TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BreathingIn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Job searching the right job? - March 27th 2015, 03:26 PM

I've been job searching since January. I've applied maybe 10 places, some I've heard back from and others I haven't. But regardless, my concern is am I applying for a job that I can do?

I talked to the career services office at my school and told them I applied for some managerial positions (I'm graduating in May with a business degree). They said that's perfect. But I'm nervous that I'm going to get a good job like that and not know what to do. I've never been totally in charge at a workplace before. I feel like I could learn quickly, but I'm scared to screw up if I'm supposed to be a leader.

Anyone else go through this? Maybe the older folks on here ;P I've done a couple internships but I'm scared that I didn't learn anything valuable because I was always just watching others do their job and sometimes helping.

Yeah I'm scared to get a manager job and not know how to manage... Yet I have a degree in Business and internships haha

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Job searching the right job? - March 27th 2015, 05:56 PM

If you get an interview for a management position, you can ask what the job would entail. It would show you care to the employer, and it would also allow you to get a sense of what you would be doing. You can also ask if they can give you a brief idea of what a day in the job would look like. While being a manager does mean you'd serve as a leader, I imagine you would still get some training to show you the ropes and around the area you'll be working in. You also don't need to feel afraid to ask your co-workers for help, even if they are below you in status.
At my job, we've gotten a few new supervisors and we've all pitched in to help them get used to how we run things. They got a grasp of the job pretty quickly, and even now they still check in with us to make sure they are doing things right.
When you first start off, nobody will expect you to be a perfect leader and know what to do. So don't stress too much, your degree and internships probably have prepared you better than you think. If you do get hired, just try and stay confident and trust your intuition. You'll likely make mistakes, but you'll learn as you go.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Job searching the right job? - March 27th 2015, 09:21 PM

Finding a job in your chosen field can definitely be nerve-wracking, especially when you're not sure if you're as well prepared as you should be. Here's the thing: everyone has to start out at some point. Employers understand that because there was a point in time that they were in your shoes. While they might seem incredibly well-versed in every aspect of their job, there was a time at the beginning of their career that they had to learn the ropes in the professional world.

When you get hired, express some of your concerns to your supervisor(s). Once you find out what your position entails, think about the different areas of it. Which ones do you feel confident in? Which do you feel less prepared for? Once you've worked out the areas that you're really unsure about, try asking your supervisor for tips to improve your skills in that area.

Remember that it's okay and often encouraged to ask questions. You might not feel prepared now, but with the things you've studied in college and your internship experiences, I'm sure you're more ready than you think you are. Just give yourself some time to get the hang of things and don't beat yourself up too harshly if you make some mistakes early on. It's all a learning process, after all.

Good luck with the job search!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

Closed Thread