TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
mibbz Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Spudley

In need of help - January 3rd 2014, 04:24 AM

I plan on going to a community college for two years to get the basics out of the way and taken care of, much like a lot of others are planning on doing, before moving onto working on an actual degree for a career afterwards. Thing is, I don't know what I want to do, where to start.

I need somewhere to start in order to get going, even if I do end up changing my mind later in the future and decide I want to do something else. But I keep getting held up with the fact that I want to be interested in my career choice, I want to be enthusiastic about it and want to be doing it, to work, but I want to do something I'm actually good at and I desperately want something that I can work and be good at and enjoy doing that will pay good money so that I can give my future family what they need and want, not have to worry about just being able to survive with a little money left over if possible.

What should I do to boost my confidence and introduce myself to possible career choices to work on in the future?

Send a message via Skype™ to mibbz 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: In need of help - January 3rd 2014, 07:17 AM

First step is is to have a general idea of where you want to go for university with a general idea of what you want to transfer. Usually universities and community colleges have agreements to accept credits without question.

You don't necessarily have to know what you want to do but having a general idea is better. If you don't know, you should consider doing general education credits like English and math. Sciences can be iffy as some degrees require different sciences.

It's better if you can get a degree plan of the major you want it would be easier to determine what transfers. Always ensure that classes transfer to the university by talking to the university you want to transfer to.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: In need of help - January 3rd 2014, 11:24 AM

As Sarassa said, you don't have to know, but it can be good to have a general idea of where you want to go.

Have you looked at some of the Career Interest Inventory things? Something like http://www.mynextmove.org/explore/ip can be a good place to start, so you have an idea of what sort of careers would be a good match to your interests and aptitudes.

Otherwise, if you're at a school then there should be a guidance counsellor who can offer some career advice

What subjects interest you the most? What do you do well at currently?

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: In need of help - January 3rd 2014, 06:49 PM

Also, it can take some time to actually discover what you love to do. It took me awhile to discover that I wanted to be a nurse. I was a semester away from graduating when I decided to change my major.

Although financial aid rules changed recently to where there is only so long you can go for a degree so I would just focus on general education classes.

Closed Thread