TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
2Snowflake2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Take offer, or stay the same. - May 21st 2014, 06:37 PM

Hi all

So basically I don't know what to do.

I am currently working two jobs. 8 hour contract at one job (A) which I have been at for a year now. It's a retail job, I enjoy it, learning new things everyday.
My other job (B) is a 12 hour contract which I started 3 weeks ago. I enjoy it more then my other job as there is more to do, I personally find it easier.

So job B has made me an offer. Change my contract to 20 hours and quit job A. Or keep both but my manager in job B said it will be too hard on me as I will be needed for covers in both jobs, maybe at the same time.

I love both jobs. I'm worried that something might happen with job B like maybe I will get fired or something, Knowing I've also got job A I can fall back on that job if I get fired from job B. If I quit Job A for more hours at Job B and I end up getting fired, I will be jobless.
I told my manager this who offered me the more hours, she said at the moment there isn't a reason to sack me as I'm doing Ok, I just need to pick up on a few things and become more confident.
I also don't want to leave job A as I like everyone I am working with, we get on so well together. I also like everyone I;m working with at Job B.

I just don't know what to do. Deep down I want it to stay the same but now worried that my manager at job B might let me go because of having to work around job A and covers. I want to keep both jobs.
Everyone I have spoken to told me to take the offer and quit job A. I don't really want to. Ahhh

Oh I was also offered supervisor job but I turned that down as I don't feel ready.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Take offer, or stay the same. - June 4th 2014, 07:59 PM

Hey there! I'm sorry you haven't received a response yet. Are you still debating about what to do?

Here's the thing: most people aim to have one full-time job, for many reasons (it's less confusing schedule-wise, it offers medical/vacation/retirement benefits, it opens you up for promotions, etc.). I know you're currently at part-time status, but I'm assuming you'll eventually want to move to full-time status (unless you're currently in school and can only work part-time). As awesome as Job A might be, I think you need to consider your long-term goals. If you can have one job that offers 20 hours per week (and will possibly become a full-time job or offer you a promotion to supervisor), then I think that's probably your best bet.

I understand your concern about possibly being laid off and wanting to have another job to fall back on. The problem is that you're always at risk, and someday, when you have one full-time job, you'll need to have confidence in your ability to 1) keep your job, and 2) find another job if you're laid off for reasons that have nothing to do with your outstanding performance. Might as well start building up that confidence now!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
2Snowflake2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Take offer, or stay the same. - June 7th 2014, 05:48 PM

Cheers but I have already decided. I've kept both jobs and I feel good for doing so. If I would have gone for the offer of the one job 20 hours I would be under so much pressure, I know I would end up regretting it.

If for whatever reason I will have to choose between the two, then I would go for the job with more hours/money.

Closed Thread