to give it a go on your own. You probably do know how to do it, or know the answer to the customers question, you're probably just panicking. Just be polite with the customer, if they ask you something you really don't know, tell them to bear with you because you are new (Everrryyyboddyyy has been new to a job at some point, they will understand) but that you will ask a colleague with more experience. You don't even have to tell them you're new, just ask another colleague (after all I still ask questions in a job I've been in for three years!)
I am sure your colleagues will like you! I love working with new people and getting to help and teach them, it makes me feel like I'm actually doing something good, and they'll probably enjoy having an extra member of staff to help them over the seasonal period!

Remember that you will be fully trained as you start your job, and they won't make you do anything that you can't do! They can't expect you to magically do anything you weren't trained to do, and if you do something wrong or don't understand something because they haven't taught you or told you what to do in that situation, that is their fault, not yours!

Good luck!

Closed Thread