TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~anongirl~ Offline
Not a n00b

Name: anonymousgurl

report card post (again) - February 22nd 2017, 12:33 AM

I know I posted about this earlier this year. I'm sorry that I'm being annoying.

Anyways, I feel like I'm really struggling in some subjects. For instance, I suck at math and biology. Bio is kind of getting easier but math is just ugh...

Okay so here's the report card:

Biology: C
English: B+
Social Studies: B
Art: A
Spanish: A- ...about to become a B cuz we have exams coming up and I always get B's in those
Gym: A-
Math: C+

My classes are all considered honors on my report card, so my GPA is 3.0 right now.
These poor grades are really letting me down. I feel really slow and dumb because all my friends get A's in (almost) all their subjects, and the ones that don't only have like one B on their report card. And here I am with barely any A's and 2 freaking C's.
I'm already REALLY freaking out over finals (particularly with Math) because my grades keep getting lower and lower and I feel like I might fail the final.

Anyways, thanks for dealing with my rant

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: report card post (again) - February 22nd 2017, 12:44 AM

Hey there,
I'm sorry to hear your grades have been getting you down. Since you are struggling with Math, do you think you could talk to your teacher and try to get extra coaching or support for your course?
Also, it might be worth considering whether this is an issue of you not understanding the subject or not testing well. In case you aren't testing well, perhaps you can look into strategies such as taking a few deep breaths while testing.
Hope this helps a bit.
Cheers
Tort

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: report card post (again) - February 22nd 2017, 03:57 AM

Hey, you're always welcome to rant, no need to apologise. You definitely aren't annoying.

Your grades are actually really good and you should be proud of yourself, it's okay to be proud of yourself and still know you need to improve though. Like Tort said, are you able to talk to your teacher about your concerns? When I was struggling in Maths, I got extra sheets of work off the teacher to do at home and then if I was struggling with any questions I just asked her to go through them with me. Could you do that? Even getting one of your friends to help you with studying can be beneficial.

For spanish, could you have someone go through the work with you? Just help you learn what you need to know? You could study things in the way that your brain works, like if you have a photographic memory you could draw pictures relating to it, or highlight things so you remember them. If you were a kinesthetic learner you could link words to actions. Just whatever way your brain works, you can find a way to make studying easier.

Try not to stress too much, remember to breathe. If you are stressing a lot and you can't stop, vent to someone or type it out. Sometimes that can help relieve the stress of things just from it getting out there. Even getting a stress ball can help, maybe a few if you are stressing a lot.

When you are studying, try and do a bit a day, don't try and do it all in the same day. I know it can be hard to find the energy to even do anything that day, but it seriously makes life a lot easier if you just do something each day, even if it isn't much. You also remember things a lot easier the more frequently you go over it and the closer to the time you even originally learnt it. It's like when you learnt new words when you were younger, some words you never used again past when you learnt them so you just completely forget them, and some words you did over and over again so you remember them now. If you can't get the energy to learn something new one day, just copy over what you did the previous day. Repeating things helps. Also, bring snacks. Eating while studying means you aren't as likely to get bored or distracted, at least it helps me anyway. You can try things and see if it helps.

Basically, you can do this. Honestly you seem like a smart person and despite you doubting yourself, I think you've got this. Do your best, don't try and impress people, just do what you can do and believe you can do it. You're going to be great.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: report card post (again) - February 22nd 2017, 11:12 AM

Hey there,

You're not being annoying at all. Grades can change over the year, so it's okay to update us on how you are doing.

You grades aren't too bad at all. Even though you got lower grades in maths and biology, you've still done really well in all the other subjects!

I'm wondering if perhaps you could spend a bit more time on maths and biology to help boost your grade. Or perhaps ask your teacher or a friend for help on things you don't understand very well. It's important to remember that though you may be struggling with these subjects at the moment, it doesn't automatically mean that you will fail them or never understand them. You can always improve!

Try not to compare yourself to your friends. They may have better grades on paper, but they may also feel insecure about their grades too. If you wanted, perhaps you can ask them for help or how they study to get some tips from them and what they do to see if that helps improve your grades.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: report card post (again) - February 22nd 2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop14 View Post
I know I posted about this earlier this year. I'm sorry that I'm being annoying.

Anyways, I feel like I'm really struggling in some subjects. For instance, I suck at math and biology. Bio is kind of getting easier but math is just ugh...

Okay so here's the report card:

Biology: C
English: B+
Social Studies: B
Art: A
Spanish: A- ...about to become a B cuz we have exams coming up and I always get B's in those
Gym: A-
Math: C+

My classes are all considered honors on my report card, so my GPA is 3.0 right now.
These poor grades are really letting me down. I feel really slow and dumb because all my friends get A's in (almost) all their subjects, and the ones that don't only have like one B on their report card. And here I am with barely any A's and 2 freaking C's.
I'm already REALLY freaking out over finals (particularly with Math) because my grades keep getting lower and lower and I feel like I might fail the final.

Anyways, thanks for dealing with my rant

Hey there. First of all, I'd take a look at how much time you're dedicating to these classes. Honors classes are typically on par with college courses which require about 6-9 hours per class per week. Maybe you're just not dedicating enough time, or perhaps you're dedicating enough time but not studying wisely (i.e. avoiding sources of distraction like your phone, internet, etc.).

If that's not the case, maybe you are just slower in some subjects than your friends, but that's okay! I'm a Computer Science and Aerospace Engineer double major. But you know what? I'm slow as hell! It takes me FOREVER to grasp some concepts, and my peers can get a lot of these concepts instantaneously whereas I have to take my notes home, study them, read the book, and typically find sources online to actually understand the material. I typically spend 40 hours a week JUST on homework and preparing for class. Sometimes longer!

You might be tempted to think I just spend this long because my classes are difficult. You're wrong. I've had to study this much since being a freshman. Even in intro courses. I knew students that wouldn't study at all and pulled of A's. Not me. I had to bust my ass off.

I'm currently a 4.0 student. But I'm a 4.0 student because I work hard, study hard, delegate my time properly, and associate myself with those willing to help when I'm lost.

Maybe you're in a similar situation, I don't know. But let me tell you, I'm a 4.0 student now, but that wasn't the case in high school. I had worse grades than you and I wasn't taking honors courses. But guess what? I have experience with several aerospace contractors now.

This is my advice that I've found helpful for myself:
1) Stop comparing yourself to others; this will only let you down because no matter what someone is always better than you at everything.
2) Don't focus so much on your grades, focus on learning the material. That is, instead of worrying what your grades are, focus on actually understanding the material. This, in turn, will allow you to LEARN rather than WORRY about doing well. The emphasis is now on LEARNING rather than GRADES -- trust me this will motivate you and you'll enjoy the learning process a lot more, and then pulling 40-60 hour study weeks will be fun, not difficult.
3) Exercise, eat healthy, meditate. This reduces stress, increases focus, and memory retention.
4) Read your books before class, study your notes immediately after class, do your homework the same day, circle any problems you had and review them on another day.
5) Get help if you need it. Don't be ashamed or feel stupid to ask for help. You're in school to learn and ask questions.

Good luck.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Thinking Offline
Think, and solve problems!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ivan

Re: report card post (again) - February 23rd 2017, 06:42 AM

Hey I can help with math! If you have any problem about that please feel free to PM me.

I will not question how do you actually study them in school or at home, because I am assuming you are trying your best to study given that you care so much about your results. So I think you can get some help here through PM and hopefully it helps

Do my best at everything I can to live a happy, perfect life.

Happy life won't come by being happy everyday. Struggle and always work hard.

Forgive other's imperfection, they will work hard about it once I point it out to them, just like what I should be doing.

On the other hand, never tolerate with my own mediocrity. Never slack and always strive improvement.

Never settle. Never give up.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thinking 
Closed Thread