TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
2Snowflake2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

CV Feedback - January 31st 2014, 06:34 PM

So today I received feedback from a Interview, but the feedback was on my CV.

Basically I didn't get the job because of my CV. They said that they were put off because of my work history. I've only been in jobs for a short while, anything from a few weeks to a few months. I have my reasons as to why they where short term. I have done voluntary work, some where temporary because it was part as my college work, I had to leave a couple because I needed to earn money. I had to leave one job due to a location move.I had one temporary contract over Christmas to gain experience, skills as well earning money. And the job I am in now I have been in for 8 months, (Longest time in a company)

Which annoyed me the most was that they offered me an interview but with no intentions on giving me the job what so ever. They never mentioned anything about my CV or the reason for leaving companies so soon. If I was to have this job I would have stayed in the company for at least a year due to been given more hours then my current job.

You can't win, if you stay in a company for years then decide to leave, they would question you about leaving, and if you leave a company after a few months, they will question you about this then possible not give you a job.

So my question is, how do I make it clear on my CV the reasons as to why I have left my previous jobs within a few weeks/months?

Someone said about writing a little sentence at the end of my CV explaining why. Not sure if this is a good idea

Thanks in advance for reading

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: CV Feedback - January 31st 2014, 07:37 PM

I can understand where you're coming from here. One of my bar jobs I left after a month because the place was just awful to work for (and has a huge staff turnover) and another I had to stop because it burned down. But there generally isn't space to say so in a CV.
Personally this website was a saving grace for me with my CV. They have templates for professional looking CVs. The ones I've used have a section for work history where you put where you worked, the dates you worked there, and then write a few sentences about what you did there. If you can find the right way to word it, it is possible to add something like "This employment was terminated after a short time due to [reason]. However the time I spent there taught me a lot about [whatever you did] and greatly improved my [something like confidence or communication skills]."
That way you're saying what you have experience in and what you've gained from your different jobs despite having left them early.

I hope you manage to find work soon - I know how difficult it is at the moment to get a job.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Usernames Suck Offline
Average Joe

Re: CV Feedback - January 31st 2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Snowflake2 View Post
Which annoyed me the most was that they offered me an interview but with no intentions on giving me the job what so ever.
Maybe they had some kind of requirement to interview all candidates or maybe they would have given you the job but between you and other applicants who made it as far you did, they chose the strongest CV.

I recommend trying to add it somewhere on your profile. Find a template that is appropriate to your location and fill it in (that helps with keeping your CV looking professional). You can add it as a note somewhere, either explaining why you've left each job, or if there's some space to add notes on your previous employment you can note that you've left most jobs due to contract reasons or reasons beyond your control and that you've stopped volunteering due to those opportunities ending and also due to schedule conflicts with your work. Something clear but explanatory would be sufficient.

If you have some kind of application letter you're supposed to send in, that could help you a lot, as you can note it there instead if it would be appropriate to do so. When you're called for interviews you could also bring it up then instead, when interviewers ask if there's anything you'd like to add or at the end of the interview you can mention something clear and concise about why you've spent such a short time at each job.

I don't know if this is an option for you but you could get recommendation letters or references from former employers that you could add to your CV? Having something that shows you and at least some of your previous employers (even the places where you've volunteered) have parted on good terms could help show you weren't fired for being irresponsible or anything of the kind.

Closed Thread