TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Overwhelmed/confused/unsure - April 19th 2017, 06:25 PM

I have an amazing job that I don't have any plans to change it as I enjoy it but my educational goals aren't met yet and I have been making steps to move forward in my life educational wise.

Some obstacles I have encountered:
1) I am waiting on this "package" to arrive from National Student Loans as I didn't pay my payments for the last 6 months. I am going to be going in a program so I am able to reapply for student loans from the Government.

2) my local College doesn't offer what I am looking for, they have classes but I would need to pay for them separately without a student loan, out of pocket. I have looked for online courses but nothing stands out.

3) I don't actually know what I want to take or even learn. I want to learn many things just not a single set program for a degree or certificate. I've taken those online tests which just tell me the same thing.

4) I was in a night class for math ungrading. I stopped going and have been kicked out and won't be able to apply till 12 months. I've thought of going somewhere else for math and science upgrading, but I am not motivated to be in a classroom with 15 plus students and self-taught/self-paced.

5) I am overwhelmed because nothing I want is available to me without moving cities or Provinces which I am not doing. The closest ive come is moving to Toronto but I would fall off the earth just to go to a College there (there is a College there which is a total scam) so I don't feel comfortable traveling somewhere else.

6) I am introverted and think logically, I think outside the box (problem solving, practical skills, looking at all avenues and possibilities, etc) and most of the courses or programs aren't even suitable for me anyways, maybe they are but I can't stand working with groups of people but giving speeches in front of hundreds of people I am fine.

I've searched online and come up with nothing. Nothing seems interesting, fits my schedule, isn't online, or offered part-time and I would need to take every single course in a program just to get a certificate or diploma. I haven't explored University but I don't think my grades are high enough to be accepted.

I have been out of College for 2 years now.

Confused. Overwhelmed.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Overwhelmed/confused/unsure - April 22nd 2017, 09:35 PM

Sorry you haven't had a reply sooner. I've been thinking about this for a little while, and I'll admit that is a tricky situation. No wonder you feel confused!

It's definitely good that you are taking steps to move forward in your life, including with education. As for finances, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to save up or wait until you are financially in a better place, before starting courses?

It must be hard when you are indecisive and want to learn many things, but not necessarily a certain subject for certificates. It also sounds like classroom based things aren't that much of an interest to you. I'm wondering if there are any community centres or libraries that might offer informal classes on things you are interested in? I do think it's still worth thinking about re-applying to the maths upgrading, even if you don't know what else you want to do.

If you are interested in continuing education, then there's nothing wrong with checking out universities and seeing what's on offer. That way if you find anything interesting, you can check out the requirements and can work on meeting them, if you don't already. You could also check out the Open University too. They are a distance learning UK based university but accept international students too (I think). You can also take individual modules on the things you are interested in (though they can be a bit expensive) rather than entire programs.

Otherwise, my best advice would be to wait and keep looking for things. It's better to look at your options and save up money, rather than rush into something that might not be right for you.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread