TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lesley_J Offline
Wanderer
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lesley Vos

Unhappy Teacher says I've plagiarized my essay... - October 12th 2017, 09:03 AM

Hi guys,

The story first:

One of my students wrote me on Facebook with a screenshot of his persuasive essay and said that the teacher didn't want to accept it because it had been plagiarized. He sweared by all gods he didn't copy it and asked me to check it and prove this essay's original nature to his teacher. (There were tons of grammar and formatting mistakes in his work, but it's a different story...)
I recommended to scan the essay with PlagiarismCheck tool and use its report as a proof, and it happened that work had no duplications indeed!

Want to ask you:

Do your teachers often accuse you of plagiarism in academic works? What are your weapons to prove you are not guilty?

Or, you do your homework like this? (see the pic)

Last edited by Celyn; October 12th 2017 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Please don't post links to lead users off-site/Advertising

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Hanna Banana Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Hanna

Re: Teacher says I've plagiarized my essay... - October 12th 2017, 03:52 PM

I have never had this happen to me as I don't ever take anything from Google or Wikipedia directly into my essays, but I imagine it happens. I guess if this was to happen I would straight ask the teacher what were there specific concerns and if they seem valid I would adjust them. If not I would give my side of the story and why I wrote it the way I did. Some teachers choose to listen and others just want to be bitches and give the students a hard time. Right now my English teacher is cool and would listen to my concerns and we would have good dialog. Basically I think that is all you can do as a student. If you do have a A-Hole for a teacher unfortunately you are at there mercy and they can either give you a failing grade or tell you to do it over again for a reduced grade. It may not be fair but really as a student you don't have much choice.

"Every challenge is an opportunity to prove to the world that you are, Extraordinary."~ Lzzy Hale of Halestorm

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: Teacher says I've plagiarized my essay... - October 12th 2017, 04:59 PM

Wikipedia and Google are the least reliable sources for research papers and writing an essay. If a student has been graded an F because of plagiarism, then they have to accept that unless they can prove otherwise. Alternately, they can take that penalty and re-do the essay for a lower grade. But how is anyone going to accept responsibility for wrong-doing if they can't take accountability for their actions? It begins as young children, when they are told "Don't hit!" or "Don't push your sister!" parents are getting it put in their children's mind that anything that can put you behind bars as an adult is wrong. They have X number of years to prepare for it, depends on when the feisty temper tantrums start.

Also, I don't know what exactly that link was before the moderator deleted it, but I am almost positive that something which claims to check something's verifiablity online is bogus. Even if it were legitimate, it wouldn't cover every single published works and homework ever written. That'd be a very narrow range of works, if any legitimate ones at all.

As someone who once wanted to be a teacher and still believes in helping the youth of today and tomorrow, I strongly believe students should do their own work and don't hesitate to ask for help if they aren't sure about a source or whether or not they're copying another person's work. With so many things having been published today, you're bound to question if something has already been said in publication before. And chances are, it has.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kyburg Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Teacher says I've plagiarized my essay... - October 12th 2017, 07:42 PM

Plagiarism is not just copying from the Internet, it's also copying off of other students' papers. When I was at high school, we had two guys who handed in the exact same essay. Both received 0 and were punished with a Saturday evening DT.

I avoid accusations of plagiarism by referencing as meticulously as possible. A lot of my friends when we started uni this year were asking about referencing and plagiarism and stuff like that. Our Professor just told us to always reference, even if it's really poor, because that way you get marked down for bad referencing and not failed/sent to disciplinary tribunal for plagiarism. Moral of the story: reference everything. It's just too risky not to.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Teacher says I've plagiarized my essay... - October 12th 2017, 10:13 PM

My first question is who are you in relation to this boy? You sound like a parent or guardian but you call the boy your "student" and you're not this teacher in the original post. Are you a school counselor? Or a different teacher?

Secondly, I suggest you, him and the teacher along with any significant adult in his life sit down and have a serious talk. The best way to understand why a teacher did something is to ask directly. Let's say the teacher was totally misguided and framed the student and accused him, you will learn from speaking directly. You got the student's perspective so get the teacher's. That might inform your understanding deeper.

Copying your own or someone else's work is plagiarism. So is not citing the sources. (Making mistakes in bibliography may or may not be plagiarism depending how bad the errors are)
In addition, screenshotting an essay won't work with a check tool that takes in texts. That's messy terrirory. So is the grammar and spellibv errors seem slightly fishy to me.

Quote:
Also, I don't know what exactly that link was before the moderator deleted it, but I am almost positive that something which claims to check something's verifiablity online is bogus.
Don't know which one but professors do have access to their own plagiarism checking tool and it isn't bogus but it is definitely nof a stand alone checker. It is used as a supplement. And it might not even be accessible to ordinary people;reserved for educators.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Teacher says I've plagiarized my essay... - October 14th 2017, 09:06 PM

My university uses a common plagiarism checker called TurnItIn. It doesn't just check for complete duplications but it checks the submission line by line too. If a person is going to write an essay it must be wholly their own work. Anything that has been taken from another source, such as quotes or statistical information must always be referenced otherwise it would indeed be classed as plagiarism.

Secondly, I have always worked under the of resource priority. When conducting research for an essay and gathering information, always use information from a primary source first. For example if I were to be writing a paper on the types of products Apple sell, a primary source of information is to go directly to their website, whereas a technology website who has taken the information from said site, regurgitated it and included it into their own site would be considered secondary information. As for the likes of Wikipedia, that would be considered a tertiary source of information and can quite often be unreliable specifically because it can be edited not just by professionals but by anyone who comes to view the pages.

To protect against plagiarism, if an assignment/essay is permitted to be resubmitted a number of times to a plagiarism-checking submission tool like TurnItIn, it's a good idea to take advantage of it to determine what lines have been used before and what have not. Obvious lines such as quotes will often appear as 'copied' but so long as they're cited in the essay bibliography there wouldn't be an issue.

Finally, and this should be an obvious one, but always write things in your own words. It's easy to write things out or copy and paste tiny bits of a sentence here and there, but an essay/report/assignment is about showing what knowledge you have as a person and demonstrating your research skills, not how much you can swipe from either online or offline sources. In addition, I don't mean re-writing a word by simply taking a sentence and just replacing a word here and there, anybody can do that and it's still not technically your own work, but if you full on write the words into a way that you can show you've understood the content and show what you're trying to explain, it's a good way not to be flagged for a crime you didn't commit, so to speak.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Teacher says I've plagiarized my essay... - October 15th 2017, 04:52 AM

I like to look beyond plagiarism and identify what the student's strengths are. e.g. for the two students who handed in the same paper, that means they are good at collaborating with each other. Those collaborating skills may come in handy later in life. Hone that collaborating skill. Give them an assignment that requires that kind of collaborating.

(Of course, then you'll likely discover one of them is the brain, and the other is the moocher. Then you can teach the brain to recognize when they are being taken advantage of.)

(The moocher is likely an Artisan. Artisans love challenges. They love to figure out creative ways of getting things accomplished that no one else can do, e.g. how to get homework done without doing any work. Give them more challenges. Everybody learns something (even the teachers!))

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Lesley_J Offline
Wanderer
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lesley Vos

Re: Teacher says I've plagiarized my essay... - October 17th 2017, 08:01 AM

Thank you all for your comments!

Quote:
Also, I don't know what exactly that link was before the moderator deleted it
It led to a plagiarism check tool [Edited]

As I can see from the discussion, the best ways to avoid accusations are:

- to write with own words
- to check for duplications with the help of tools (they are many, but the challenge is to find a reputable one)
- to give references! always!

Last edited by Celyn; October 27th 2017 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Please don't post links to lead users off-site/Advertising

Closed Thread