TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sage

Post AP classes - February 13th 2017, 12:15 AM

Okay.. I'm still learning so bear with me!

I'm already starting to prepare for my Freshman year (I take school VERY seriously :no sweat: )
1. How many AP classes should I take? I know AP classes have loads of homework and I my middle school doesn't really give out homework so it would be a tough ejustment for me. Opinions?

2. What are the easiest AP classes? If I do decide to do any, what are considered the easiest so I can get a feel towards it. (IM HORRIBLE AT ANYTHING MATH RELATED)

I might make a later thread when I have more questions (:

(#2 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Re: AP classes - February 13th 2017, 12:55 AM

Hey!

AP classes can be really different in terms of difficulty. I've only taken a few APs (since my school has IB), but they've all been pretty different. The thing with AP is that there's not really anything the teacher's required to do except prepare you for the exam, so it's not like there are any AP projects or anything in classes. This means that the difficulty can be different depending on who teaches the course. If you know any high schoolers, you should ask them about which APs are easiest.

My favorite AP class was AP US government and politics. It was a lot of work and a lot to remember, but it was really interesting and the exam wasn't too bad. I also really liked AP Spanish 4. Go with subjects you're good and interested in. Look into all the different AP classes and pick ones that are at your level. Talk to your current teachers to see if they have recommendations for you. You can also look up national pass rates for different exams, but those can be misleading because it really depends on your school and the teachers and how you are as a student.

It's great that you want to push yourself, but don't bite off more than you can chew. There's no reason to be ridiculously stressed out in your freshmen year. It's better to take just a couple of AP classes this year to get the hang of the work load, and you can always take more the year after if it works out well. And don't panic if you get lower grades than what you're used to. Getting a B or a C in an AP class your freshman year is perfectly fine. If you're feeling lost or confused about a class, talk to your teacher and get extra help. There is absolutely no shame in staying after school or getting tutoring, and your teachers will see that extra effort and appreciate the work you're putting in.

I hope this helped! You can message me if you have any questions

~Estelle

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Thinking Offline
Think, and solve problems!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ivan

Re: AP classes - February 23rd 2017, 07:34 AM

Hey there I can try to help with math (if that's what bothers you.) Free free to PM me if you need any help.

I can understand the fact that math is hard.. you are definitely not alone on this. Try iur best in your studies then you won't have to feel bad at all because you had done your best

Do my best at everything I can to live a happy, perfect life.

Happy life won't come by being happy everyday. Struggle and always work hard.

Forgive other's imperfection, they will work hard about it once I point it out to them, just like what I should be doing.

On the other hand, never tolerate with my own mediocrity. Never slack and always strive improvement.

Never settle. Never give up.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thinking 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: AP classes - February 23rd 2017, 08:15 PM

Hey there,

AP classes are all a little bit different in terms of difficulty. While some teachers are very homework-intensive, others are solely focused on getting you prepared for the AP test at the end of the year. In that sense, it's all a matter of what the teacher believes will be the most beneficial for the class as a whole when it comes to really grasping the material.

Since you'll just be starting your freshman year, I would recommend starting with 1 or 2 AP classes, just so you can get a feel for what they're like. You don't want to end up overloading yourself and not being able to fully dedicate yourself to your classes, after all. I personally really enjoyed my AP literature class and my AP psychology class, but it's a little different for everyone. I would recommend choosing an AP class in a subject that you're already passionate about, as it will make the class more enjoyable for you overall. If you're unsure, perhaps you could talk to your current teachers or a guidance counselor to see if they have any suggestions for you.

Good luck with making this decision!

Take care,
Sammi

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
Come as you are
Senior TeenHelper

Re: AP classes - February 26th 2017, 06:41 PM

Hey there Sage!

As a few others have said, AP classes will range in difficulty based on the subject matter and the teacher. For example, I normally struggle in the sciences, but did very well in my AP Environmental Sciences class because of my teacher! At my high school, AP Environmental Sciences and AP English Literature were considered the easiest AP classes, but this is only because of the teachers, not the subject matter.

If your high school is anything like mine was, you may not be able to enroll in AP courses until your junior year. If that's the case, try to take some honors classes freshman and sophomore year. High school classes are run differently than middle school, and immediately going into an AP classroom could be overwhelming. Definitely try to speak with students from your high school to see what their perspective is on AP classes, and set up a meeting with your guidance counselor and teachers so they can help get you on the best track for your education.

- Erin

wanderer come home
you're not too far
lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
come as you are.

VM | PM

Closed Thread