TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Developing study skills? - January 19th 2014, 09:24 PM

SO,

The way I normally study currently is I type up any handwritten notes to make them legible, then give them to my mom. She'll ask me the question and I'll give her the answer, and we'll go over them multiple times like this. Normally this is very useful and it helps me pass.

But I'm going to college soon so it won't always be an option to study with other people. I'm trying to figure out other good study skills that will help me and be just as effective as verbally studying with others like this? If I'm left alone to study, normally I just stare (not even really read, stare) at the paper and hope for the best.

-Dez

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Developing study skills? - January 19th 2014, 09:32 PM

Hey Dez!

What I do is copy up all my notes and add extra information to them from other sources like textbooks, internet whatever. I draw lots of diagrams and make lists too since a lot of my work involves me knowing mechanisms for various bodily functions do writing them in sequence with a diagram is helpful.

Then when it comes to me revising for an exam I pick out the major headings and then I'll do a rundown of all the things I need to know about that topic and I'll talk allowed to myself through it all. It's probably easier if I give you an example.

I had a Haematology module this year and one of the main topic areas in this was Haemolytic Disease of the Newborn (HDN). So that was my topic heading. Then the rundown of things included : Mechanism, Treatment and Prevention. Then I literally just asked myself so what's the mechanism of HDN and I would talk allowed to myself going this happens, then this happens and that causes that to happen.

I found it worked amazingly well as Haematology was the only module I did this for and I was actually prepared for it (I didn't study all that much for my other exams) and I feel that exam went the best

At the end of the day though you might have to try out a few different techniques to find what works best for you but from what you described doing with your mum I think this might be useful.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Developing study skills? - January 19th 2014, 09:53 PM

Hey Dez, One huge advantage of college when it comes to note taking is that most of your professors will post their Powerpoints online before class (or will do it if enough people ask), so I just print them out (with 6 slides to a page to save paper) and take notes on those during class so I can just add what the professor says to what's already there, especially if they want us to read the chapter for details.

Then when I go to study for the test I pull them all out with the book and just run through them, focusing on the terms and definitions, examples etc. You will also likely get study guides which will be a huge help (unless you get one with everything that could possibly ever show up on a test).

You will also get told what kind of questions you'll have and if something looks like it could be an essay question, focus on more details. You can always ask people if they want to study in a group, and depending on the class the professor may even suggest it. Mnemonic devices may also help if you have to memorize lists of things.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Developing study skills? - January 19th 2014, 10:14 PM

Do most professors allow students to take their laptops to class and take notes on them?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Developing study skills? - January 19th 2014, 10:31 PM

I can't speak for the US but lecturers here don't mind people bringing laptops and I'd assume it'd be the same in the US, at least I hope so

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: Developing study skills? - January 19th 2014, 10:40 PM

I don't use mine in class, but most, if not all professors will allow it. It's always better to ask first or check the syllabus just in case.

Last edited by Kate*; January 20th 2014 at 08:07 PM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Developing study skills? - January 20th 2014, 04:20 PM

Hey Dez,

I know I'm not in college yet, but I've always preferred studying with people as well and I use my parents as well and have them read off my notes and it really helps me. This year my anatomy teacher made us start using this site called Quizlet and it's basically an online flash card site. I really like it because there's a learn option where it will read you the card and you have to type in the answer. It helps me a lot with anatomy.

I hope this helps.

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Developing study skills? - January 21st 2014, 03:18 AM

Slightly off the original post but can most college textbooks be purchased in a Kindle version?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Developing study skills? - January 21st 2014, 04:30 AM

Some textbooks have Kindle versions. I haven't bought any electronic versions of textbooks, since I can't sell back those electronic versions of textbooks (I've made up to 50% of my money back by using Amazon's trade-in option).

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Spiderpig Offline
Gone forever
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Developing study skills? - January 21st 2014, 10:30 AM

I gathered these handy Education Resources for my forum's Library. They may come in handy for you. At least some time in the future. You're welcome to save any links. They certainly came in handly for when I was revising for my AS Levels last year!

Tests Required for College:
http://www.collegeboard.org/ Sign up for the SAT here. Test dates are posted on the website. Get it done late junior year or early senior year

http://www.actstudent.org/ Sign up for the ACT here. Once again dates are posted on the site, though may need to be updated.

College Search:
https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/college-search This was my favourite college search engine. It's by the same group that's in charge of the SAT and the oh so wonderful AP Tests.

http://www.cappex.com/ On top of searching for colleges you can find scholarships as well.

Knightcite- http://www.calvin.edu/library/knightcite/
Exceptionally good for writing papers. Just figure out the info on the article, and the format you need, and it will format the source correctly for you. BRILLIANT!

Khan Academy- http://www.khanacademy.org/

I'd definitely recommend Khan Academy! It is a fantastic science (and other stuff) resource! The videos are very fun to watch. Audio/Animated (maybe?) lessons on common things you might need for classes.

Ted Talks- http://www.ted.com/talks
Short speech-like video that cover a variety of topics in entertainment, technology, science, and world politics that can be useful in sources, information for a paper, or even a thought provoking cool-down.

This site is really helpful when getting familiar with MLA-style papers. Jilly my girlfriend had to do a couple in her high-school and a few in college, so OWL is a mighty handy resource!
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/

http://citationmachine.net/index2.php

This is the most helpful little tool ever when writing long research papers that require a lot of footnotes and bibliographic citations, it saves a lot of time.

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/timestopi...navigator.html

This is a bit of a directory, it can direct you to a number of resources and organizations.

Also this site is the best resource I've found for any computer hardware or software term I wanted to look up. If you want to know whats inside your computer and how it works this is a jolly good place to look. http://www.computerhope.com/jargon.htm

Codecademy is a great place to learn code (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc...) http://www.codecademy.com/tracks If you are doing a class with code, this will be a big help.

I was particularly impressed with The Independent's Top 10 Revision Tips: with their revision timetable and adapted it to suit my own. And it worked really well! I'm glad I found that link. For national newspapers and the sometimes the great info they produce, this is one thing that I so love about the Internet.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Developing study skills? - January 21st 2014, 11:21 AM

I also much prefer physical textbooks. Not so much for the resale version (Amazon doesn't really work as well down under), but because I like the feel of them.

Also, if funds are tight, in some courses you can get away with borrowing a text from the library when needed. Others you can't, best to ask the lecturer.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: Developing study skills? - January 21st 2014, 05:19 PM

Some books have Kindle versions, but not all, especially the older ones. I prefer the physical textbooks myself and in grad school they start telling you to keep your books for tests that can't get taken until the end of your program, or at least months or years after you took the class. For undergrad I used Amazon and then used the giftcards I got from selling them to buy the next semester and so on.

Closed Thread