TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bee Offline
Not a n00b

Unemployment woes - August 17th 2014, 02:54 PM

I've been feeling very depressed lately and I think much of it stems from unemployment - I have never had a permanent job and have never had to go to interviews etc to get a job as my last 2 temp jobs were given to me as it was where my mum worked. I've applied for many jobs but I don't even get interviews. I'm realising that as I don't have many GCSEs I have no chance of getting a job outside a shop environment and as I have bad anxiety I don't think I will last 5 mins in that sort of job. It doesn't help I don't drive or anything so I can't get to many locations and a lot of jobs seem to require a full licence now. Do any of you lovely people have suggestions on things I can to do improve my chances of getting a job?

sooner or later though, you always have to w a k e u p

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Unemployment woes - August 17th 2014, 03:01 PM

Hey,

Firstly, I'd suggest doing some voluntary work. This will be advantageous both in that you'll have something to do with your time, and also in that it can be useful to put on your CV when applying for paid work.
Speaking of CVs, whilst you may not be very confident, print off a load (making sure they look professional and that you "sell yourself" - this site might be helpful) and go around to local businesses and give them out. They might not have any openings immediately, but they'll at least know that you're very willing and they'll have your number if something comes up in the future. You just have to go in, ask if they have any employment opportunities, and then leave your CV (whether they do or not).

I wish you the best of luck in finding a job!

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Unemployment woes - August 17th 2014, 05:32 PM

Like Adam has said, voluntary work is the way to go when you don't have a lot of experience. Sure, it might suck to work for free but you're getting the vital experience that will help you get a job in the future. If you're receiving income benefits at the moment, getting a voluntary job won't effect that. And if you are getting assistance with your unemployment issues, then they should be able to help you.

Also what Adam said about CVs - giving them out everywhere is your best option to finding yourself a job. Just make sure your CV is clear and up to date, and any voluntary or temporary work you do goes on there so that employers know what you've been up to.

It is really tough these days to get yourself a job, but once you do get one (even if it's not such a great one) it'll be easier to move to a job you want to do. So apply for anything and everything, even if you don't really want to do it long term, it'll help you in the long run.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Unemployment woes - August 18th 2014, 01:00 PM

Definitely volunteer work. You won't have to do too much to start with, or to find the work, and you will learn valuable (and employable) skills.

Have you considered seeking assistance?

Places in the UK might be:

https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ages/Home.aspx

http://workforall.salvationarmy.org.uk/

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
bee Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Unemployment woes - August 24th 2014, 01:46 PM

I am on JSA but not sure what they can do for me. I have emailed about a few voluntary jobs but never had much luck with it in the past!

sooner or later though, you always have to w a k e u p

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Unemployment woes - August 24th 2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I am on JSA but not sure what they can do for me.
If you don't ask, you'll never know.

The trick with getting any sort of position - voluntary or otherwise - is to be proactive and very willing. It's easy to just think about how difficult the job market is, and fulfil the bare minimum requirements to claim JSA and think that's all you can do - I'm not saying that's what you're doing by any means, but I know it's an easy trap to fall into.
In reality, you'll have far better chances of getting a lot of jobs if look into your own ways of discovering opportunities for work or work experience. For instance, volunteering opportunities can be found online - this site has a whole database which you can tailor to your local area. And if you're happy to do most jobs (and since you're on JSA, you should be looking to take any employment opportunity, even if you have to see it merely as a stepping stone to a dream job), take a look around your local area, and - as I suggested previously - let them know that you're looking for work, and are eager.
Finding a job might not be the easiest, but actually, if you approach it with the right attitude and techniques, it might turn out not to be as difficult as it seems right now.

Good luck.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

Closed Thread