TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sistrurus Offline
Herpetologist in training
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Debating on switching attending major - February 5th 2014, 10:38 PM

So, I've been accepted into college as a Biochemistry major starting this fall, but am debating on switching to an Environmental Biology or Fisheries and Wildlife biology. My interest is in working with animals mainly, but i'm just not sure what I should do..

<3 ‎"I'll never let you fall, I'll stand up with you forever. i'll be there through it all" <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Debating on switching attending major - February 5th 2014, 10:42 PM

Hi there,

If you're interested in animals then biochemistry would probably still be able to get you there but you might have to take a longer route. Also, any jobs that you get with biochem might be a more scientific role rather than a hands-on role with the animals so it depends which one you want.

Perhaps you could try a general Biology course as your major? That means you can mix and match your electives and have more variety in what you study.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Sistrurus Offline
Herpetologist in training
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: Debating on switching attending major - February 6th 2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleesi. View Post
Hi there,

If you're interested in animals then biochemistry would probably still be able to get you there but you might have to take a longer route. Also, any jobs that you get with biochem might be a more scientific role rather than a hands-on role with the animals so it depends which one you want.

Perhaps you could try a general Biology course as your major? That means you can mix and match your electives and have more variety in what you study.
I've thought about that too, but i'm just not completely sure. I thought about doing a general Biology course aswell, and am considering it. starting to wonder if actually working with animals is more my style though..

<3 ‎"I'll never let you fall, I'll stand up with you forever. i'll be there through it all" <3

Last edited by Sistrurus; February 6th 2014 at 12:20 AM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Debating on switching attending major - February 6th 2014, 01:49 PM

I'd recommend talking to an adviser about the career paths you're most interested in. Certain careers might be better with a biochemistry background, while others, the Environmental Biology would be preferred. It depends what types of jobs you'd like to do with animals.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Spiderpig Offline
Gone forever
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Debating on switching attending major - February 7th 2014, 09:50 AM

I agree with Traci here. You could also enquire as to what openings there are in the specific careers you are interested in. And what the most lucrative are.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Debating on switching attending major - February 8th 2014, 07:29 PM

Traci is right, an advisor would be the best person to talk to about that.

Also it depends what you want to do, biochemistry is more likely to be largely laboratory stuff, not so much with big living animals, environmental biology is more likely to be ALL of nature (water, dirt, animals, ecosystems, air, weather etc) where as fish/wildlife bio would mostly focus on, well, animals, maybe plans a little and stuff relevant to them, so I think it depends how you want to use it--like if you are interested in marine biology you might want to go the way of the other 2....

So talking to an advisor would be a good place, but also pulling up the course descriptions and seeing what you are going to have to take to graduate for those programs will also help. That way you can make a pro con list (or a method of your preference) and like, read the course descriptions and put it in pro or con based on whether you like it or not, maybe add a 3rd "indifferent" or "so-so" list for courses that you don't get excited for but aren't like "no, not my idea of a good time", then see which program has the most classes you are interested in

Also, most schools have a career centre that will have pages of "careers for your degree", so maybe check that out too, they often have lists of jobs, it won't include everything, but 50 or so positions of relevance might give you an idea of where you can take it.

And then if you're interested in post-graduate stuff (certificates, diplomas, masters etc) you might want to ask to speak with the advisor about the routes you can use those degrees.

Then I think you could make a pro con list of jobs and another for future education possibilities and go from there, if you have the 3 lists plus the advisors for the programs that would be a good way to get the answer you need

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#7 (permalink)) Old
SpecterH Offline
Average Joe

Name: Harvey S.

Re: Debating on switching attending major - February 22nd 2014, 07:10 PM

I am going to echo the suggestion about talking to an advisor about this. Colleges pay qualified advisors to help students with decisions such as this, and they're very knowledgeable about this subject. Reach out to them, if you can.

That being said, there are other people in your life that you can reach out to as well: family, friends, high school teachers, relatives, etc. There are a ton of people that you can reach out to, and you might be surprised at some of the quality advice that someone can offer - even if they don't know anything specific about either of those college programs.

Moreover, most colleges have a very gracious policy for incoming freshmen. A lot of students will change their mind about what they want to study during their first year at college. For that reason, colleges have several policies in place to ensure that these students can switch majors if they need to. Therefore, what you study during your first year in college is not necessarily what you have to graduate with. I know many people who changed majors - sometimes more than once - during the duration of their college career.

I wouldn't stress about this decision too much. My best advice: study what you feel is most interesting to you at this moment in time. If you start in that program and realize that it isn't for you, reach out to your college advisors and work with them to find a program that suits your interests more effectively.

Begin college with an open mind. That's the best thing to do.

Harvey Specter
Don't play the odds, play the man.

Closed Thread