TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
JyeScarecrow Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Julian Bandhan

Hopelessness - November 2nd 2014, 02:17 AM

Hey guys,
I'm currently studying for an associate's degree in Physics at the University of Guyana, and well, all that is offered is an associate's degree. My dream is it be a physicist, well it was to be the youngest, but now it's just to be one, and be good at it, and still have enough to provide for my family.
It's just.. well, where i live, no one needs a physicist, so you can't get anything more than an associate's, unless you leave the country, which is expensive. Loans can help yea, but will the pay be worth it, will it be enough to pay the debt and provide for my family?
I recently made some big decisions, and they all push my hope for physics, but how do i know it'll be worth it, when the opportunities are just... not available to me. Not even at a distance i can fight to get it. Physics, is just a pre-med something people do, no one appreciates it here in my country, so it doesnt get a chance. If i fight and be the best at it, it won't sum up to much cause, its given lower priority, meaning, no chance of scholarship to an external university, or anything of the sort. I just get stuck with an associates degree.
I'll probably have to switch to mechanical engineering after my two years of studying physics, and that.. truly just crushed my heart.(Not that there's anything wrong with mechanical engineering, it technically is one application of physics), it's just that i won't reach the mountain that my eyes are set on, the physics mountain. I know i shouldnt hurry in life, but, i want to get there, . all the great physicist before me made it to Harvard, and MIT. But those places... they're very far from me. They say when you do what you love, it'll open a way for you... I dont see anything.. Maybe i'm going about this wrong, maybe, I should be contented, but then it'll just make my fight meaningless.
Could someone please, just help me see why it's not hopeless? help me not feel like it's not worth it? or advise me somehow please, i need to be hopeful, but i cant feel hope....I'm sorry if you don't quite understand what i'm saying, but please try to .. i'm sorry for asking too much also

Quote:
"All Will Be Well"
-Blue Lantern Corp/The Flash

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Hopelessness - November 3rd 2014, 08:54 PM

Have you considered immigrating to a country to obtain your university? Or maybe contact universities in other countries and explain how you want to pursue physics and are hoping they can provide you with a path of action that will help you with pursuing your dreams without leaving?

I am sure that there is a path. If you go to another country for your education, you might need to accept that you will have to live in this country permanently in order to pursue it as a career. Can you be ok with possibly living in Canada, the USA, the UK etc. for ever?

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Hopelessness - November 15th 2014, 03:11 AM

This is a tough problem, and my heart goes out to you for having to struggle with this. Living in this frustrating world with artificial barriers preventing so many of us from reaching our fullest potential. Does it help at all to know that you're not alone? Have you been able to meet any people around you who are experiencing a similar stifling of potential - maybe, but not necessarily, people who are interested in the same field as you are?

Hopelessness is by all means a rational response to this kind of situation. But remember this - for every person who chooses resignation, at least one other chooses to go against all the odds and risks to try. I guess, in my limited observation, that it is mostly a factor of how much one has to lose. It's most difficult when there are competing and seemingly contradictory values - providing for your family and going into debt to get the education you need. It sounds like you do have plenty to lose if luck doesn't turn out on your side in the "going for it" path.

In terms of "being in a rush to get somewhere" -- I understand that desire, and am pretty intimately familiar with it in my own life. Unfortunately I also took a windy parallel road from my dreams due to external constraints, and am not quite sure when or how I can manage to get back. But I've learned to see the opportunity and meaning in what I'm doing now, and working towards carving out a niche for myself where I might actually be able to work on something that genuinely matters. It's also a slow process..... getting experience and employable skills takes a lot of time, even after the education piece is down.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread