TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Exclamation Online classes - May 17th 2017, 07:35 AM

So, I have my fall schedule set up already for the university I currently attend. Turns out with my summer classes, because I haven't submitted the paperwork to the disability center at the community college I'll attend over the summer, I have a really bad registration date so all the classes I wanted and needed to take are either closed or waitlisted, except one. In the fall, the community college will offer free classes for all the residents of my city (which since I'm living in the dorms on campus technically I'll be a resident) so I have the opportunity to take those classes for free in the fall and onward. If I turn in the disability paperwork during the summer before my registration for the fall date, I could get a really good registration date. Thing is, I have to reapply to the community college saying I'm gonna go in the fall. This is where I'm undecided.
I'm taking 5 classes, 16 units in the fall at my university already, one of which is my internship class that I plan on getting hours in during the summer. I might not be able to take the classes I want in the summer, so I'll have to improvise and take random classes to get those units. I'm supposed to graduate in the fall after this coming one according to the plan I have set where I take classes at cc in the summer 17 and summer 18. With this new introduction of free classes, I won't have to worry about finances but I do have to worry about time consumption.
I have classes all week, some days just one and others 2 or 3 that last 1 hour up to 3 hours. Being physically there wouldn't be an issue because its a 20min bus ride, but I would want to take online classes for ease.

TL;DR: I want to take fall classes, but would it be wise with my already filled schedule? Please help me decide, and quick!! Classes are already filling!!

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Online classes - May 17th 2017, 05:35 PM

I'd say it honestly depends on how rigorous of a course load you are having. I know that with my internship, they don't recommend taking more than 12 credits that semester. Our internship is 6 credits on its own, meaning they don't really recommend taking more than 3 classes.

Now, 15 credits is pretty much the standard full-time load, at least at my school, so you pretty much are on a full-time schedule with that.

Consider how much work you'll have to put into all of the classes you are already taking during the fall. How many hours do you think you'll have to dedicate to the internship? To the rest of your classes, including outside of class work and study time? Will it be too overwhelming and too demanding of you to take even more classes on top of what you already are taking, plus other life responsibilities? Perhaps you can make out a little schedule for yourself and see if that helps.

The other thing to consider is if either of your schools have a drop period, meaning that if you no longer wish to take the class you can drop it without a mark being left on your transcript. This is always an option if you give taking more classes a try and it becomes too much. Before you do this though consider your standing at both schools if you drop. For example, at my school if you go below 12 credits (Typically 4 classes) you are considered part time which can affect your financial aid and you can no longer live on campus. It may not be as bad of a problem if your community college is free.

Closed Thread