TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Senji Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Got denied a job for a dumb reason... - December 15th 2016, 03:25 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I'm 17 now and I thought it would be good to get more serious about getting a job. I went into a store with two friends (won't say which one). I was white, one girl was biracial (Jamaican and Japanese) and the other was Chinese. Since the interview we were going to was supposed to be short, we all just went one after the other. I went first. Most of the questions were simple, "What would you give a girl in this outfit?" stuff. (It was a clothing store.) Then the manager looked up at me and said, "Do you agree not to racially profile minority customers?" I thought it was a simple question and said, "Of course." Then she said, "Are you sure?" I responded with a, "Why not? My two friends out there are minorities."
But that wasn't the problem. Directly afterwards she asked, "Do you have any disabilities or mental disorders?" So I told her I had Aspergers. She raised an eyebrow and wrote it down. Then I was told to leave and waited until my two friends were done. The manager said she would consider them and smiled while they left. Then she just kind of looked at me and said, "Sorry, but we don't hire autistics here."
I tried to explain that I was high-functioning and she didn't need to worry about accommodating me, but then she said the DUMBEST thing I've ever heard in my entire lift: "Autistics are the most racist and immature idiots I've ever seen in my entire life. Don't come back unless you're handing over money. Also, try to tell your dirty Aspie friends to take a shower every once in a while."
Needless to say I left after that. I told my friends about it and they said they never got the racial profiling question and since they didn't have any disorders or disabilities, they were fine.
I'm not too upset about asking if I racially profile, but the whole view on autistic people got to me, especially since I volunteer at a club and interact with people across the whole spectrum. Is this normal? Will it affect any other job interviews? I mean, I've had some bullying happen because I was on the spectrum before, but THAT was a little over the top.
Edit: Thanks everyone for your support! Luckily someone who works parttime (and is a mutual friend) at the store said she'd try to help me get a new job at a Gamestop her uncle runs. (And he has Aspergers too, so he was very helpful with the situation!) Luckily I ended up getting a job in an area I like and hopefully I'll get some nice discounts~. ^^

Last edited by Senji; December 17th 2016 at 02:05 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Got denied a job for a dumb reason... - December 15th 2016, 04:01 PM

That experience is NOT normal! I would report it to the store's head manager and their corporate office, and if you're friends witnessed part of it, see if they'll back up your story. This is discrimination, and even if they hadn't been that blatent about it, its illegal for them to ask you about a disability, even if it's visible. The racial profiling question sounds like it was probably illegal too. Sometimes illegal questions still get asked though, you don't have to answer them. They can ask if you can perform the job duties with or without reasonable accomodations, but you applied, so obviously you can. Here (in the US), you aren't supposed to be denied a job you're qualified for due to a disability. But, it's a major debate as to when or whether someone should disclose their disability because employers still discriminate. In most cases, they'll just reject you and never admit that was why. And its perfectly legal unless you can prove it was because you are disabled.

Some suggest waiting until after you're hired if you need accommodations, and if you think you can get by without them, I wouldn't even mention it. I'm so sorry you had that experience, there is no excuse for that manager to do that. If that's the way he/she is going to be, then you don't want to work there anyway.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: Got denied a job for a dumb reason... - December 15th 2016, 04:51 PM

Being denied a job because of disability should be punishable. I've been a heart patient since I was little and had a stroke directly after birth damaging my brain a little, but enough talking about me

This, quite frankly, is pretty asinine and, ironically, non-inclusive of her. Autistic people are just as human as minorities and should be treated as such. What does she mean with "Racial profiling" anyway? People make racist mistakes once in a while and that can be corrected (We're fucking human after all), but these left leaning racists really nitpick about race, if it ain't white, it's right.

I'm sorry this happened to you and this made me a little mad because I know what people with disabilities go through in the workplace and/or schools. Sometimes I question if there even was a disability rights movement just as much and big as women's right movements, and if not, there should be one

I'm sorry if I'm derailing anything here, but I just had to get this off of my chest

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Got denied a job for a dumb reason... - December 15th 2016, 05:07 PM

I apologize for contributing to the derailment, but the US has the American with Disabilities act that prevent employers from discriminating against those with disabilities.

I don't think other countries has anything like that. That is the only aspect where the US is A-Okay.

And to the original poster, I am so sorry this happened to you. That was not right and, as another user suggested, I would complain to their superior. If you're in the US, I think you can even file a complaint with the ADA.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
hellojwt Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: James

Re: Got denied a job for a dumb reason... - December 29th 2016, 12:07 PM

If you're UK I can almost guarantee you the police won't take it lightly, here's a website on it:

citizensadvice.org.uk/discrimination/discrimination-because-of-disability/disability-discrimination/

Hope that helps

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Got denied a job for a dumb reason... - December 29th 2016, 03:44 PM

Are you in the USA? If you are you can file something due to being discriminated against. My dad used to work with a company that handled discrimination claims.

If you aren't in the USA I would suggest that you see if your country has any kind of protocol for dealing with discrimination. I would assume that some countries have it and some don't.

They really shouldn't be asking you if you have a disability in my opinion.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread