TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Concentration - July 26th 2014, 08:32 PM

Do any of you know of some tricks about how to focus on things?
I did some research but everything I found was basicly about time management, or involved stuff like changing tasks every hour or so, to keep the focus up.
That doesn't work for me though (would be happy if I could concentrate for an hour) but more like some tricks to help me focus for longer then five minutes.
Anything, no matter how weird would be really helpfull, 'cause I will get in huge trouble at work, if I don't finish that report on time and I can't finish it, if I loose focus after half a sentence.

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Concentration - July 26th 2014, 11:25 PM

Is there any way to remove distractions from your environment? I know that at work it's not as if you can do tons of moving of objects, but you can put your cell phone somewhere you'd have to dig around to get it, for example, if that is one thing that distracts you, because if you have to dig around for it, you may lose motivation to get it and use it. You can do that for smaller items. If Internet is a distraction, I don't know what your computer usage policy is, but you can see about setting up a childblock while you are on the computer to block you out from sites you're distracted by, or maybe talk to the IT people in your workplace about that. Also remind yourself of the consequences of not getting the report done, and for going onto any distracting sites if they are against site policy.

Or, is another distraction the people around you? You can ask them not to converse with you while you are trying to get this done.

Do you think rewarding yourself would work any? For example, if you have something to look forward to, you may be more inclined to work. For example, you can tell yourself you'll buy your favorite food or see the movie you've really been wanting to after work if you are able to get the report done. Then it will feel SO good to have it done, knowing you have a reward waiting!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Concentration - July 27th 2014, 12:36 AM

I agree with Dez. I have a lot of trouble focusing on stuff too. It's a good idea to get the things that distract you out of your work area when you're working or doing homework. That means your phone and etc. When you're working but your phone on silent, or turn it all the way off so you don't know when people are messaging you, or when you have more lives to play that distracting game.

Also try making a plan to get something done. If you have a drawn out plan of what you're going to do, or how much you're getting done, you focus on just that, instead of going off to do something else.

I hope this helps a bit

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lamia Offline
Snake Goddess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Katherine

Re: Concentration - July 27th 2014, 02:16 AM

Removing distractions is always important. Maybe you could start meditating? It's a relaxing thing that helps you become better able to concentrate and ignore distractions.

Buddy Since 5/12/13

Live Help Access Since 8/4/13

Chat Moderator Since 12/26/13

Videos Team Member since 1/11/14

PM me if you need anything at all ♥

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: Concentration - July 27th 2014, 03:27 PM

Removing distraction is a good idea, but well, they were already removed by our work policy^^ I'm just a master of starring into space for hours and think about how white that wall over there is^^ Or I'm trying not to fall asleep^^

I will defintely try to reward myself for getting it done! Sounds like a great motivation to have my favourit food in my bag and the fact in my head, that I won't be able to eat it, if I don't get the report done.

Uh, I'm not good with planning^^ but it won't hurt to try it out. Maybe that's what i've been doing wrong all along^^

Meditating? Hmm, I wanted to try that out one day anyway, so I guess now is the time to do it.

Thanks for the helpfull ideas!

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

Closed Thread