TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
guilun Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Doing badly for exam - August 31st 2014, 02:47 PM

Hi guys. This is my first thread here. I'm feeling really despair now and I've no one to talk to.
My teacher has just sent me my Maths paper one result a while ago and I did really badly. I used to get full marks or close to full marks for every Maths test, but this time round I'm one of the last few in class. Furthermore, I'm having my Maths paper two tomorrow. I really have no idea how to pull myself up. I have zero confidence for tomorrow paper. I even wanted to sleep at 9pm just now and wake up at 4am tomorrow just to complete a set of paper tomorrow morning to give myself the last boost. But I have been tossing and turning on my bed for close to two hours. I feel despondent now....
Even though this is only prelim, I still have less than a month to O level.... I really don't know what to do now............

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Doing badly for exam - September 1st 2014, 04:40 AM

Hey mate, and welcome.

Firstly, this is one exam (in two parts, sure). You've done badly on the first, you might do badly on the second. It is not going to impact on the rest of your life, if you choose for it not to.

So the immediate steps are plenty of rest, plenty of water, and plenty of good healthy foods. Cramming really doesn't work, and can lead to more stress and anxiety than you already have.

Try doing some deep breathing activities or relaxation before the exam, and even during it. Breathing is good because you can do it at any time, any place, and no one will ever need to know.

For future exams, it can be really useful (and hard) to look at why you didn't do so well. Ask your teacher for the marked exam, and go over it with them. Look at why you didn't do as well as you thought you would.

If it's that you didn't know the material, try and work out why that was. Did you study the right stuff? Did you study well? (Study is a skill all of it's own). Was it that you didn't read the question properly, or didn't answer what it was asking? Simple mistakes in calculations or working out? Stress made your brain go jelly?

Whatever it is that caused you to not do too well, that's what you'll need to address - but you need to be proactive. Teachers simply don't have the time to 'spoon-feed' every student in a class, but if you ask for help you tend to get it.

Oh, and if you need extra maths help PM me and I'll get back to you when I can

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
luckiicloverxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kyra

Re: Doing badly for exam - September 1st 2014, 09:22 AM

Hey guilin,

The best advice I can give you right now is to stop thinking about your first Maths paper. Letting an exam affect your performance on other exams is a mistake that brings down many people's grades. Think about it this way: there's nothing you can do about the first paper, so if you spend time stressing over it now, you will be affecting your performance on your second paper, a paper whose results you have a higher amount of control over. Additionally, these are only two of many papers that you will take in your lifetime. It's not life and death, and it's better for you to do badly on these papers and find out what you need to work on than for you to do badly on your O levels right?

Feel free to message me if you would like to talk!

Kyra
  Send a message via Skype™ to luckiicloverxx 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Doing badly for exam - September 2nd 2014, 12:55 AM

Welcome to TeenHelp!

My best advice for you is to remember that the paper grade, or any other grades for that matter, do not reflect your worth as a person, or even a student. I'm a near 4.0 student, but I've failed papers and classes before. It happens. Sometimes, it's that the paper is hard. Sometimes, you're having a tough time emotionally and it's hard to juggle everything. And sometimes, you screw up, and that's fine. We all make mistakes, so do not let this paper completely change how you view yourself as a student. I had a panic attack in one of my statistics tests, but got over 95% on every other test, and even if I took a B in the class (because my professor wouldn't let me retake the other test...mental illness is taken so seriously ) I still consider myself a good statistics student because I am.

Nest, reach out to your professor and get some help/tutoring. That's all it takes. You can rebuild your grade. It also shows your professor that you take initiative, and want to succeed and improve. In the end, that's all that they can ask for.

Good luck. If you ever need advice, hit me up.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread