TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
tsum21 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Andi

Job Trouble - May 2nd 2017, 11:13 PM

Hi, I just turned 21 in April and I've been "unemployed" for almost a year. I've been applying for jobs and I haven't heard anything back from anyone. I put unemployed in quotations because technically I haven't been for the whole year, but I haven't been able to keep a job for over 2 months. So I'll start from the beginning.

When I was 18, right before I graduated high school, I got my first job at Chipotle. And I loved it, but I was only there for 3 months. I didn't want to go into work one day so I just quit on the spot. Being young and it was my first job, I wasn't comfortable with the whole calling off thing, but somehow I was able to go in and quit lol. After a few months I applied for a cafe/restaurant and I got the job. I worked there for almost 2 years. I met my boyfriend there, I was a shift supervisor and I loved my job. Towards the end I just had enough with the people and felt my work was overly undervalued. I had the most important job of the store. And the district manager wanted to hire people at a starting wage $0.25 more than I was getting. So one day I just didn't want to go in and I didn't go in for a few more days until I finally had the courage to go back. My manager wasn't so upset to fire me, but she gave me a chance to continue working. I stepped down from my position and worked as a cashier. The next week, I didn't want to go to work and I never went again. So this is where the trend began. I Just turned 20, but I was glad I wasn't working for the company anymore.

I decided I wanted to take a little break. Last summer I didn't work but I decided I wanted to go back to school. When school started I got a job at another restaurant. I worked for 3 days and never went back. Later on I got a job at a hotel for weekends only. I worked 1 weekend and I never went back. After a month of going to school I dropped out...

Around November my boyfriend and I started working at the same restaurant we worked at before but in a different city about 20 min from me, 40 min on public transportation. I don't drive so it cost me $9 everyday just to get to and from work. I applied for the Supervisor position and I was going to be making more money so I was fine with it. In the beginning they had me work as a cashier to refresh my mind. Now I'm a fast learner and I have a good memory. I just had to get used to their set up and how they did things differently. The other managers at the cafe knew I was a Supervisor at my old store but they treated my as if I wasn't able to handle anything. I really didn't like the people working there and I hated the 1.5 hours for transportation when I could've been making more money somewhere closer to my house. SO, in January this year I stopped going in.

In February, I got a job at Starbucks. I always thought I'd like to work at Starbucks because I get drinks from there at least 4 times a week. I was super excited, but a few days after my training started I stopped going...AGAIN

Since then, I have been unemployed. I'm broke, and I used my tax return to pay my credit card and phone bills. I didn't realize having no money would make me so depressed. I don't want to go out anymore, I don't want to do anything. I wake up late and stay up late at night. I stay at home everyday and do crossword puzzles because I have anxiety and it keeps me focused. I've gained weight. The only thing that motivated me is my boyfriend. We live together but he's always at work. And I feel like I'm so dependant on him because I don't want to do anything without him. Whereas before when I was working I was prefectly fine going out alone or with other friends. Oh yeah and I don't really have any friends either. All of my friends in high school drifted away except one. But he's in the army so we talk often, but I see him once a year. My other childhood friend is not really any help at all. She's a really good friend of mine but I feel she doesn't have any experience like I do since she never had a job, and she's focused on guys right now, like she has always been.

I know I haven't been trying my hardest to find a job. I've been applying to jobs here and there but I haven't heard anything. The other day I applied to a cafe by my house and the woman said "you haven't worked in a while." On my resume I only have my first two jobs, since I don't think anything else really counts. She said she might give me a call if this other person doesn't do so well. But it made me realize that maybe no one is contacting me back because on my resume it shows I haven't worked in a year. It says I went to school but only until December. So it looks like I haven't done anything since then.

Today I want to start getting shiz done. I'm tired of feeling like this, like I'm worthless. I can't even pay for dinner or drinks when I go out with my boyfriend. I'm tired of sitting on my butt most of the day. I want to feel accomplished with myself.

What I'm trying to get at overall is, should I put down the 3 month job on my resume to make it seem like I have done something since June last year? And is there other stuff I could be doing or add to my resume.

Thanks for reading, anything helps

-Andi

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Job Trouble - May 3rd 2017, 12:00 AM

Hey there and welcome

I think you should put down any job you were at for a significant amount of time. It also sounds like you need to take some time to really figure out what you want. If you have anxiety or depression, then look into getting it treated, if you want to work then you need to keep the jobs you get. You can't just decide to stop going in and/or quit after a few days or because you don't feel like working or because you want more respect or whatever. If you want to go to school, fine, but you should stick with it. I know school isn't for everyone, but you've developed a very concerning pattern here of just quitting whenever you don't like something about a job. You'll probably have to start at the bottom with a new employer and work your way up and develop the reliability of showing up when you're scheduled or calling off when you really need to even when you don't feel like working that day. It's possible that they're calling your other manager and being told that you were management and just suddenly stopped showing up. I think that's going to hurt you more than anything and the more of a history you have of doing this, the harder it will be to get hired again.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Job Trouble - May 3rd 2017, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
Hey there and welcome

I think you should put down any job you were at for a significant amount of time. It also sounds like you need to take some time to really figure out what you want. If you have anxiety or depression, then look into getting it treated, if you want to work then you need to keep the jobs you get. You can't just decide to stop going in and/or quit after a few days or because you don't feel like working or because you want more respect or whatever. If you want to go to school, fine, but you should stick with it. I know school isn't for everyone, but you've developed a very concerning pattern here of just quitting whenever you don't like something about a job. You'll probably have to start at the bottom with a new employer and work your way up and develop the reliability of showing up when you're scheduled or calling off when you really need to even when you don't feel like working that day. It's possible that they're calling your other manager and being told that you were management and just suddenly stopped showing up. I think that's going to hurt you more than anything and the more of a history you have of doing this, the harder it will be to get hired again.
This is what I was going to say. I often don't feel like going into work either, but I would never just not show up. It's important to think about how important your jobs were, especially when you were a supervisor, and how much work did not get done because you were not there. Most jobs require references, and even if they didn't fire you for not showing up, it's very likely they are mentioning that you are not reliable.

I think it would be best to start from the bottom and not expect to be promoted to a supervisory position right away. Even if you have experience as one, a company will want you to work with them for a bit so they can make sure you would do a good job. Additionally, as long as you were at a job for a few months, I think it's fine to put it on your resume. Gaps do look pretty bad in the working world, and employers will require a reason for it. Deciding not to go to work anymore isn't a valid reason. I also think in your application process, you should consider printing out your resume, and asking to hand it directly to the manager at any establishment you are applying at. It will look better to them if they can put a face to the name, rather than just read a piece of paper.

It could be helpful if you took some of those career quizzes to see what kind of jobs or fields you might like. When I was in middle school they had us take one of those quizzes and I got therapist as my top result. 7 years later I'm in the human services field, and I work at an in-home care agency as a supervisor. It was really helpful for me.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MorbidDaisies Offline
< < • > >
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Re: Job Trouble - May 3rd 2017, 11:27 AM

Hey there! Welcome to TeenHelp!

I was in the same situation as you but recently got a job at a hotel. I finished school 5 years ago and I went through some horrible luck with jobs and there was a period for about 3.5 years and I did not have any luck with jobs but I did a lot of volunteering work and volunteering work is great because you have something to do and it makes your resume/ CV look great. I also did a lot of work experience, I went into hairdressers, child care, cafés, even the hospital and asked if I could do some work experience just to build up something on my resume. It worked! 2 months ago I finally got a job in a hotel.

You could look into volunteering jobs like in a aged care place or an animal shelter. Work experience is great and also going to career counsellor is great too. They can point you in the right direction.

Have you thought about doing extra study?

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
tsum21 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Andi

Re: Job Trouble - May 8th 2017, 01:17 AM

Quick and straight to the point reply:

I revised my resume and I got a job today! It's only part time but money is money

Closed Thread