TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ZaraWrites Offline
#6Years #LHOperator #Skittles

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Zara

Can't get a job - August 11th 2016, 01:49 PM

I've been applying for jobs for the past few months, but the problem is, every job which I've applied for has declined me, or simply ignored me. I feel like I'm not experienced enough for any job. I got shortlisted for a job, but just received an e-mail to say that I wasn't successful, so won't be getting an interview. I'm at the stage where I should give up trying, and also I've been declined for so many jobs, that I don't understand why it still upsets me when I get declined. I'm jealous of my fiancé because he has a good job, which he's had for 2 years, and he can treat me, whereas I can't do the same... I hate it, and I just want a job, but I feel like I can't get one.

UPDATE: I also just got an e-mail from another place I applied for 2 days ago, to say I've been declined

Books Published:
~ Dreams Really Do Come True
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: Here We Go Again
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger
~ Two Worlds Collide

Therapy, you were never a friend to me ~ Therapy ♥ AllTimeLow

SKITTLIFY!!!!!

Last edited by ZaraWrites; August 11th 2016 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Adding something

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SirJordan Offline
Twitter: @sirjordanhardy
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jordan

Re: Can't get a job - August 11th 2016, 02:07 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. It's a difficult time for the unemployed as jobs are hard to get with so few vacancies available.

What sort of jobs are you applying for?

"Carefree, wherever we may be. We are the famous CFC" - Chelsea Football Club
  Send a message via Yahoo to SirJordan  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
ZaraWrites Offline
#6Years #LHOperator #Skittles

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Zara

Re: Can't get a job - August 11th 2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJordan View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. It's a difficult time for the unemployed as jobs are hard to get with so few vacancies available.

What sort of jobs are you applying for?
Everything basically. Mostly customer service based

Books Published:
~ Dreams Really Do Come True
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: Here We Go Again
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger
~ Two Worlds Collide

Therapy, you were never a friend to me ~ Therapy ♥ AllTimeLow

SKITTLIFY!!!!!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SirJordan Offline
Twitter: @sirjordanhardy
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jordan

Re: Can't get a job - August 11th 2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaraWrites|26.6.15 View Post
Everything basically. Mostly customer service based
I'm dreading leaving school and having to look for a job.

Is there anything which you could do to add to your CV? Such as taking a class to boost your skills or something? You will find something, you just have to hang in there.

"Carefree, wherever we may be. We are the famous CFC" - Chelsea Football Club
  Send a message via Yahoo to SirJordan  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Can't get a job - August 12th 2016, 01:29 AM

One thing I've learned (and read about) in all jobs I've applied for myself and also my mom is that when you apply online your application and resume is more likely to not even be glanced at. Whereas applying in person can literally and figuratively get you a foot in the door. I'm not sure which method you are using to apply, but if you're mostly applying online I'd suggest trying to go in person. It might make a difference.

I find wording can be key for resumes and CVs since its essentially the employers first impression if you as a professional. There are plenty of articles out there that you can look up on how to word things. Employers also tend to have certain key words they look for, but obviously they will differ from the U.S. to U.K..

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time looking for a job, though. It took my mom six months of applying for hundreds of jobs before she even got a handful of interviews. Then a few more months to start the job. I wish you the best is this endeavor. Hang in there.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Can't get a job - August 12th 2016, 02:18 AM

I agree with Oliver. Also, if you can only apply online you might want to call the stores you are applying too. I know back when I was applying to jobs I tended to get interviews because I called and talked to the manager and it caused them to look at my application. There was one store that I called every few weeks because they told me they had looked at applications yet and would next month etc.

I think a Resume or CV is really important as well. As Oliver stated you can look tips up online for it or ask a professional in your life to go through and review it and help you fix things that need to be fixed.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Dominant Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Dom

Re: Can't get a job - August 12th 2016, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaraWrites|26.6.15 View Post
I've been applying for jobs for the past few months, but the problem is, every job which I've applied for has declined me, or simply ignored me. I feel like I'm not experienced enough for any job. I got shortlisted for a job, but just received an e-mail to say that I wasn't successful, so won't be getting an interview. I'm at the stage where I should give up trying, and also I've been declined for so many jobs, that I don't understand why it still upsets me when I get declined. I'm jealous of my fiancé because he has a good job, which he's had for 2 years, and he can treat me, whereas I can't do the same... I hate it, and I just want a job, but I feel like I can't get one.

UPDATE: I also just got an e-mail from another place I applied for 2 days ago, to say I've been declined
Iv'e been looking since last October and I have a college degree and I'm getting my second. Trust me, it isn't you. The environment is that competitive. I stupidly had an offer and turned it down ages ago.

I think in that time I've only gone on five interviews and I've had countless rejections before the interview stage. Just keep trying. It sucks i know.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
luckiicloverxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kyra

Re: Can't get a job - August 12th 2016, 11:53 AM

Hey Zara,

I agree with the above posters that it really isn't you, and you just have to keep trying. It's quite difficult to get jobs now, but things like editing your resume, applying for jobs in person, or getting extra qualifications can really help. I hope your job search succeeds soon!
  Send a message via Skype™ to luckiicloverxx 
Closed Thread