TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Advice About a Job Debacle. - June 9th 2014, 06:05 AM

Good afternoon in Sydney all you very wonderful people and thanks for taking the time to read this, I just wanted to get your advice, I have a beef with this idiot (I am angry at this man) who a long time ago, back in February, offered me a job at a Supermarket downtown, a night preparation job and he said, "if you give me my resume I will give you some work". Now, I gave him my resume and he didn't get back to me. So I called him about a month after our conversation and asked him what was going on and he told me that he was doing some paperwork and he wanted to get back to me soon, just wait and I will call you soon.

So I did. Three months have passed since that conversation and I have been meaning to get back to him but I wanted to get your advice on the matter first. What do you think I should say and how should I say it? Would it be easier to ask over the phone or confront him in person at the store?

This is the second time someone has refused to contact me after a job offer. There was this one man who did the same thing at the same company. He made a promise, I gave him my resume. He told me when I asked him for a report the first time that he just was going to organise an interview and then get back to me. A long time had passed and then when I went to get him the second time, the general store manager said that no formal agreement had been made on an interview, they haven't been hiring for four months (with the personal testimony of the last girl they hired) and the man had gone on holidays.

I have been looking for a job for eighteen months and when you have had thoughts of running away, thoughts of suicide and thoughts of going back to the Supermarket to knock this bloke out, I am guilty as charged for being a little angry. What should I do, should I call him back, go over there, speak to a lawyer, leave it or which the way? .

This means a lot to me and to have managers that think they can take advantage of me and forget about me, it's frustrating more than frustration itself. This is my first job, I have never been to an interview before and because of my age, I pretty much have no hope unless I meet a manager with a decent heart. I am pissed off at this guy which is why I want to be careful when approaching him for my own safety and anti-criminal integrity, because, well fuck his.

H.

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Advice About a Job Debacle. - June 9th 2014, 09:55 AM

Hey there,

Let me start by saying I share your job frustration. It's the same in the UK, jobs are hard to come by, and so I can understand that when you've got your hopes up, being let down can be disappointing. I would say that whatever you do, don't get violent or in any way aggressive, though. If there is any hope of a job, you don't wan to appear in a negative way. It's best to call them, if you want, and politely ask if they have any openings for which you are currently being considered.

The thing is, a lot of places may ask for your CV and contact you only when there is actually a job going. For example, I've been to placed and asked to leave one there just so they have it on file. There's the chance that this man has asked for your CV with you in mind for the next job opening and not currently for a job. Although it's a bit frustrating, especially since you were left in the dark, there really isn't a lot you can do if that's the case but wait.

If you're struggling to find a job through lack of experience, though, my best advice would be to find some through volunteering. Is there a charity shop locally that could do with some help? I know it's not paid work, but everyone has to start somewhere. Charity shops will offer you the retail experience you may need to just get your first interview. The system is a bit dumb because they expect you to have experience, but don't give you the experience by hiring you. It's annoying, I know. But you have to do what you can, right?

Keep at it, of course! Keep applying to jobs because the right one will turn up. Don't give up just because you've had a couple of bad experiences. There are other places who may appreciate your interest, too.

I hope this helped a bit. Good luck on your job hunt!

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

Closed Thread