TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Job rejections left right and centre - March 31st 2015, 04:43 PM

I'm trying to find a job in or relating to my field and it has been really hard. A lot of the jobs are ao awful and corporate sounding that I don't even want to bother trying. I don't want to waste my time on research and learning about an organization and its expectations for the position when I'll never get past an interview cause I cannot convincingly sell anyone about why I want the job beyond "yeah, you're gonna give me money and this shit beats being unemployed". Which is probably why I didn't get hired at the one place I got an interview for because it was pretty clear I was fishing for reasons to justify why I would want to work there. Another place rejected me cause other people had more experience plus it was a Christian organization and I am distinctly not Christian. It's really frustrating cause that job would've been perfect minus the Christianity bit, which I was willing to have to work with.

A lot of the other jobs I wanted were student ones. They will hire high school students even, as many of my friends had the same positions during high school. It's the provincial public service. I applied over a month ago and haven't hard anything. Considering the size of the job pool I don't expect to hear anything unless I get an interview. But really, I kind of deserve a shot, considering that I am an applicant with 2 advanced degrees and I am competing with a bunch of high school kids who have far less specialized education and work experience than I do. No disrespect intended to people in high school, but I do see advanced education as something that should positively help me out, which is why we're encouraged to go to university, and I've also had over 6 to 8 years years to get more experience than someone who is only 15 to 17 years old. It is embarrassing when I'm losing out to people who have less work and education experience than I do and it freaks me out because if I am not even a worthy contender with high school students, why would I think I can compete with people who are theoretically "equal" to me with work experience and education?

Finally, it makes it harder when most of the jobs I qualify for in my field seem so so so horrible I can't even begin to pretend I want them. I would seriously rather work a retail job in the mall than work many of these positions, and then I can quit when a better/relevant position becomes available. I have notable anxiety problems, so if I am working at a job where the work sucks (or if I just hate it), I'll become sooo depressed to top it off. If I can't even read a job description without being like "fuck that's lame" then yeah, not a good sign.

I DO NOT want to work for a tech company, bank, insurance company or engineering/mechanical typed places. It's too corporate and stodgy. I only want to work for provincial public services, health care, conference styled hotels, universities, and creative places (eg theatres, museums) or social services (eg family and children services). It's hard to get these jobs. Especially in a capacity where I am A) qualified and B) interested.

I feel like I need a serious reality check. I can't talk to anyone else. People like my boyfriend will just be all "oh you'll figure it out. I know it's hard but your smart and anyone would be lucky to have you blah blah blah" or be like "well, you don't have to be in PR if you don't like the jobs" and neither approach answers my problem. I appreciate his support, but I don't want a "oh, you can do it!" ego boost, that won't help me.

Like I would literally rather sell shoes for minimum wage than take half the jobs I qualify for. When I do qualify for a good job, I am being rejected. It seriously sucks. A lot of the people in my classes are getting jobs, while I am graduating in 3 weeks with nothing. I'm at a stalemate cause I've run out of things to apply for. I need to start making in person connections which I cannot do as I am moving, so I need to focus my job search in a city over an hour away so it is not like I can stop in and make small talk with someone who I want to become employed by.

I am beginning to consider why I even want to work in PR and marketing if these jobs suck so much (in my point of view). I know that I am just getting out of school, and that it's not to late to change my mind, blah blah blah. However, I need to stress the level of anxiety this is causing me. If I leave PR, I might need MORE education, which I cannot afford as I am saving up for a masters degree in an area that interests me. I do not want my choice of masters degree to be taken away from me either because another one is required for a career path OR by making it so that I need another Bachelors degree (which will take 4 years and I don't have another 4 years of my life to get a second bachelors degree). Even if I did have 4 years to give up, I don't want my precious savings drained when I have dreamed about getting a masters degree for many years. If I leave PR and do NOT seek additional education, I am limited again by not having enough experience or education for what I am trying to do.

Like I said, I need a reality check but I'm also so desperate cause I have super high living expenses due to health problems and such.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Last edited by Always *; March 31st 2015 at 05:08 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Job rejections left right and centre - March 31st 2015, 07:12 PM

I think right now would be a good time to do some real soul searching. It seems that you are questioning the direction you're hoping to take in life (PR, marketing, etc). Sometimes it's easier to know what you DON'T want to do, which you appear to know at the moment.

It is NOT easy to get a job, especially as a young adult. I took my first job out of college at a popular food establishment, but as a supervisor/coordinator position. It put my foot in the door, and didn't feel too demeaning, either.

Companies will respect you for gaining experience. Even if you're working in the mall, those jobs will equip you with customer service and sales skills. I know being unemployed can be a big downer. Why don't you try working in retail? I mean sure, a high schooler might be able to do that job, but the truth is that you need those building blocks to get entrance into those bigger opportunities.

Have you considered doing some volunteer work? You could try to help out at a soup kitchen, shelter, or any other organization that benefits humanity. This is another great way to gain valuable experience.

Try not to be hard on yourself. The job market is NOT a reflection of who YOU are as a professional. HUNDREDS of people are applying for every job you apply for.

I am working in HR right now, and can tell you that although our job ads mention X, Y, and Z as requirements, I probably won't even look at your profile if you just scrape the surface with those qualifications. I ask for a high school diploma, but I'm REALLY only looking for the Bachelor's Degree.

Again, it's tricky and frustrating, but I know that you'll be able to get SOMETHING and work your way up from there. It will suck for a few months, but the productive moves you make today are the moves that you'll thank yourself for later.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Job rejections left right and centre - March 31st 2015, 10:03 PM

I volunteer a lot. The majority of my experience is voluntary, so that's not a problem. Plus, I'm going to be staying at my internship as a volunteer.
My thing is that there are a lot of PR jobs that I do really want. There are just also a lot where it's like "oh hell to the no". It's really frustrating. Especially when so many of my classmates have jobs already and I just... Don't...

Working at the mall wouldn't be so bad, cause at least in that case I might be able to be a manager or something.

Definitely soooo frustrating though. Especially when I know my resume could be better, even though it's 4 pages of experience. There is only so much I can say about myself.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Job rejections left right and centre - April 4th 2015, 09:23 PM

Im in the same problem. Who knew getting into the job field would be so hard? I mean , getting into college just required decent grades,etc. So I thought getting a job would be the same- if i had a degree the next step was obviously a job. Right? no , when i graduated from school last december i found that there was pretty much nothing I could even apply to- let alone get accepted to. All required some degree of work experience- often years of experience.

The bar seems so high that idk how I could ever get a good job. While I am pretty smart and got a good degree and want to go to grad school- i don't have any "real world " skills or knowledge. How am I supposed to gain experience if I need a job to get experience?

I lack direction and it seems like some other people my age are getting ahead because they have direction. I never did any extracurricular work in college.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Edward Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Edward

Re: Job rejections left right and centre - April 7th 2015, 08:49 AM

Reality check incoming. Not because you are asking for it, but you need it.

I apologize in advance if my response seems harsh, but the topic is essentially about employment. I never sugarcoat employment advice, so please take my advice with a grain of salt.

Let's go over a couple things you've mentioned. Like this one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always * View Post
I don't want to waste my time on research and learning about an organization and its expectations for the position when I'll never get past an interview cause I cannot convincingly sell anyone about why I want the job beyond "yeah, you're gonna give me money and this shit beats being unemployed". Which is probably why I didn't get hired at the one place I got an interview for because it was pretty clear I was fishing for reasons to justify why I would want to work there.
Researching a company is NEVER a waste of time. It doesn't matter if you are applying at a Fortune 500 company or the Department of Social Services, I cannot stress how important research can be when it comes to seeking employment. By avoiding researching companies (even the ones you decide aren't for you), you're reducing your chances of getting a job by a good percentage.

Rejection is a big part of the employment process. No one likes rejection, but it's important to view rejection as a learning experience to help you do better at your next interview. Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting that you MUST pursue every job that remotely matches your skill set, but you should at least make the effort to see through it.

One thing rejected applicants should do (but don't) is talk to the hiring manager/recruiter AFTER being rejected. No, I'm not talking about saying "Thanks for considering me!" Following your rejection, take the time to call (or email) the hiring manager and ask them why you were rejected, what went wrong during the interview, and what you can do to improve your chances of landing a job somewhere else. Employers LOVE it when they are approached about it and will offer you solid advice.

Quote:
I DO NOT want to work for a tech company, bank, insurance company or engineering/mechanical typed places. It's too corporate and stodgy. I only want to work for provincial public services, health care, conference styled hotels, universities, and creative places (eg theatres, museums) or social services (eg family and children services). It's hard to get these jobs. Especially in a capacity where I am A) qualified and B) interested.
Seriously? That is such an ignorant and ridiculous reason for not wanting to work for those types of companies. PR people survive mainly because those "stodgy" companies pay them a hell of a lot more than you can imagine. Half of the places you want to work for tend to be corporations in some way, so will you avoid working for those types also? I strongly urge you to open your eyes and give the corporations a chance. Not all of them are evil. Furthermore, you do not have to stick with a corporation for the rest of your life. Use the job you NEED in order to transition to the job you WANT.

Get real with the times. You want to know why high school kids get the jobs you want? Because the standards set by companies for those jobs are so low that they will even consider my cat and dog. You have "two advanced degrees", which by today's industry standards should land you a job. But guess what? Not all employers require fancy degrees, and hearing about high schoolers being chosen over you comes off as no surprise.

I'd like to know more about your "advanced" degrees. How are they related to PR/marketing? Heck, why did you even major in something that relates to PR/marketing? Not saying this is you, but it pains me to see college students graduate with degrees that are practically worthless like Liberal Arts. They're the ones that need to be taught what ROI is before choosing a major. I really, really hope you're not one of them.

Quote:
I volunteer a lot. The majority of my experience is voluntary, so that's not a problem. Plus, I'm going to be staying at my internship as a volunteer.
I've experienced the oh-so-glamorous world of unpaid internships/volunteering and it only helps you so much. But after a few years, I realized that I need to apply my skills elsewhere, even in places I may not like. You need to do the same.

Finding a job is not easy and I speak from experience. It's not supposed to be easy because there's so much competition out there, and every Tom, Dick, and Harry would have a job with little to no effort. I have sacrificed a lot of things to get to the job that I love, and it would kill me inside to see a person just swoop in and get a great job without any sincere effort. Don't try to be that person. If you're not willing to put in a good amount of effort into researching a job, then obviously that job will be given to someone else who will.

You're not catching any fish in your self-made pool of preferred companies because you're using the wrong bait. Try the corporate pool and see where that gets you. I want to see you attain success, but you're not going to make any waves with your current approach. Beggars can't be choosers and the way I see it, you're practically begging for a job. To sum things up, don't complain till you've exhausted all options and opportunities.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Edward; April 7th 2015 at 10:17 AM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Job rejections left right and centre - April 8th 2015, 12:15 AM

Ok

#1... Yeah, I research companies if/when I plan to apply to a job at that organization. Right now I work 30 hours a week and have 6 school courses on top of it, along with many other commitments which means I can't possibly apply to everything because there are not enough hours in the day. I am not going to spend my limited time on a job when I have no chance of getting it and I don't even want it - I'd rather apply to the jobs I actually want and actually qualify for. here are many jobs out there I want, and considering it's been really hard to commit time to a job search, it hasn't been a problem thus far. Therefore, I spend my limited time and energy researching those jobs I want.

#2 - No, it's not ignorant to not want to work in finance and places like that. There is nothing wrong with knowing what kind of organizations I want to apply for. I really don't care how much I might get paid or how awesome those areas are to some people. No one would get snotty at a graphic designer for wanting to work for an agency instead of a large corporation, so what's the bloody difference? I am entitled to have my preferences. That doesn't mean that (if I were desperate) I wouldn't *try* to be ok with a job at a place I won't like. Right now, quite frankly, I am not desperate enough to go against my values to work at places I hate, especially because I have been finding many jobs which I find interesting and appealing so it's not like I've run out of options.

#3 - maybe lets not get snotty about peoples degrees? I bet you're one of those people with a business degree or engineering degree who was taught you're better than other people who don't have those kinds of degrees. I have a diploma in PR, thank you very much. I also have a BA in the humanities, which I bet is worthless to you but has actually been incredibly valuable to me and has been helpful in many circumstances.

#4 - I've been a full time student for the last 6 years. Owing to my disability, it has been almost impossible for me to be in school full-time while getting volunteer/intern stuff part time much less trying to get "real" experience on the side - they don't usually hire in my field part time, not where I live at least and it would have been impossible for me to work more than 16 hours a week. So my lack of "real" experience is because I am still a student and not because I haven't tried.

So yeah, like obviously a number of factors make it harder for me to get a proper job search in... The problem? I need a job IMMEDIATELY as I have extremely high living expenses (which I cannot lower, I would like to discuss medically necessary medications, insurance, rent, etc.) so I cannot be without a job

Following up won't really help me. For example, I knew after my 1 interview that they needed someone with more experience. Even though I knew the interview went well and that I would do well at the job, I also knew that it would be easy for them to find someone with more relevant experience (or just MORE experience) for the position. In the other job, again, it was a stretch for me to apply, but I knew I had a shot. So I know why I didn't get those jobs. In other cases, not so much, but I can't ask people why they didn't hire me if they didn't give me an interview, which means there is something wrong with my resume or cover letter BUT again, my experience is what it is - if they didn't like it, then that's to fucking bad, all I can do from there is try to rewrite my experience to make it sound more appealing, but I don't even know if they are like "fuck no, she sucks" or if they looked at it and decided that other people would be better, so it might be that there IS a problem with my resume (e.g. how I wrote it) or it could be that they just passed me up for shits, and I can't be like "so, what gives" if I don't even know who to ask (e.g. if I applied online).

It really sucks that I officially have 1 week until I need a job... Yet I have none. It is a situation where I cannot win. I need (not want, legitimately need) and immediate source of income. Yet I will also be in a better position to deal with getting a job when I am not working 30 hours a week + in 6 classes, so in that sense I'll be better off

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Edward Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Edward

Re: Job rejections left right and centre - April 8th 2015, 01:07 AM

After all that explaining, it's quite obvious and comes as no surprise as to why you're unemployed. With that judgmental and negative attitude, I'm not surprised no one wants to hire you. I know I wouldn't.

It doesn't matter who I am and what type of degree I have. What matters is the distinction I'm making - I have a great job and you don't. I'm sharing my experience because I've gone through what you're going through now. But forget about what I have and face reality. A diploma in PR is not the same as a degree in PR. Diplomas are worthless. Degrees are not. Don't hold yourself to a higher standard because you have a diploma - it doesn't impress anyone. A BA in Humanities is much better and in your favor because it has much more credibility than your diploma.

The fact that you're beginning to question why you want to work in PR just gives me all the more reason to conclude that starting a career in PR is a sure way end up in the unemployment line. Doesn't matter how many degrees you have - they're worthless if a high schooler is getting chosen over you. That's the cold, hard reality and you need to snap out of the dream you're in right now.
But I know you won't. Instead, take the advice you gave yourself and go work in the world of retail or sell shoes. Either way, you'll be just as miserable, if not more.

I'd tell you best of luck again, but it's quite clear that you need a miracle. Heh.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Job rejections left right and centre - April 8th 2015, 01:23 AM

I'm really sorry/not/sorry but was there a suggestion that working in retail is a low-class job?

Edward is right that the job market is a cruel, cold, heartless place. I fully agree with that statement because what my job entails is going through resumes with a cruel, cold, and heartless attitude.

Okay, so you've clearly applied to jobs. You know which companies will talk to you, and which ones never contacted you. I'm sure you have a general idea of what salary range people are contacting you for. Now, I know that you're worth more than what you're going to get paid for- we all are.

But, when there's a time crunch to get a job, you're really going to have to settle for something that pays lower. Be sure to tweak your resume for EVERY position you apply for (or at least have resumes for different categories) and to write a cover letter that is addressed to somebody in the company. This shows that you went above and beyond to do research. Then, *follow up* with *every* job you apply for. At least where I am, if a candidate reminds me about their application, I am more likely to look at them than somebody who doesn't follow up at all.

Hoping you get interviews soon.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

Closed Thread